1joeking1

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Please bear with me as i am new to this. I have a HP slimline s3700y with a 165 watt psu.I want to put a higher power rated one in it's place. my question is, can i place a "regular size" one mounted on the outside of the case, if so what connectors and or adapters would i need? thinking about a 500 watter. Thanks

noctis893

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
I've seen external cased PSU+GPU Combos for laptops so i wouldn't say that this would be impossible.

Although i'd say there'll need to be some amount of custom fabrication to mount the psu externally, plus it would look pretty untidy with wires looping out of that into your pc case.

But, if looks aren't a problem, you can remove your old power supply then have your ATX and PCI connectors run through that existing hole in the back where the old PSU was. You may need some extension cables for each connector to reach, but other than that i Can't see why that wouldn't work.

noctis893

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Or alternatively you could just look at buying a mid size case (pretty cheap and can be found for under $100)

And transfer the hardware to the new case along with your brand new power supply.

1joeking1

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
well, i like the new case idea. especially if it comes with psu. what kind of adapter would i need for the psu. (my motherboard is requiring a mini 24 pin)?

1joeking1

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011

Right on! thank's for the info. much appreciated.