Sign in with
Your question

First time building a PC (gaming)

Last response: in Systems
May 14, 2012 7:08:44 PM

Hey all, this is my first time building a PC and I would like some feedback regarding the parts I have chosen carefully. It will be a gaming PC and the resolution will be 1920x1080. I’m just worried if the parts I’ve chosen aren’t compatible with each other or something; for example, is the motherboard good enough? I know the psu is good enough but will it support overclocking and stuff like that, and will the cpu cooler support overclocking the 2600k? I still have a lot to learn regarding overclocking but since I don’t intend on overclocking any time soon it’s not too big a deal, it's just something that I will be interested in in the future. And is 16gb of ram too much? I originally went with 8gb but I have a budget of $1500 so I was able to raise it to 16gb no problem for future-proofing and dual monitoring purposes. I also intend on dual monitoring sometime, for instance playing Diablo 3 and skyping on the other monitor (much to my gf’s chagrin). I want my PC to be fairly future-proofed so I chose an i7 so I wouldn’t have to worry about it for a long time (I plan on buying an i7 over an i5 no matter what; I know I’ll hear some i5’s > i7’s for gaming due to price but I have the money) and that’s also why I opted with 16gb of RAM (although I may downgrade to 8gb if somebody suggests it seeing as how I could probably just buy 16gb of RAM in the future when it’s cheaper if 8gb is all I need for gaming and ***). The hard drive is something I already have so it’s technically not included in my budget, I’m just wondering if it’s a good enough hard drive as it is kind of old compared to the other parts I chose, but it still has 7200rpm and 250gb is all I need as I tend to delete things I don’t use, and I also intend to buy an SSD soon after I build my PC. It’s a WD2500JD. Also, I have some old optical drives that I plan on using if that’s a normal thing to do? Lastly, I chose a GTX 680 but I’m not sure how hard they are to obtain and I’m not going to wait for them to come in stock when I start to build my PC (in the next couple of days I’ll go over to Canada computers and buy the parts/order the parts they don’t have online), so which gpu should I choose over it if I can’t find a 680? I was thinking an HD 7970, a gtx 570 ti, or gtx 580. I just want to make sure I don’t run into any compatibility issues when building my PC, for instance the cpu cooler being an inefficient cooler for the cpu or the motherboard not being good enough for the other parts. I’ve done quite a bit of research so I’m pretty confident my parts will work well with each other, it would just suck to find out I missed something. The case I chose isn’t the one I’m going to settle with, I’m just looking for one in that price range ($80) but I’ll find one at the store or something. Although, the mobo I chose doesn’t have any usb 3.0 headers, so does that mean I need to find a case without usb headers or will the usb headers still work, they’ll just be usb 2.0 headers? I don’t need to use usb 3.0 headers that’s for sure but usb 2.0 headers are something I’d probably take advantage of. I admit I’m not tech-savvy so any feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated as I plan on building my PC in the next couple of days and I will be checking for any replies constantly because over the past few weeks building a PC and learning about the factors surrounding it has really generated my interest and I’ve been doing a bunch of research and educating myself. Thanks guys.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($259.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.90 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($97.98 @ Amazon)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE 250GB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (WD2500JD) ($69.94 @ Amazon) http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200309/20030904WD...
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card ($507.55 @ Newegg) (or HD 7970)
Case: Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced ATX Mid Tower Case ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1301.19
Peripherals: 24” Samsung monitor, Razor DeathAdder Mouse, Razor Ultimate Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, shitty headset

More about : time building gaming

May 14, 2012 7:35:30 PM

Look for a case with front USB 3.0 ports seeing how all the new Z77 boards come with a front 3.0 USB header. Also 8GB of RAM is over kill for gaming. The only reason so many people are buying 8GB of RAM these days is because RAM is dirt cheap atm. 16GB is great if you plan on doing some hard core video editing, CAD, Adobe Photoshop, etc... otherwise it's crazy over kill.

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carbide-Tower-Gaming-Comp... $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case - CC-9011011-WW

http://www.corsair.com/pc-cases/carbide-series-pc-case/... <----- another look at that case along with links to professional reviews

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carbide-300R-Mid-Tower-Ga... $75.84 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair Carbide Series 300R Mid-Tower Gaming Case - CC-9011014-WW

http://www.corsair.com/carbide-series-300r-compact-pc-g... <----- another look at that case along with links to professional reviews

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... $259.99
Intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $129.99 FREE SHIPPING
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z77%20Extre... <----- another look at that board along with the latest bios update

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/asrock_z77_extreme... <----- review of that board w/benchmarks

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... $39.99
Crucial 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5818/nvidia-geforce-gtx-6... <----- gtx 670 review w/benchmarks $400
m
l
May 14, 2012 8:16:46 PM

