Nikon Coolpix 8700 Never Again

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 6, 2005 10:42:32 AM

I purchased my Nikon 8700 in March and was disappointed from the start.
Then in July the camera became Schizophrenic. The operating software
has gone completely haywire. The camera does what it wants to do, not
what I want it to do. Pretty neat trick for a mere $700.

First, the electronic viewfinder presents a flawed image of the
subject. Second, the function buttons on the lens barrel are too easily
activated by accident. Third, the image write cycle time is
unacceptably long. Fourth, the damn silly lens cap arrangement causes
the cap to be constantly in the way. And finally fifth, the camera has
now stopped functioning. Just GREAT!

Advise from Nikon has been useless. Only choice is to send camera off
for repair or replacement. Wonderful, I'll get back the same lousy
camera. Oh well live and learn. By the way how do you spell Canon?

More about : nikon coolpix 8700

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 3:39:59 PM

<njbob560@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I purchased my Nikon 8700 in March and was disappointed from the start.
> Then in July the camera became Schizophrenic. The operating software
> has gone completely haywire. The camera does what it wants to do, not
> what I want it to do. Pretty neat trick for a mere $700.
>
> First, the electronic viewfinder presents a flawed image of the
> subject.

How is it "a flawed image"? I just bought an 8700 a couple of weeks ago, and
the EVF looks fine to me.

> Second, the function buttons on the lens barrel are too easily
> activated by accident.

Depends on how you hold the camera. I've seen this complaint about that type
of Nikon, but so far it hasn't been a problem for me.

> Third, the image write cycle time is
> unacceptably long.

Again, not a problem for me. Maybe you should use a faster CF card.

> Fourth, the damn silly lens cap arrangement causes
> the cap to be constantly in the way.

Yep. So does every other camera that uses a security cord for the lens cap.
Your obvious option is to not use that cord. Then you'll lose the lens cap
and you can complain about that, too.

> And finally fifth, the camera has
> now stopped functioning. Just GREAT!
>
> Advise from Nikon has been useless. Only choice is to send camera off
> for repair or replacement.

You expected Pop Nikon to come over personally and fix it for you in your
home? All a manufacturer can do is offer repair or replacement. Any man-made
machine, instrument or tool may fail, even if of first-class design and
workmanship. Gazillion-dollar space shuttles sometimes blow up, for heaven's
sake.

> Wonderful, I'll get back the same lousy
> camera. Oh well live and learn. By the way how do you spell Canon?

K-a-n-n-u-n. But there are complaining Canon owners too. I doubt you will
ever find a camera brand about which no one complains, except maybe that
great cult favorite, the Lomo. But then that's not digital.

N.
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 6:24:30 PM

njbob560@gmail.com wrote:
> I purchased my Nikon 8700 in March and was disappointed from the
> start. Then in July the camera became Schizophrenic. The operating
> software has gone completely haywire. The camera does what it wants
> to do, not what I want it to do. Pretty neat trick for a mere $700.
>
> First, the electronic viewfinder presents a flawed image of the
> subject. Second, the function buttons on the lens barrel are too
> easily activated by accident. Third, the image write cycle time is
> unacceptably long. Fourth, the damn silly lens cap arrangement causes
> the cap to be constantly in the way. And finally fifth, the camera has
> now stopped functioning. Just GREAT!
>
> Advise from Nikon has been useless. Only choice is to send camera off
> for repair or replacement. Wonderful, I'll get back the same lousy
> camera. Oh well live and learn. By the way how do you spell Canon?

If you have a camera which is unfit, why not ask for your money back?
(Under UK law, the vendor would have to prove the camera was not of faulty
manufacture). How do you know that Nikon will not repair the camera
without letting them try?

Your other complaints about the camera sound to be something you could
have easily researched before purchase, or have tried out in the shop.

David
Related resources
July 6, 2005 6:39:07 PM

It is irrationally aggravating to have a technological marvel that does not
work but the only rational choices are to retrurn it or get it repaired. If
its limits are understood, and if the frigging thing works like it should,
the 8700 is actually a very capable machine.I have had good luck with Nikon
repair services but others may have not had the same experience.
The only technological marvels that do not work that users have to accept as
is come from Microsoft and Apple.
July 7, 2005 2:51:23 AM

Nikon 8700 is a great camera, a piece of art I would say.
I've had it for about 6 months and loved it.
Yes, has good and bad sides - isn't it the case with any camera?
It has all the best qualities of the top-of-the-line point-and-shoot,
but being point-and-shoot it is a bit slow.
May be you do not know what exactly is that you need from your camera?

<njbob560@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I purchased my Nikon 8700 in March and was disappointed from the start.
> Then in July the camera became Schizophrenic. The operating software
> has gone completely haywire. The camera does what it wants to do, not
> what I want it to do. Pretty neat trick for a mere $700.
>
> First, the electronic viewfinder presents a flawed image of the
> subject. Second, the function buttons on the lens barrel are too easily
> activated by accident. Third, the image write cycle time is
> unacceptably long. Fourth, the damn silly lens cap arrangement causes
> the cap to be constantly in the way. And finally fifth, the camera has
> now stopped functioning. Just GREAT!
>
> Advise from Nikon has been useless. Only choice is to send camera off
> for repair or replacement. Wonderful, I'll get back the same lousy
> camera. Oh well live and learn. By the way how do you spell Canon?

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 4:27:15 AM

On 6 Jul 2005 06:42:32 -0700, njbob560@gmail.com wrote:

*I purchased my Nikon 8700

good choice

* in March and was disappointed from the start.

you mean, you were unhappy in a shop?

*Then in July the camera became Schizophrenic. The operating software
*has gone completely haywire. The camera does what it wants to do, not
*what I want it to do. Pretty neat trick for a mere $700.

what exactly the camera does? Have you read the manual?
*
*First, the electronic viewfinder presents a flawed image of the
*subject.

flawed? how? 180 thousands pixels to represent 8 milion recorded. It
sometimes may show colors different to the recorded ones.

*Second, the function buttons on the lens barrel are too easily
*activated by accident.

blame your fingers.

*Third, the image write cycle time is
*unacceptably long.

it is OK writing jpegs, it takes 15 seconds to write raw files. true,
long, but it is 12 megabytes!

*Fourth, the damn silly lens cap arrangement causes
*the cap to be constantly in the way.

actually, the problem is lack of a thread , cap is OK, it always drops
below the lens!!!

*And finally fifth, the camera has
*now stopped functioning. Just GREAT!

I understand it is legitimate transaction and you are covered by
warranty?
*
*Advise from Nikon has been useless. Only choice is to send camera off
*for repair or replacement.

well, it's how it works for every manufacturer.

*Wonderful, I'll get back the same lousy
*camera.

No, you should get a repaired or replacement camera.

*Oh well live and learn. By the way how do you spell Canon?

what makes you to believe that Canon cameras are faultless?????
November 29, 2009 4:22:28 PM

I have my Nikon Coolpix 8700 since they came out. I have taken thousands of pictures and have found that the only bad pictures that I had taken were from bad judgement on my part. Perhaps I got lucky and got a good one!!! I doubt that!
!