My first build, need advice/input

boixwunder

Honorable
May 14, 2012
I have decided to undertake the task of building my own rig. I have done some research and after determining that the best way to get what i want out of a PC is to build it myself. I will mainly be gaming on this computer since i have a laptop for music and other random stuff. I mainly want advice and feedback on the products i have selected. Compatibility is my number one concern, i have cross referenced the specs on the parts i have chosen, but seeing that this is my first build i am not too sure with my lack of knowledge. Any advice, pointers, concerns, and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Also, what about chip manufacturer brand names?

I am trying to keep this build under $1000 while still future proofing it somewhat. I will be building this by the end of 2012. I am just doing my homework right now. I will be playing all kinds of games on this rig. Im currently looking at Diablo 3, Tera Online, and BF3, to name a few. Running these on MAX settings would be ideal, as long as it looks good and has a high frame rate.

I want to use an Intel MOBO and CPU, no real reason other than the fact that i have always had Intel chips in all my computers.

I would like to overclock in the future.

I am not really worried about SLI or CrossFire as of right now, but the future is always bright.

I am a student so i will get my OS for dirt cheap, yay!

I am open to suggestions for some good gaming mouse and keyboard for under $80. I am not really putting these items into my budget as i can start off with a keyboard and mouse combo that is cheap just to get the system up and running.

I am open to suggestions for monitors and i am somewhat ignorant to display numbers (the higher display ratio the better or does frame rate suffer?), but something good for gaming would be nice. I also want to plug into my 42" Panasonic Plasma TV to enhance the gaming experience.

I have found my parts on newegg.com and i like this website also, a lot of people seem to trust and use it.

I also considered getting an SSD to boot my OS, but right now that is a little out of my price range. I will, in the near future after this build is complete, add an SSD. What do you guys think about using an SSD to boot the OS? Is it worth it?

Down to the nitty grittys...
here is my list of parts that i have selected based on perusing the toms hardware forums and my own research.

Case:Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, come with Five Fans, window side panel, top HDD dock

MOBO:MSI Z77A-GD55 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

CPU:Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

PSU:COOLER MASTER GX Series RS650-ACAAE3-US 650W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

GPU:EVGA 01G-P3-1466-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) DS SSC 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

RAM:Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX

HDD:Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500AAKX 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - I opted for a 250GB HDD simply because im interested in adding an SSD and also, i will not be storing any videos or music on this PC so HUGE amounts of space are not a necessitiy to start off, but i may upgrade or add another HDD in the future.

DVD:LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer - Bulk - 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS224-06 LightScribe Support - OEM

All feedback is much appreciated. Remember though, i am very NEW to the undertaking of building a computer, so treat me like a noob. haha.

Thanks!

boixwunder

Honorable
May 14, 2012
I am more worried about compatability and functionality than how much certain parts may cost down the line. I could buy it all tomorrow, but thats not exactly financially responsible at this juncture.

Razec69

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Save up and save up some more. By the end of 2012 a lot more new things will come out and everything you just posted will have dropped by at least 20-30% in price.

My personal opinion is to save up as much as you can and then save more.

You want to future proof your PC than save up as much as you can. By big today save tomorrow.

I can bet you my build still being almost 3 years old performs a lot better than most people with current 2500/2600k builds.

And in reality I will not have to upgrade for another year or two but obviously making sacrifices when newer games come out.

I can still run BF3 at near max settings. I don't like the performance drops I sometimes get to me if it doesn't run at least 60FPS constantly it's no good because especially with BF3 I can see the lag at 30-50 FPS. Sometimes my game dips to about 30FPS on ultra and rides around 40-60 it isn't bad, but I can notice the difference.

So again just save your money up. Make that build worth 1500-2000k and you will be extremely happy you did do that.

And again you can come back here for more input and suggestions.

This was my own damn opinion. You or anyone else does not have to go by it.

boixwunder

Honorable
May 14, 2012
I Apparently i put too much info down. I simply want feedback and advice on the hardware choices and i want to build it sooner than later. I have been saving and 1000 is all i want to spend. I do appreciate the response though.

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
I wouldnt buy a Coolermaster power supply. Get a Corsair, Antec, XFX, Seasonic, or OCZ, but you do want about 650 watts like you have there. If you are going to be gaming on a 20 in or bigger monitor you will want a better graphics card. At least a gtx560Ti or better, otherwise you will be limited to med graphics settings for games like BF3

boixwunder

Honorable
May 14, 2012
I wouldnt buy a Coolermaster power supply. Get a Corsair, Antec, XFX, Seasonic, or OCZ, but you do want about 650 watts like you have there. If you are going to be gaming on a 20 in or bigger monitor you will want a better graphics card. At least a gtx560Ti or better, otherwise you will be limited to med graphics settings for games like BF3

This is the advice/feedback that I am looking for. Thank you GI_JONES.

I switched my PSU to this; CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

And ill shop around for a 560Ti.

Thanks again.

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Great power supply. Yes look for a 560Ti or a 560Ti 448 core, or even a 570. That powersupply will work for any of these. Not sure what you intend to spend but I've lised these in order of performance (low to high). Of course the 570 will cost the most ($300)