Sign in with
Your question

I7 3770k OC'd temps

Last response: in CPUs
September 1, 2012 5:02:50 PM

just bought a new computer, and have heard that the I7 3770K doesn't OC to well cause of high temps especially past 4.5 GHZ (so wasn't expecting much) - just wondering what the recommended temps to keep the 3770K are at, and whether it is possible that Intel fixed the Heating issue - as i seemed to OC to 4.6 GHZ fine with a standard H100 Cooler, using the stock TIM that it comes with; in a HAF-X Case, the max temp i hit at this frequency was 78 * C and averaged at 74 * C, while running prime 95 - is this as expected ? i ran the test for a total of ~ 30 minutes , pictures taken at 7 minutes after start , 13 minutes, 29 minutes; and end of test - will see what happens at higher clocks and what i can achieve before i hit 90*c

EDIT: as a side note these temps could possibly be better as these test were conducted in a room running a A/C in
heating mode set to 30*C, room temp is probably around 28*c

EDIT: i'm starting to think something in my computer is malfunctioning or i'm doing something wrong .... OC'd to 4.8GHZ been testing with prime for 5 minutes only hit 79*c at max so far - Image at bottom

More about : 3770k temps

a b à CPUs
September 1, 2012 7:18:32 PM

Can't see your pix for some reason, but IIRC the 3770K can hit 105 C before throttling down. Big thing causing the high temps is the core voltage - once it gets over ~1.3 or so is when the temps start rising quickly.

A couple review sites got 4.8GHz but couldn't boot at 5..

Max I've had mine is 4.5 and temps still decent as Vcore not excessive.
September 2, 2012 6:43:37 AM

i see so up to about 4.8 is doable, i was just wondering whether they fixed the heat problem since in reviews at 4.7 they were hitting like 98 * C yet i only hit 79*C at max @ 4.8 GHZ (http://s19.postimage.org/je0zafeoh/4_8_GHZ_stress_1.png)

though i did find out temps dramatically vary based on method used to OC - i don't understand why but after further testing i found that if i OC in bios to 4.9GHZ it runs stable at 92 *C average; max of 97 *C,while doing prime 95 Blend test but if i make it 4.6GHZ in Bios and then use Intel Extreme Tuning utility to push it to 4.9GHZ to 5 GHZ ,it only gets a max temp of 85 *c .... same blend test - im guessing if u do it in bios is pushes the voltages up a lot more then if u do it in the Intel utility , but what i don't get is why it still runs stable ... especially since as you said they could not boot at 5GHZ - and it is definitely running at the clock speed since T monitor and CPU Z confirm that the clock speed is 4.9 GHZ during testing.

only reason why i want to know is cause i want to leave it at 4.9 GHZ using method 2 (make it 2.6GHZ in bios and OC to 4.9 in windows) and want to make sure i'm not f***ing *** up by doing something wrong , also is it possible that CPU Z and T monitor are getting incorrect clock readings ?
Related resources
a c 186 à CPUs
September 2, 2012 7:42:26 AM

OC in BIOS.
September 2, 2012 7:59:16 AM

Amuffin could you please explain further, does the Intel utility actually not change the clock speed or hurt the CPU ? - i mean when using bios 97*C Max @ 4.9 GHZ and 85 - 87 *C @4.9GHZ on Intel extreme tuning utility, i mean if it doesn't screw anything id love it to be running 10 * C cooler - especially since i tested it for 30 minutes and the computer didn't crash

Edit: - ok so after i ran it for an hour one worker stopped at the 59 min mark on blend, but not on Small FTT meaning most likely RAM OC needs a bit more tweaking but other then that seems to be stable at 4.9 ghz @ 87*C using Intel extreme tuning utility rather then BIOS , if anyone knows that the utility is harmful or why i need to use BIOS instead please let me know
a c 186 à CPUs
September 2, 2012 8:42:59 AM

The software usually sets the voltage much too high to ensure stability of the CPU.
a b à CPUs
September 2, 2012 2:03:29 PM

^ Yep, and a too-high vcore is what causes all the heat problems on the Ivy Bridge CPUs.

Considering that a 3770K at 4.5GHz is about a 2700K's performance at 4.8 - 4.9GHz, and also considering that higher voltages mean lower lifetime (electromigration, etc), I'm quite satisfied to run mine at 4.5GHz when needed..
!