Camedia Software Lost Photos

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 6, 2005 11:28:13 AM

Had Camedia software installed on a Windows 98SE PC.
Upgraded PC to Windows XP Pro and all the photos and albums have
dis-appeared? It was just an upgrade and not a wipe and start again.
Done a search on 'C' Hard drive for all photos and all *.jpg files but
they are not there???
Any ideas

Thanks
Dave L
July 6, 2005 11:50:58 AM

Have you tried the Recycle Bin?
July 6, 2005 1:53:22 PM

Yes. Nothing in the recycle bin. Allegedly they have not been deleted!
Related resources
July 6, 2005 4:40:37 PM

I am 101% sure it was an upgrade. I do find some jpg files but not the
ones I am looking for, only samples etc.

I think it is likely that the XP upgrade un-installed the in-compatible
programme and the directory with the photos in were also
deleted/un-installed.

Can I get them back in this case?

Dave L
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 8:10:34 PM

On 6 Jul 2005 07:28:13 -0700, lowles@btopenworld.com wrote:

>Had Camedia software installed on a Windows 98SE PC.
>Upgraded PC to Windows XP Pro and all the photos and albums have
>dis-appeared? It was just an upgrade and not a wipe and start again.
>Done a search on 'C' Hard drive for all photos and all *.jpg files but
>they are not there???
>Any ideas
>
>Thanks
>Dave L

An upgrade to XP shouldn't remove your photos and albums.
If the Camedia weren't compatible with XP, the upgrade would leave it
intact, and the Camedia just wouldn't work.

Where your jpegs went is anyone's guess. If they were valuable, they
certainly should have been backed up.
You *did* do a backup before you upgraded, right? You were told to.
I know it does no good to berate you now, but upgrades do sometimes go
wrong; that's why you were told to do a backup first.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

<lowles@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> Had Camedia software installed on a Windows 98SE PC.
> Upgraded PC to Windows XP Pro and all the photos and albums have
> dis-appeared? It was just an upgrade and not a wipe and start again.
> Done a search on 'C' Hard drive for all photos and all *.jpg files but
> they are not there???
> Any ideas
>
> Thanks
> Dave L

use the backup you took before you did the upgrade?

Just guessing but the following may have happened;
The windows upgrade unistalls existing applications because they wont be
compatible with XP and will need to be reinstalled to get the XP version.
Your files were all stored right in the default camedia folder under
'program files',and were wiped when the app was uninstalled. Or maybe the
C:/windows/program files folder is completely removed during an upgrade
since it would be dangerous to try and run 98 apps under XP? Or did you
install camedia again for XP and did it erase the files? Like I say, just a
guess.

However, if there are literally *no* jpg files on your system that is very
strange. You'd expect one or two. Are you sure they werent called something
else? Does camedia give them a different extension other than .jpg?

Or, are you *absolutely 101%* sure it was an upgrade? Maybe after the
process has kicked off there isnt much difference so you wouldnt notice? Its
easy enough to hit 'enter' a few times without really seeing what is
there.We've all done it.(ok, I have)

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 11:44:23 PM

On 6 Jul 2005 12:40:37 -0700, "DaveL" <lowles@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>I am 101% sure it was an upgrade. I do find some jpg files but not the
>ones I am looking for, only samples etc.
>
>I think it is likely that the XP upgrade un-installed the in-compatible
>programme and the directory with the photos in were also
>deleted/un-installed.
>
>Can I get them back in this case?

Stop arsing about and restore from a backup.

....you *do* make backups don't you?

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

>>However, if there are literally *no* jpg files on your system that is very
>>strange. You'd expect one or two. Are you sure they werent called
something
>>else? Does camedia give them a different extension other than .jpg?
No.

I agree. You would expect some jpg files on any system, even one not used
by a photographer.

Keith
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 1:12:15 PM

>>I think it is likely that the XP upgrade un-installed the in-compatible
>>programme and the directory with the photos in were also
>>deleted/un-installed.
>>
>>Can I get them back in this case?

