doublerocket

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Trying to figure out if there is anything I can do to resurect my sony vaio vgn-sr490. Did a booboo and spilled a glass of beer onto the keyboard. It shutdown seconds later. I ran a bit of water over the affected area to try and get the beer out from the keys...let it dry and turned back on. It worked for about 10 minutes and then started to act strange not responding properly to keystrokes ...made a little pzing sound and shutoff. If I remove the battery and reinstall it, the screen and power button light up for 2 or 3 seconds then it shuts down. Seems like an internal power module gone bad, but I don't know...any ideas to resurect my baby greatly appreciated

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
:pfff: your meant to clean any excess residue with a clean or damp cloth and don't turn on the laptop after you,ve spilt any liquid on it for least a day.

If your warranty covers accidental damage then you can get it repaired or if you voided your warranty then take a look under the covers for damage and dry up any wet objects if there are any.

As Mocchan said its most likely near or is dead.

That would appear to be bad news (turns out VAIO laptops only like pure distilled water, who'd of thunk...).
At his juncture, disassembly and complete cleaning would be the first step, while disassembled, troubleshooting the motherboard would be in order. Few shops have that ability depending upon where you're located. Most likely it will have to be shipped off for repair. I would suggest you try yourself but there are specialty tools involved and unless you already have them and know how to use them, it wouldn't be worth the effort I don't think.

doublerocket

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Thanks Mocchan and Jay...Seems like a lame move with the water and I didnt wait long enough for the drytime although I was using a hair dryer into the exhaust port for quite a while. Dead meaning MB is likely toasted ?

Yes, most likely.

On a side note, if you had spilled beer on your Vaio while it was off, then you wouldn't have a problem if it were properly dried for 24hrs+.

However, since you spilled beer while it was on, that might have killed it right then and there anyway :(

doublerocket

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Ya...being turned on at the time started the Barbecue....I couldnt react fast enough to turn it off before the damage was done. I need a hermetically sealed Keyboard next time...I like the idea of ripping into it , but troubleshooting the MB would prove difficult I am sure. I suppose it can't hurt at this point to take a look under the hood....

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
Well drinking near a laptop isn't the best idea overall.

Taking apart the laptop is a pain in the ass for starters, you will need a small philips screw driver , maybe a small thin flat head for prying and taking out all those ribbon cables.

:( better luck next time, I suppose. Or you may want to invest in one of those silicone laptop keyboard covers(?) to help prevent anything from creeping down into the keyboard.

doublerocket

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
I know....liquids and laptops will never get along...only problem is how much time we spend in front of these things and not having something to drink around close by is probably not the reality...I still think they should be able to seal the keyboards better . The cover is an Idea for sure...might be good to try and test one. Thanks for your feedback....

I have to disagree about taking apart laptops though, I think it's fun - sometimes reassembly is a pain (take pictures each step so you'll know what goes where - it'll help in reassembly) if you even want to reassemble it, hehe... could just take the HDD out and screen off, sell the screen on Ebay.
just a thought

Forget the laptop, that's the real shame here.

In all seriousness, the best cure for a laptop that's taken a bath is to immediately turn the laptop upside down, remove the battery and let it dry out. After that, clean it with rubbing alcohol or Bacardi 151

doublerocket

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
As long as I am chillin and swillin with Stella...I will keep your advice close to my heart..now to salvage my scraps!

That must have been some good beer to kill that laptop lol but joking aside if you are going to even consider saving it then you need to break it down with in a few days before any corrosion sets in. Rebuilding keyboards that don't use mechanical switches but instead use rubber dome are very sensitive once something even water gets in and remains there. There are two or more plastic sheets inside with conductive traces and they rot out very quickly especially when something like beer gets in.

proton007

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
Not sure if your laptop is still under warranty.
If not, you can try removing the back cover and keyboard. Use a hair dryer to dry out everything completely. Try again.