Cleaning hs with sauce

monu_08

Distinguished
May 26, 2011

may be i tried i t on copper coins after a few minute when i clean it off i got shiny and clean one
it have vinegar that clean it off will it work

I don't want to even think of the odor.... :lol: a small hint of that heating/cooking up inside my case and I might have to throw my entire rig out the window! :lol:

monu_08

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
nope friend i hust clean it and it works i spread all over to my heatsink surface + spread sauce on my heatsink pipe also after a few minute i rinse it into run tap then i
a dunk into it in soap water after that i saw a new shiny heatsink wow it just work man

monu_08

Distinguished
May 26, 2011

nope if u done it nicely u could never face any issue i use to clean it with and its much cheaper then alchol i think i just only try on my fx 8150 heatsinmk and now my temp never blown away from 61 its true sauce work good

monu_08

Distinguished
May 26, 2011

i disagree if you want your HS truly clean you need to remove the cupric and cuprous oxides which form on copper's surface after time. These oxides are acid soluble and vinegar or lemon juice are easily obtainable weak acids which work very well for light oxide removal. The salt acts as a sort of accelerant to the reaction and is not necessary, but does help move things along a little quicker.

If you use an acid base cleaner it would need to be neutralized or it will get into the microscopic pores and continue the caustic action, which could cause pitting.

That's why everyone uses alcohol based cleaners as they don't eat away anything using a caustic reaction to do it.

I never really considered eating my Taco and cleaning my heat sink at the same time, but as long as you wash it with clean water afterwards as you said, you should be OK.

monu_08

Distinguished
May 26, 2011

yes u are right but i must have to clean because copper some times get corrosion and my heat pipes does also have
so i use the sauce method it react with it and after cleaning with soap water i got new one hs

a review for copper heatsink, Edit: Removed Site Link

Regarding that link that was totally unnecessary CRCs QD Electronic Component Cleaner available at any auto parts store will clean even aluminum to a nice shiny new look in literally seconds with no reactions and perfectly safe for plastics.

A much safer cleaning solution compared to boiling on the stove in vinegar and salts!

IMO boiling a heat sink like that is stupid, you're subjecting the heat pipes to temperatures it was never designed to endure.

There's no place for the expanding liquid in the heat pipes to go because all of the pipe is hot, so pressure will equally build inside the pipes.

The heat pipes themselves could expand, or warp, or leak, or worst case burst in the boiling liquid, hurting anyone standing in the vicinity!

Your sauce idea won't hurt anyone, the boiling link could cause someone to actually get hurt so I suggest a Moderator get involved in this thread, for the safety of other users at THGF.

Uther39

Distinguished
the best thing for cleaning any copper is too leave it submersed in coke for about 6 hours, then take out and rinse with warm water and dry, trust me it will shine shine shine this is very safe and also works with stainless steel and aluminium.

I've used lemon juice and salt myself to clean my water blocks inside, it works very well.

Haven't tried the Coke myself but I've heard of it before.

Lemon juice and table salt will do it in minutes as far as copper is concerned.

When I was in the USN they used concentrated fruit punch mix (Packets of premixed powder just add water and you have fruit punch, similar to Hawaiian Punch), to clean stainless steel to a mirror finish in minutes not hours, after I saw what that punch mix did to stainless steel, I stopped drinking it.

I don't drink Coke for the very same reason. ;)