Selecting a graphic card for my older system

I'm looking for advice on getting an optimal graphics card for my older system. I apologize if this is the wrongly formatted for this inquiry. My main concern is that my older motherboard is 1.0 PCI-E. I realized it will be fully compatible with almost all graphics cards out there, but my question is will my motherboard fully utilize a 2.0 card power, should I get a 1.0 (1.1?) card, or stick with my 9600gt due to insignificant performance gain? I was looking at the Radeon HD 6770, but was looking for advice on what is the optimal card for my build?

Specs
Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA770-S3
2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core
4096 Megabytes
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
2 answers Last reply
More about selecting graphic card older system
  1. 6770 will be highly bottlenecked for the PCI 1.0, i would recommend you first upgrading your motherboard and later the video card. or you will be wasting money.
  2. Ricardois is incorrect, the HD6770 is nowhere near fast enough to be effected by the PCI-E 1.0 interface on your motherboard.
    You'll certainly see a good boost from the graphics upgrade although if you have a full HD monitor, you might be better off with a stronger card.
    Do n't forget, a stronger graphics card will draw more power, so check your PSU is up to the job before making a decision.
    Some further helpful advice ;) :
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Motherboards Graphics