Sign in with
Your question

Kepler: All that or none of that?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 12, 2012 3:05:03 AM

Hey everyone, it's me Azeem. I was wondering what everyone thinks of the Kepler release coming about this month? I personally don't see anything great on it. I mean, there isn't even proof showing if Kepler will be as big as everyone says it will be. How can you be so sure Kepler will be that big of a success? Just because NVIDIA says so? Isn't it possible they are just trying to scare AMD? What are your thoughts on this? Please, no flaming. Thanks.

More about : kepler

a c 179 U Graphics card
March 12, 2012 3:37:20 AM

You could be very well right I guess we will have to see. I mean look how long it is taking to get it to us. But on the other hand maybe they needed to see how AMD is doing and what they are up against.

Well just have wait and see. I don't know if you saw this here on Tom's but here it is again. It is just going around on the threads.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-Kepler-GPU-GeFo...
a c 141 U Graphics card
March 12, 2012 3:49:17 AM

if you look at the rumor you will know we know absolutely nothing. so many rumor and some of them were contradict to each other. one way or another we will know for sure when the card get reviewed. btw people seems to think that kepler will be great since the GK104 which was supposed to be nvidia mid-range but it will compete with amd own flagship.
Related resources
a c 126 U Graphics card
March 12, 2012 4:20:33 AM

Just go by the BENCHMARKS.
Also, keep in mind that these new cards will perform even better compared to other cards once games are optimized for them, especially for Tessellation.

Of course the new Kepler and current HD7xxx series use the 28nm die size which makes much cooler cards (some are HALF the power of similar previous cards).

As for Kepler's architecture, I believe there will be several things:
1) more tessellation
2) more Compute features
3) PhysX 3 hardware (for future games that are written with the new PhysX 3 for more physics)
4) better multi-monitor support than previous?
5) better anti-aliasing than previous?

So there are quite a few features to look out for.
March 12, 2012 6:16:12 AM

Better than eyefinity? If so, I MIGHT get an NVIDIA GPU.
a c 179 U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 1:19:26 AM

I like Nvidia cards. I don't think I have ever used a AMD card at all. But before I would buy the new Kepler, I am going to wait for a while untill all the little bugs are worked out of them.

Plus see how the benchmarking turns out and of course the price. It is going to take the deves a while to push up the games to match. They are still fixing all the old games with patchs.
March 13, 2012 2:39:31 AM

I'm using 7970 and it's great so far as rumor goes a 660 or was it the 670ti or something is like 10-15% better or so, but over all i can't wait to see kepler cards to test them my self but now seeing in the rumors that nvidia's new mid range cards would be better if not same level as 7970 makes me think the price for those new cards would be at 400$-500$ and probably 680 might even go with a 700$-900$ which I'm not sure my self but if it is damn.
March 13, 2012 5:52:08 AM

I doubt nvidia's multimonitor system will be better than AMD's eyefinity even when the Keppler cards are released. Just what I think.

P.S: I wonder why all my topics end up being scarce in replies. *sigh*
a c 141 U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 10:02:36 AM

^ well that's what you think. for me i can't predict or speculate when we know absolutely nothing about it. so far we just know the card will have 2 dvi, 1 hdmi and 1 display port (based on the leaked pic floating around the web) but there are no rumors saying nvidia kepler will be able to drive 3 monitor on single card. people only speculate 'it might be able to' based on the leaked pic they have seen
March 14, 2012 6:38:58 AM

Got 7970 so far... Not really impressed by AMD (lack of PhysX is a very bad thing). I really wanna see Kepler's benchmarks when it comes out!
a c 179 U Graphics card
March 14, 2012 11:50:44 PM

We will get our answers just around the corner. I will be glued to watching for the benchmarking on the Kepler. I can't wait.
March 15, 2012 5:13:27 AM

Veirtimid said:
Got 7970 so far... Not really impressed by AMD (lack of PhysX is a very bad thing). I really wanna see Kepler's benchmarks when it comes out!

So you assume just because you play PhysX games and you chose an AMD GPU that it is bad?
March 15, 2012 5:55:55 PM

azeem40 said:
So you assume just because you play PhysX games and you chose an AMD GPU that it is bad?

I think Nvidia was and always will be a clear winner in a competition with AMD of the same generation video cards, because of two undebatable advantages:

1. Fantastic drivers

2. PhysX

And yes, that's more than big enough reason to say it is bad.
a c 179 U Graphics card
March 16, 2012 1:20:46 AM

^+1
I agree with Veirtimid. I like nVidia cards the best on the high end. AMD pretty much rules on the low end of cards and AMD has problems with there drivers all the time.
March 16, 2012 6:43:29 AM

