Solved

What program can I use to remove bloatware?

I am having a computer built for me by Dell that remains in the production phase. What software do you recommend for removing the Dell pre-installed bloatware and trialware? Something low cost or free would be my first choice.

Thanks in advance folks.

Dave
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what program remove bloatware
  1. Best answer
    correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt dell offer an option to opt out of the bloatware for $30 or something when you build the pc? you can uninstall the apps one a time (its time consuming) or you can just do a fresh install of the OS when you get the computer.
  2. I'd just get a Windows 7 Home Premium OEM disc - wipe the drive when you get the system, and install only the drivers you need. I've done that for every laptop I've ever bought.
  3. you don't need any software at all...just go into your control panel, then programs and uninstall anything you want
  4. Windows is the software you need to unisntall unwanted programs

Adding and remove programs is something it does quite well . Identify the program you dont want . Uninstall it .

Then use msconfig
    http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=msconfig+win+7&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb
    to turn off all services and programs you dont want to automatically start with windows .
    These programs will still be there when you WANT them , but they wont hog RAM in the meantime
  5. Thanks, everyone, for your responses.
  6. nhasian said:
    correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt dell offer an option to opt out of the bloatware for $30 or something when you build the pc? you can uninstall the apps one a time (its time consuming) or you can just do a fresh install of the OS when you get the computer.

I believe you are correct, actually. Of course, I didn't know about this prior to placing the order.
  7. You can always wipe the drive and install a fresh copy of Windows using their branded Windows disc - the attached bloatware should be minimal (if any). I just reinstalled XP on an older Dell and didn't see any... back then it shipped with 4 discs... one for Windows, and three drivers / utilities/ application CDs which is where all the bloatware was on. Maybe that has changed and they're sneakier these days.
  8. pdxalex said:
    You can always wipe the drive and install a fresh copy of Windows using their branded Windows disc - the attached bloatware should be minimal (if any). I just reinstalled XP on an older Dell and didn't see any... back then it shipped with 4 discs... one for Windows, and three drivers / utilities/ application CDs which is where all the bloatware was on. Maybe that has changed and they're sneakier these days.

Would you believe Dell did not even provide me with a Windows 7 disc? I just don't get that.
  9. Best answer selected by daverader1.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Computer Dell Software Systems