MacBook Pro: Buy or Wait

PurdueStutz514

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
I would like some opinions for the community of Tom's Hardware. I am looking into a MacBook Pro (15-inch) and I would like to see what you guys think. I can absolutely survive until the next refresh, but I don't want a 15-inch MacBook Air. The optical drive is an important item (I rip a lot of DVDs into my computer and make the occasional Music CD plus software for computers software is still sold on DVDs, whether you like it or not) and I would like a discrete graphics card as I am a light gamer. While I would prefer an SSD, I am fine with an HDD and will probably update it later so that is not a problem. Here's the real question: What do you think is the future of the MacBook Air? Will it be a small hardware refresh (updates to Ivy Bridge) or is Apple going to pull a fast on me and eliminate the MacBook Pro altogether? Money and time are not obstacles to me. What do you guys think?

Solution
Wait. Wait for the new ones with Ivy Bridge and updated screen resolution/gfx. That is what I am doing.

Also, I can't remember the last time I used an optical drive. Other than ripping some music that was lost so I had to dig out the dusty box with my CDs all packed away. Pretty much all software is available via digital/download. So I plan on making due with a cheap external. And there are plenty of options for USB ethernet dongles, if one is really needed. Have had laptops for years and havent plugged a single one in to cable other than setting up a router once in a great while.

Not being an Apple fanboy and not ever buying a Mac, the rumors have my interest piqued. I think their full blown IB Macbook Pro is going to be the...
There's been some recent leaks about the macbook pro refresh:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/14/macbook-pro-and-imac-ivy-bridge/

If rumors are true, then no optical drive and no ethernet port. Of course you could always purchase plug in accessories to make up for it. Give the above rumor a read.

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Wait. Wait for the new ones with Ivy Bridge and updated screen resolution/gfx. That is what I am doing.

Also, I can't remember the last time I used an optical drive. Other than ripping some music that was lost so I had to dig out the dusty box with my CDs all packed away. Pretty much all software is available via digital/download. So I plan on making due with a cheap external. And there are plenty of options for USB ethernet dongles, if one is really needed. Have had laptops for years and havent plugged a single one in to cable other than setting up a router once in a great while.

Not being an Apple fanboy and not ever buying a Mac, the rumors have my interest piqued. I think their full blown IB Macbook Pro is going to be the BOMB! So I am forking over my bucks to their fruitiness. It seems like the perfect blend of "TAKE MY MONEY!"

Solution

PurdueStutz514

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

I'm not looking for an ultrabook, or a mac clone. I need a well built laptop to get me through high school. There are other macs that just the Airs. Plus, i want the ability to play around with iPhone app making. Mac OS will be something new to play with, as I am a longtime PC owner. Plus, I have a copy of Windows 7 ultimate laying around, so I will be installing that. :p