Yeah, it is true that it took AMD one extra generation's high-end card to surpass the 580's performance. I still don't think pure performance is the considering factor in choosing a graphics card. Sure nVIDIA has the raw power of the high end cards in their arsenal, but AMD has the compromise of power and consumption and heat that nVIDIA could only dream of having. Also, it depends on the card you get and the problems that come with it. Like I said before, I didn't make this thread so people can boast about their favorite company. Heck, I wasn't even talking about the 5xx vs 6xxx generation (nVIDIA vs AMD). The question was about Kepler and how successful everyone thinks it will be, so it has already derailed from the initial topic. This was made for discussion, not for what is better between the two companies.
March 16, 2012 6:44:48 AM

Also, physX only applies to a vast minority of games, so including that in a general discussion between the two, wherever it started, is moot.
a c 141 U Graphics card
March 16, 2012 11:10:21 AM

Quote:
AMD has the compromise of power and consumption and heat that nVIDIA could only dream of having

that's not entirely true. aside from nvidia flagship chip their mid range and low end do offer reasonable power consumption and heat though they still can't beat amd directly on that front. during the 200 series nvidia was known to have more efficient card than amd. sure GF100 was quite disaster to some but the nvidia did manage to fix the problem with GF104 and below. with Fermi 2.0 they able to reduce the power consumption even further.

Quote:
The question was about Kepler and how successful everyone thinks it will be

i don't have the crystal ball to predict that even with all rumor that floating around Kepler. if you look all the rumor you know what i mean.

Quote:
Also, physX only applies to a vast minority of games, so including that in a general discussion between the two, wherever it started, is moot.

minority or not they do offer something that the competition doesn't have. the same can be said with eyefinity. btw it seems a lot of people think very few games use physx as their physic engine which is not true. for quite sometime physx and bullet serves as an alternative to developer that looking for physics engine other than havok
March 16, 2012 4:58:43 PM

renz496 said:

minority or not they do offer something that the competition doesn't have. the same can be said with eyefinity. btw it seems a lot of people think very few games use physx as their physic engine which is not true. for quite sometime physx and bullet serves as an alternative to developer that looking for physics engine other than havok

Nvidia supports 3 displays as well:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/triple-monitor-gaming-on-...
March 16, 2012 4:59:08 PM

Actually, eyefinity can add more immersion, something that is more constant than an aspect of NVIDIA GPUs. I wasn't referring to you directly. If you look at all the people saying that Kepler will be great without knowing the facts, you will know what I mean as well.

@ above: NVIDIA's multi monitor display is not as good as AMD's.
March 16, 2012 5:00:27 PM

azeem40 said:
Actually, eyefinity can add more immersion, something that is more constant than an aspect of NVIDIA GPUs. I wasn't referring to you directly. If you look at all the people saying that Kepler will be great without knowing the facts, you will know what I mean as well.

Not really:

a c 141 U Graphics card
March 17, 2012 12:50:42 AM

Veirtimid said:
Nvidia supports 3 displays as well:

of course they can. because there are 2 GF100 chip inside GTX590. what i meant was single gpu on a single card like GTX580,GTX560 and so on. with Fermi (and previous architecture) single gpu still limited to drive 2 monitor at the same time. that's why if you have single GTX580 you will need another GTX580 (in SLI) so you can play in nvidia Surround. but with the new kepler you should be able to drive up to 4 monitors at the same time using a single gpu:

Quote:
Then there's the new 3D Vision Surround, bolstered by a redesigned display logic, which addresses the two-display limitation of NVIDIA GPUs. You can now connect as many as four monitors to a GeForce Kepler GPU, enabling 3-monitor HD 3D Vision Surround setups. You no longer need more than one GeForce GPU to connect more than two monitors. The new 3D Vision Surround is said to work in conjunction with Adaptive V-Sync to ensure the center display has higher frame-rate (since it's at the focus of your central vision), at the expense of the frame-rates of the two side displays (since they're mostly at your peripheral vision). This ensures there's a balanced, high-performance experience with multi-monitor gaming setups.

source: http://www.techpowerup.com/162504/NVIDIA-s-New-AA-Algo-...

azeem40 said:
@ above: NVIDIA's multi monitor display is not as good as AMD's.

care to explain what it is? do you have personal experience on both system (surround and eyefinity)?
a c 179 U Graphics card
March 17, 2012 1:25:25 AM

Nvidia is really trying to out do AMD this time and from what I have read it is going to be something to see and I can't wait. We can sit here all day trying to prove who is right and who is wrong.

The bottom line is we don't know hardly anything about the Kepler and in less than a few weeks we will get our answers. What if everything that has leaked is true about the Kelper.

what are the AMD fan boys going to say then? But that could go the other way to. I guess we will have to wait and see. One thing is for sure. Somebody is going to eat a lot of crow.
March 17, 2012 2:46:00 AM

It means it gets you more involved in what is going on. You can see a lot more and that is the truth. Care to explain what makes it less immerse? I am asking for your opinion, not what an article says about it.

@ DM, I honestly don't care for kepler since I won't buy it either way, but you're right. We can just wait. My point for the topic was to know what everyone thinks, and now I know. The topic served its purpose.
!