Do/Will I need extra fans?

ninjarubberduck

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
I just bought parts for a system I'm going to build. It has an i5-3570K and the case is a Corsair 400r. I wasn't able to get a graphics card yet because the GTX 670 is out of stock, but with the iGPU on the CPU, I'll do okay for now. I was wondering if the three fans on my case are sufficient for airflow, or should I add some fans.

Thanks!

Oh, and on a side note, I was wondering if I should go with the Gigabyte GTX 670 since it is clocked higher than the EVGA model, and it has 3 fans on it for what I would assume would be better cooling.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
the 400r has enough fans to start. It depends what you want though, its a good case for silence so grabbing some cheap low RPM fans will help airflow and make it silent.

Personally, I would avoid the gigabyte tri-fan models. In my experience, the dump lots of heat into the case, without offering a significant improvement over stock fans.

Razec69

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Remember you can switch the orientation of the fans.

I honestly don't see how an intake fan helps. In my experiences yes at the focal point of the fan the air is cool but as soon as it hits the core components the air gets hot and just swishes it around the case.

In my own opinion take that back fan and have it blow all the hot air out especially depending on what heatsink and fan you are going to use.

Just wait and see until you get all your stuff and monitor the temps. Give us a full configuration of your stuff and show us the end product.

More people will help you out.

xXmjzXx

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012

do you see what you said you don't see how a intake fan helps? are you crazy...