40 browser windows slows computer.

Eric2012

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
I usually keep 20 to 50 web pages (tabs) open, using 2 or 3 instances on iexplore. task manager shows pc is using about 400mb for each instance. total memory use is about 60% of the 6gb installed. It seems to be slowing pc performance.

Computer is Intel I7-2600 cpu 6gb ram, AMD Radeon HD 6570 (1gb).

What vid card is good for this kind of need?

Solution
Browsers have limited cache sizes, so they max out that and switch to using hard drive for memory, which is damn slow.
Mozilla uses 5MB ram cache, and 512 MB HDD cache(dont mistake this with memory usage, different things) by default.
It is possible the only thing that slows down is the browser itself, not the whole computer.

Eric2012

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

Eric2012

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

Ya, firefox and chrome at top of list, but tests show recent browsers to be pretty equal in speeds.

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
how about a hd 7750 it's low in price, but i do suggest an increase in ram

when I'm doing my work on my pc + lots of stuff open, firefox or google chrome, and lots of editing and cad with over 200 layers and other stuff then rendering left and right, you will see huge usage lol but anyways in your case, i doubt it's the CPU but if upgrading the ram doesn't fix this i suggest doing a pc clean up like defragment or using ccleaner or maybe you got a virus in your pc, is your anti virus updated? if it is then disregard that part of my post, if not then you need to update it and if it is do a full scan, if nothings shows up then it's a mystery my sisters pc opening lots of tabs around 35-40 doesn't slow down as much with 8gb ram, using i7 2600k @ stock clock whenever she's doing lots of research so there might be some problems with your system or maybe your anti virus is slowing down your pc which happened to my older pc on certain anti virus titles and if not try using google chrome or fire fox

Eric2012

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

Company owners like what they like... my job is to make sure it performs. but given that recent tests show browsers to be pretty similar in speed, with Firefox and Chrome at top of list, havnt been giving the browser issue a lot of weight. but thanks for the input

braincruser

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Browsers have limited cache sizes, so they max out that and switch to using hard drive for memory, which is damn slow.
Mozilla uses 5MB ram cache, and 512 MB HDD cache(dont mistake this with memory usage, different things) by default.
It is possible the only thing that slows down is the browser itself, not the whole computer.

Solution