Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

What program can I use to remove bloatware?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Computer
  • Dell
  • Software
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 14, 2012 8:53:14 PM

I am having a computer built for me by Dell that remains in the production phase. What software do you recommend for removing the Dell pre-installed bloatware and trialware? Something low cost or free would be my first choice.

Thanks in advance folks.

Dave

More about : program remove bloatware

Best solution

May 15, 2012 12:44:48 AM

correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt dell offer an option to opt out of the bloatware for $30 or something when you build the pc? you can uninstall the apps one a time (its time consuming) or you can just do a fresh install of the OS when you get the computer.
May 15, 2012 1:11:51 AM

I'd just get a Windows 7 Home Premium OEM disc - wipe the drive when you get the system, and install only the drivers you need. I've done that for every laptop I've ever bought.
m
l
Related resources
May 15, 2012 1:25:18 AM

you don't need any software at all...just go into your control panel, then programs and uninstall anything you want
m
l
May 15, 2012 2:25:24 AM

Windows is the software you need to unisntall unwanted programs

Adding and remove programs is something it does quite well . Identify the program you dont want . Uninstall it .

Then use msconfig
 fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=msconfig+win+7&ie=utf-...
to turn off all services and programs you dont want to automatically start with windows .
These programs will still be there when you WANT them , but they wont hog RAM in the meantime
m
l
May 15, 2012 4:35:10 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your responses.
m
l
May 15, 2012 4:45:43 AM

nhasian said:
correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt dell offer an option to opt out of the bloatware for $30 or something when you build the pc? you can uninstall the apps one a time (its time consuming) or you can just do a fresh install of the OS when you get the computer.

I believe you are correct, actually. Of course, I didn't know about this prior to placing the order.
m
l
May 15, 2012 5:22:41 AM

You can always wipe the drive and install a fresh copy of Windows using their branded Windows disc - the attached bloatware should be minimal (if any). I just reinstalled XP on an older Dell and didn't see any... back then it shipped with 4 discs... one for Windows, and three drivers / utilities/ application CDs which is where all the bloatware was on. Maybe that has changed and they're sneakier these days.
m
l
May 22, 2012 3:39:27 AM

pdxalex said:
You can always wipe the drive and install a fresh copy of Windows using their branded Windows disc - the attached bloatware should be minimal (if any). I just reinstalled XP on an older Dell and didn't see any... back then it shipped with 4 discs... one for Windows, and three drivers / utilities/ application CDs which is where all the bloatware was on. Maybe that has changed and they're sneakier these days.

Would you believe Dell did not even provide me with a Windows 7 disc? I just don't get that.
m
l
May 29, 2012 5:53:03 AM

Best answer selected by daverader1.
m
l