It depends how much you have done since. When you delete a file on your
computer, you don't actually destroy the data. On your disc there's a sort
of catalogue of what files are where. It's called the directory and the
directory entry is the only thing that gets zapped on an ordinary delete.

If you delete a file by mistake but then immediately reinstate the directory
entry you get your data back. If you delay, though, there's a problem.
When you delete a file, the bits of disk where it was recorded are returned
to the pool of available space. If you then start putting new files onto
your computer there is a chance you will overwrite those same bits of disk.
The more files you add or alter after the delete, the higher the probability
that you will overwrite some or all of the deleted file.

If we are optimistic and assume the data is still there somewhere, there are
applications available to locate it and recover the directory entry. I
don't know the details and I have never used one but it might be worth doing
an internet search for "undelete" or "recover deleted files". Until you
experiment with such a utility you would be well advised to avoid putting
more data onto your computer.

Regards
Keith
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 8:56:07 PM

Dave,
If it was an upgrade you should have all the other software files you
had before. If they're gone as well then it was a new installation where
your HD got formatted. Have you tried going into windows explorer,
tools, folder options, view and checked "show hidden files and folders"
also uncheck "hide extensions for know file types"?
Paul

DaveL wrote:
> I am 101% sure it was an upgrade. I do find some jpg files but not the
> ones I am looking for, only samples etc.
>
> I think it is likely that the XP upgrade un-installed the in-compatible
> programme and the directory with the photos in were also
> deleted/un-installed.
>
> Can I get them back in this case?
>
> Dave L

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 10:20:06 PM

"DaveL" <lowles@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>I am 101% sure it was an upgrade. I do find some jpg files but not the
> ones I am looking for, only samples etc.
>
> I think it is likely that the XP upgrade un-installed the in-compatible
> programme and the directory with the photos in were also
> deleted/un-installed.
>
> Can I get them back in this case?
>
> Dave L

Extremely unlikely simply because the size of XP means it will have written
over a lot of the disk compared to previously. There are apps that will
look in the freespace on disk and recover any lost JPEGs. Its always
possible there are some still on the disk that didnt get overwritten.
Probably also depends how fragmented your system was prior to the upgrade.
google for 'recover deleted JPEGs' or some such. I just did that and the
first hit gives you an app you can download that will scan the disk and let
you know what it can recover before you pay for it.

Anyway, if its any consolation, if you never took any backups, you would
have lost the pictures at some point anyway. User error, disk failure,
theft, fire, whatever.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 10:20:07 PM

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 18:20:06 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
<thisaccountneverread@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"DaveL" <lowles@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>>I am 101% sure it was an upgrade. I do find some jpg files but not the
>> ones I am looking for, only samples etc.
>>
>> I think it is likely that the XP upgrade un-installed the in-compatible
>> programme and the directory with the photos in were also
>> deleted/un-installed.
>>
>> Can I get them back in this case?
>>
>> Dave L
>>
>Extremely unlikely simply because the size of XP means it will have written
>over a lot of the disk compared to previously. There are apps that will
>look in the freespace on disk and recover any lost JPEGs. Its always
>possible there are some still on the disk that didnt get overwritten.
>Probably also depends how fragmented your system was prior to the upgrade.
>google for 'recover deleted JPEGs' or some such. I just did that and the
>first hit gives you an app you can download that will scan the disk and let
>you know what it can recover before you pay for it.
>
>Anyway, if its any consolation, if you never took any backups, you would
>have lost the pictures at some point anyway. User error, disk failure,
>theft, fire, whatever.

XP is smart enough to install itself onto only *empty* disk space. It
even does a check before installation to see if there's enough empty
space to install itself onto. If there isn't, it will abort
installation with a message saying you need to free up some space, or
use another drive for the installation.
It won't overwrite data or apps on installation.

--
!