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Total: $1182.39

This is probably what I'll settle with, except the gpu could turn out to be a 670 or 7970, and as I stated I have the hdd already and I'm gonna get an ssd soon, any suggestions on what brand? I'm looking for a 120-160gb ssd to go with my 250gb hdd (I don't tend to use that much space), I just want the gaming benefits of an ssd. How does this build look? The cpu will stay the same no matter what as I have a good deal on the 2600k and don't need an ivy bridge processor bcuz I plan to OC my 2600k with my hyper 212 evo.
m
l
Related resources
May 14, 2012 8:39:49 PM

Flangdoogler said:
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Total: $1182.39

This is probably what I'll settle with, except the gpu could turn out to be a 670 or 7970, and as I stated I have the hdd already and I'm gonna get an ssd soon, any suggestions on what brand? I'm looking for a 120-160gb ssd to go with my 250gb hdd (I don't tend to use that much space), I just want the gaming benefits of an ssd. How does this build look? The cpu will stay the same no matter what as I have a good deal on the 2600k and don't need an ivy bridge processor bcuz I plan to OC my 2600k with my hyper 212 evo.

In regards to an SSD....any brand but OCZ. Mushkin, Kingston, etc... all decent these days with the recent firmware updates.

I'm just curious as to why the older SB cpu over the IB? The IB gives you native USB 3.0,more transistors, PCI-E 3.0 not to mention it beats the SB in every benchmark Iv'e seen to date. In fact I can't think of one good reason to go with the older tech SB cpu. So what gives with that?
m
l
May 14, 2012 11:36:32 PM

Hmm well it was just the price mainly, but a lot of people are suggesting the IB over what I've chosen. I heard the IB heats up a lot more than the SB so I was worried that my hyper evo 212 wouldn't be able to handle it. If so, which IB would you suggest (assuming the 3770k?) and would I have to change anything in my build to support the IB? For instance, do my mobo and cooler support it?
m
l
May 14, 2012 11:47:18 PM

If this is a gaming rig I'd actually recommend the i5-2500k. It would probably give you the biggest bang for your buck. Ivy Bridge doesn't offer much for a high end desktop, and it doesn't overclock any better than the i5-2500k.

As for an SSD, I'd avoid the older sandforce controller-based SSDs. Besides that, drives with toggle-NAND flash tend to do the best in benchmarks, but the most important thing is the price/GB. Samsung/Mushkin/Sandisk/Crucial/OCZ/ADATA all have good drives (in many cases almost identical). Look for a sale on a drive that doesn't have any glaring problems (Bad reviews, consumer / professional).

I have a few crucial m4's, an old intel 25x-m, and a few OCZ drives and they all work great. It's much harder to distinguish differences in speed between SSDs as compared to upgrading an HDD to an SSD.
m
l
May 14, 2012 11:49:16 PM

Sorry for not completely reading your original post. I'd still say I believe the i5-2500k is just as future proof as an i7-2600k though. The i7 is oriented towards different types of workloads. And my SB over IB comments I believe are still relevant.
m
l
May 14, 2012 11:59:27 PM

Why_Me said:
In regards to an SSD....any brand but OCZ. Mushkin, Kingston, etc... all decent these days with the recent firmware updates.

I'm just curious as to why the older SB cpu over the IB? The IB gives you native USB 3.0,more transistors, PCI-E 3.0 not to mention it beats the SB in every benchmark Iv'e seen to date. In fact I can't think of one good reason to go with the older tech SB cpu. So what gives with that?

Most boards have usb 3.0, which is NOT natively supported in IB (maybe you meant PCIe 3.0?). Also, IB vs SB for overclocked machines behave almost the same in benchmarks. Sometimes SB wins. A big focus with IB was with Intel HD4000 graphics, which are not important for a computer with a 670/680 :p .

IBs primary target was the mobile / laptop space, bringing high performance to smaller form factors. Remember, IB was primarily a die-shrink project.

Also, with the cards out today, PCI 3.0 won't provide you any benefit according to most experts. I tend to upgrade my machines mostly all at once so you might get bottlenecked by pcie 2.0 if you plan on buying something better than a 680 before you upgrade machines.
m
l
May 15, 2012 12:29:38 AM

Here's a good read.

Quote:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4830/intels-ivy-bridge-ar...
Ivy Bridge finally supports USB 3.0 natively. The consumer 7-series chipsets feature 14 total USB ports, 4 of which are USB 3.0 capable. The CPU itself features 16 PCIe (1x16, 2x8 or 1x8 + 2x4) gen 3 lanes to be used for graphics and/or high performance IO. You will only see Gen 3 speeds on qualified motherboards. It's technically possible on 6-series motherboards but guaranteed on 7-series motherboards. The Z77 and H77 chipsets will support Intel's Smart Response Technology (SRT, aka SSD caching) which is a Z68 exclusive today.
m
l
May 15, 2012 3:01:02 AM

Ah, I was just thinking about processor features. It seems like the panther point chipset will support USB3.0 natively, reducing the need for an additional usb 3.0 controller on MOBOs supporting IB. I would still call that a feature of the chipset rather than IB though.
m
l
!