to upgrade or not to upgrade??

brycer79

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Hello,

I currently have a pentium 4 2.4 with 800mhz fsband 1.5gig of ddr 400 abd my motherboard is a msi 865pe neo 2. I can't remember my exact pentium 4 chip but it's not a prescot.

I have overclocked ot 2.88 and am considering upgradign and giving this system to my wife becuase iwoiuld love ot have pci express etc...

BUT... I don't know if it owuld be worth my while. I ma looking at an amd athalon 64 3500+ as a possible solution or a new dual core pentium at 2.6

would I really see a big diffference? I am not looking ot overlcock right away or anythign and that is why I am leaning more towards the amd but I notice the acual mhz is 2.4... so would I be at that same base speed but have 64 bit processing if I choose to?

Should I jsut stay where I am?

THANKS!!!!

brycer79

pat

Expert
Hello,

I currently have a pentium 4 2.4 with 800mhz fsband 1.5gig of ddr 400 abd my motherboard is a msi 865pe neo 2. I can't remember my exact pentium 4 chip but it's not a prescot.

I have overclocked ot 2.88 and am considering upgradign and giving this system to my wife becuase iwoiuld love ot have pci express etc...

BUT... I don't know if it owuld be worth my while. I ma looking at an amd athalon 64 3500+ as a possible solution or a new dual core pentium at 2.6

would I really see a big diffference? I am not looking ot overlcock right away or anythign and that is why I am leaning more towards the amd but I notice the acual mhz is 2.4... so would I be at that same base speed but have 64 bit processing if I choose to?

Should I jsut stay where I am?

THANKS!!!!

brycer79

MHz are no more a mesure of performance. And there is lot of thread here about the same subject..

MHz are no more a mesure of performance. And there is lot of thread here about the same subject..

Yep, MHz is no longer the main driver of performance. Instead it's the architecture.

Here's a French translated article that compares various CPUs.

And here are some of the comparision charts. Note, this is CPU comparision, not a GPU comparision. That's why only low resolution is used.

000000041539.png

000000041537.png

000000041536.png

000000041541.png