Sign in with
Your question

Looking for advice on 1k$ gaming build

Last response: in Systems
May 14, 2012 11:02:51 PM

Just looking for some outside insight into the build I've put together before I buy it in a week or so. Total comes out to about 1030~ if I buy from newegg and amazon (when cheaper).

Main purpose will be gaming, but I will also be doing quite a bit of audio editing/recording with it.

Games I will be playing include BF3, Sc2, Diablo 2&3, minecraft, Fallout 3&New Vegas, TES 3, 4 and 5, Dawn of war series, Total War Series, and others.

CPU AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $119.99
I would go with an fx processor and perhaps I will but this one and the 4100 are about the same in price if not performance.

CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler $29.99
Possibility for exclusion, probably won't need it - If I absolutely do need a cooler my friend has a water cooler that I can have.

Motherboard Asus M5A97 EVO ATX AM3+ Motherboard $114.99
Might drop down to the m5a97 instead of the EVO as far as I can tell the evo has more usb3.0 ports than the other.

Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $46.99
My friend used this set for his rig and has had no problems, Might go with corsair at same price point.

Hard Drive Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $79.99
Crucial M4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $79.99
Might omit the boot drive in favor of another TB of total space, boot time under a minute is all I need.

Video Card Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card $249.99
Stacks up favorably to the 6950's and at the same price point, can only get better as drivers mature.

Case Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX Mid Tower Case $79.99
Friend of mine got the HAF X full tower and regretted it because of how immense it was. From all reviews I've read this is one of the best on the market.

Power Supply Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $118.49
Was initially going to go with the ocz modstream series 700w, but was skeptical of the mixed reviews it got. Read quite a few favorable reviews for corsair and this one in particular

Optical Drive LG GH24NS70 OEM DVD/CD Writer $17.99
As long as it writes and reads dvds/cds it's all I need.

Keyboard Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard $44.52
Might omit this, but gut feeling says that the dell keyboard I have currently is not going to be great for gaming.

Mouse Razer Naga Wired Laser Mouse $69.99

Considered a must have for SW:ToR amongst my friends and their guild mates, have watched my friend play with and without it and his performance suffers greatly without.

All in all it seems like a decent build but I do want some outside perspective on it before I commit to it.

More about : advice gaming build

May 14, 2012 11:33:59 PM

adgjlsfhk said:
At this price point there is no reason at all to get an AMD processor. For gaming, you should get an I5, although even an I3 would be a step up. Look at this review.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...
I would get an I5-2310 $179
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

H61 mobo $89
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You could also save by getting a HAF 912

I have flip flopped between amd and intel quite a bit, but coming from a console gaming background I am fine with below average vs above average performance for less money.

I still might switch over, but Adding another 70-80 bucks onto the build is not something I would really want to do. I'm sure I could do it by dropping the cooler and getting a cheaper psu though. I'm just not sure if I want to drop quality in other parts of my build to increase the cpu.

I have looked at the haf 912 as well, and I'm still debating over it or the storm scout. As far as I can tell, the scout comes with more fans and looks a little more sleek. Other than that they both do their jobs perfectly.
m
l
May 14, 2012 11:41:38 PM

I did add $70 to the processor, but I took $25 off the motherboard and $20 off the case. Overall, it will do much better for about $20 more.
m
l
!