Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

3570k or 2500k?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Gaming
  • Graphics Cards
Last response: in CPUs
September 1, 2012 2:29:01 PM

I am going to be building a pc for gaming soon but unsure of which cpu to choose. ive narrowed it down to the 3570k amd the 2500k but they look too similar. i will be using a pcie 3 graphics card, will be doing moderate overclocking (4-4.5ghz), I will use the hyper 212 evo to cool it. I know already the 2500k is cheaper so I will spend the £10-£20 on a better graphics card so based on this which one is better for gaming?

More about : 3570k 2500k

September 1, 2012 2:37:11 PM

3570k . 2500k a couple of years old now.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 2:39:29 PM

Couple? It's only one year old. -_-
Both are very similar in performance. Get the 2500K and invest the money in the GPU.
Related resources
September 1, 2012 3:06:39 PM

obsama1 said:
Couple? It's only one year old. -_-
Both are very similar in performance. Get the 2500K and invest the money in the GPU.

with the extra money I can buy myself a better 7950 if there isnt that much difference in performance
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 3:13:26 PM

There isn't a big difference. The 3570K is 5% faster.
a b à CPUs
a c 143 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 3:19:11 PM

3570K im most cases are 3% faster than 2500K, whether 3% or 5% or even 10% doesn't affect the real world performance, in other words...there's no gain acquiring the 3570K.

The reason you should get the 2500k is for overclocking, all the Ivy Bridge CPUs get extremely hot when it surpass 4.0 GHzand performance gets throttled, and thus it needs a massive cooling system. The 2500K can go past 4.5 GHz with a $20 cooler.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 3:22:55 PM

Actually, they only get hot once you start changing the voltages. Otherwise, they aren't hot.
a b à CPUs
a c 143 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 7:15:08 PM

Since when haven't Overclocking required a change in voltage?
a c 291 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 7:16:08 PM

ilysaml said:
Since when haven't Overclocking required a change in voltage?


I can OC my 2500K up to 4.1 on stock voltage (and I can undervolt below that)...
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 7:17:31 PM

how about you get the i7-2600K and look farther into the future... just a thought
a c 155 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a c 114 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 7:20:31 PM

dingo07 said:
how about you get the i7-2600K and look farther into the future... just a thought

Waste of money for gaming.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a c 79 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 7:22:53 PM

dingo07 said:
how about you get the i7-2600K and look farther into the future... just a thought


Considering he said he can buy a better GPU by getting the i5-2500k, I wouldnt think it to be a good idea to blow £80 on top on an i7 instead.

Plus, hes building a gaming system - the 2600k offers no advantage.
a b à CPUs
a c 143 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 7:22:58 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
I can OC my 2500K up to 4.1 on stock voltage (and I can undervolt below that)...

Review my post above;
Quote:
all the Ivy Bridge CPUs get extremely hot when it surpass 4.0 GHz

That's the case requiring over-voltage
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 7:26:01 PM

Sakkura said:
Waste of money for gaming.

I'm 99% certain a build with an i7-2600K will beat a slower i5-2500K with the right motherboard - prove i'm wrong - you too Gallarian
a c 155 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a c 114 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 7:28:37 PM

dingo07 said:
I'm 99% certain a build with an i7-2600K will beat a slower i5-2500K with the right motherboard - prove i'm wrong - you too Gallarian

The gap will only ever be tiny though. Here's an example:

a c 291 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 7:29:30 PM

ilysaml said:
Review my post above;
Quote:
all the Ivy Bridge CPUs get extremely hot when it surpass 4.0 GHz

That's the case requiring over-voltage


Yeah, I missed that, but still, your blanket statement that OC'ing required extra voltage (the way it was written implied "always"), just caught me off guard.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a c 79 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 7:31:16 PM

dingo07 said:
I'm 99% certain a build with an i7-2600K will beat a slower i5-2500K with the right motherboard - prove i'm wrong - you too Gallarian


Unfortunately, as it is your statement, it is for you to provide evidence to support it, dont expect me to waste my time searching for links to show you something thats common knowledge - there is no point getting a 2600k over a 2500k for gaming as the benefits do not equal the price difference. That money can be spent on a better GPU that will actually matter.
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 7:39:04 PM

