To upgrade or not to upgrade

mmilner1

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I7 - 950 775 socket would you upgrade? Been saving for over a year now but somewhat disappointed with the upgraded processors especially the IVY bridge and have $1200 mad cash. Now suddenly new chipset aren't really that attractive, been even leaning towards maybe building a MAME cabinet but even that not sure of the longevity guess i just love to build but back to the CPU its hard for me to want to upgrade when nothing seems to push my current setup. but curious to some of you great posters, if you had this system would you upgrade it or spend the $1200 on something else? Love League of Legends and excited about Diablo 3 tomorrow but neither would seem to push my current system

17-950K / Overclocked with Zalman cooler
6 GB Muskin Ram
6950 AMD card
120GB OCZ vertex SSD
ect, ect.

firo40

Splendid
Yeah i would if I were you, I would get the 3930k,and any good lga 2011 mobo. The preformance differance will amaze you. It also has Pcie3.0, Quad channel memory,X79 chipset with increased raid preformance. And for cooling id also recommend the Corsair H70 with any good 2400-3000RPM fan.

pezonator

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Did you actually read what the OP said? He is playing games that is not pushing his system.

What kind of overclock are you running? I can't see a reason to upgrade, both of those games can run smoothly totally maxed on your system. Save your money for next year.

cumi2k4

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Nope, i'd save that cash for sometime in the future (maybe ivy bridge rev.B?) until your system can't keep up with the software....
Then again, with your configuration, i'd be guessing that you'll be waiting for another year or two. How bout using it for other projects? like media server or something?

mmilner1

Honorable
May 10, 2012

Yea that's kind of what I was thinking, Diablo 3 coming out tomorrow and the specs wont even push what i have. I love to upgrade but just can't see the point. Been reading about the new LED's and higher resolution monitors coming soon, that topped with Windows 8 focusing on touchsceen and even the success of the XBOX Kinnect, plus the 22 nm die from intel and I'm wondering if the computer world is on the verge of major changes. Even beyond that Diablo 3 won't push an 17 -950 with an AMD 6950 so I am having a real hard time even with free money to convince myself to upgrade.