939 CPU in AM2 socket

Tatt3

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Hey there.

I got a co-worker that said he read someplace that you can actually drop a socket 939 CPU into an AM2 motherboard and it will work. He's not the type of guy that just amkes shit up so I'm inclined to think he really did read it someplace but I can't find anything that supports it. I wouldn't think it would work because the mem controller in a s939 CPU is DDR1 and the memory slots on the AM2 mobo would be DDR2, and you'd have a memory incompatibility. I also don't know if you could use it if you used DDR2 memory and just ran it at a much slower clock speed than it's rated for.

Anyone have any thoughts or hear anything about this? Thanks.

Hey there.

I got a co-worker that said he read someplace that you can actually drop a socket 939 CPU into an AM2 motherboard and it will work. He's not the type of guy that just amkes **** up so I'm inclined to think he really did read it someplace but I can't find anything that supports it. I wouldn't think it would work because the mem controller in a s939 CPU is DDR1 and the memory slots on the AM2 mobo would be DDR2, and you'd have a memory incompatibility. I also don't know if you could use it if you used DDR2 memory and just ran it at a much slower clock speed than it's rated for.

Anyone have any thoughts or hear anything about this? Thanks.

You can't drop a S939 Athlon into a AM2 mobo.

But you can drop a AM2 Athlon into a S939 mobo if you have the Asrock 939SLI32-eSATA2 and an adaptor card.