Gallarian said:
Unfortunately, as it is your statement, it is for you to provide evidence to support it, dont expect me to waste my time searching for links to show you something thats common knowledge - there is no point getting a 2600k over a 2500k for gaming as the benefits do not equal the price difference. That money can be spent on a better GPU that will actually matter.

that's entirely Your Opinion... have you thought about someone not like yourself that cares not about price difference?

my statement is true - that an i7-2600K is faster than an i5-2500K - the symantics are just that, symantics - of whether you factor in price, and again, if you pair an i7-2600K up in a P8z77-WS that can take full advantage of it, it's ahead of the I5-2500K
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 7:42:15 PM

Sakkura said:
The gap will only ever be tiny though. Here's an example:

http://media.bestofmicro.com/5/P/274957/original/F1%202010%201680.png

I'm sure those results are not from a motherboard that can take full advantage of the i7-2600K (nor each processor for that matter), as that would be sooo time consuming for Tom's to do for each processor

btw... what motherboard was used for those specs?
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a c 79 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 7:46:01 PM

dingo07 said:
that's entirely Your Opinion... have you thought about someone not like yourself that cares not about price difference?

my statement is true - that an i7-2600K is faster than an i5-2500K - the symantics are just that, symantics - of whether you factor in price, and again, if you pair an i7-2600K up in a P8z77-WS that can take full advantage of it, it's ahead of the I5-2500K



Sorry, but have you even read anything the OP has said?

He is clearly on a budget, therefore my 'opinion' is entirely relevant and yours is not.
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 7:51:59 PM

if the comment is on topic, it's relevant

and just because you surmise the OP is on a budget, does not mean he actually is, or will not consider a better option even if the option cost more

it's human nature to make things happen if you want it to - which includes finding a way to get more cash for what you really want
a c 155 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a c 114 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 7:55:58 PM

dingo07 said:
I'm sure those results are not from a motherboard that can take full advantage of the i7-2600K (nor each processor for that matter), as that would be sooo time consuming for Tom's to do for each processor

btw... what motherboard was used for those specs?

Gigabyte P67A-UD7:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i...

a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a c 79 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 7:59:36 PM

dingo07 said:
if the comment is on topic, it's relevant

and just because you surmise the OP is on a budget, does not mean he actually is, or will not consider a better option even if the option cost more

it's human nature to make things happen if you want it to - which includes finding a way to get more cash for what you really want


Considering the topic is '2500k vs 3570k', then not really.

The OP clearly states thats he would use the money saved by going for the 2500k on a better GPU. Well, surely if he had the money he'd just by a better GPU anyway?

Also, seeing as your premise is 'performance at any cost' Im sure youll find better benchmarks with an i7-3960x, so why arent you recommending that?
a c 458 à CPUs
a c 463 4 Gaming
a c 380 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 8:04:55 PM

The 2600k is a CPU w/o a market....if you can justify the extra $80 for the 2600k, it's kind of ridiculous to say the extra $10 for the 2700k is s deal breaker ....

As for the Sandy Bridge versus Ivy Bridge..... at stock and small to moderate OC's, the IB has slight advantage......at high OC's the IB just doesn't cut it, gets way too hot.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 9:28:10 PM

Ignore all this pointless arguing about more expensive CPU's , some people keep forgetting that a 3570k at 4.2 Ghz is roughly equal to a 2500k at 4.5 Ghz so you won't need to aim as high.

You may as well get the 3570k seen as the price difference is £10 and then carry out your plan with a 212 evo to around 4-4.4 Ghz and then get a 7950 or a GTX 670 and then you'll have a sweet gaming PC. You can't go wrong with either the 2500k or the 3570k though so it's your call.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 9:30:29 PM

The 2600K is better, but $80-$100 for an extra 3FPS? No point. Any good system builder will tell you to invest more money into the GPU than CPU. He would also tell you that choosing the 2600K over the 2500K is moronic.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 9:31:27 PM

^^^
+1. If there's a small price gap, get the 3570K. If there's a big gap, get the 2500K.
September 1, 2012 9:39:30 PM

Difference in performance, stock or O/C is roughly similar. If I were you, I'd make the decision based on both cost and whether you want the features/expense of a Z77 motherboard or not.
September 2, 2012 11:49:19 AM

im going with the 2500k , the diference in performance is very minimal and the £20 can go towards the gpu for petter performance.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a c 79 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 12:17:52 PM

Fine choice sir!