How can I get my own webserver online?

pellel

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
I have a machine with IIS installed. My problem know is what the next step to make my webpages available to the public should be.

I guess I need to get in contact with an ISP that can give me a fixed ip-adress (or vould a dynamic ip-adress be sufficient?), get a unique domain name and register these with a DNS-operator somewhere...Please correct me if these assumptions are wrong.

My real problem is how to plug everything together. In what order should everything be. I have a broadband modem, a router/switch and of course my soon to be (hopefully) webserver....

What is the next step for me to get my webserver online?

riser

Illustrious
Register your domain through whatever site.. give it a few days to replication around the internet.. registering your domain you can assign the needed information to point to your webserver.. you can use your dynamic IP address if it doesn't change, otherwise, you'll need a static which costs more money.. and aside from that, broadband companies still don't like you using their service for webpages unless you pay for their upgraded service.

Check with your broadband on that.. then check into registering your domain, they should have something somewhere in there to help you register with dns for the internet.