AM3 or AM3+ , Does it Matter?

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
I have accumulated almost enough spare parts to put a system together. I have a spare PhenomII 955Be, 4Gb Crucial Ballistix DDR3 @ 1333Mhz (2 X 2Gb), an OCZ Fatality 550 Watt psu, MSI GTS250 gpu, an older WD 160Gb hd and a CoolerMaster case to put it all in. This is just going to be a spare/ work bench pc for now, but at some point may be upgraded more as a back-up gamer.
The only thing I really need to put this all together is a motherboard. Since this is just mainly a project to use old parts and fill my time, I only want to spend $50-70 on the board.
Is there any disadvantage to using an AM3+ board for this build? They dont seem more expensive than the comparable AM3 boards, and I wanted to leave the door open for a future upgrade to an AM3+ cpu if AMD ever ends up releasing a decent one in the future. Is there anything about using an AM3 cpu in the AM3+ socket that would hinder performance? I will be playing around with overclocking since its a BE processor. I have my eye on a couple of AM3, and 3 or 4, AM3+ boards on Newegg...just waiting for one to go on sale

orkie

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
I think you guys might be misinterpreting his question, The OP wants to use an AM3+ board, he is just concerned if there will be any disadvantages to doing that as hes CPU is "AM3". I don't know the answer personally though. :p

There are no issues, sometimes we take for granted these things in our responses but, had there been an issue we were aware of, it would've been included as a warning of sorts.