Sign in with
Your question

Under 500$ including OS

Last response: in Systems
May 15, 2012 2:55:11 AM

Hi everybody.
I'm trying to get my sister a computer for under $500 because she doesn't want to pay much, but she is willing to go a higher if the benifits are great enough.

I've never built a computer before, I've only upgraded video cards, installed DVD drives and PSU's and thats it.
So I want the least amount of building as possible.
I want a computer that has a 2nd gen core i3 or i5. unless the 3rd gen is coming soon.. any info on that?
anyway, 4 gigs of ram and an OS.
any ideas?
thanks!!

More about : 500 including

May 15, 2012 3:02:50 AM

what is the computer going to be used for?
May 15, 2012 3:06:29 AM

Mostly internet stuff, with some HD video and very mild gaming (I think intel HD 2/3000 would suffice)
Related resources
May 15, 2012 3:31:51 AM

well then

i3 2100
H61 mb
2 x2 gig of RAM
400 watt psu

May 15, 2012 4:02:30 AM

cuts it really short on funding!
Ofcourse, there's always a $500 laptop, but if you want desktop items, $100 already go into the operating system (if you want Windows).

That leaves $400 for remaining parts.

For that money it's best to go with combo deals, or a preconfigured pc.
If you want all in one, you'll have to do with netbook speeds like this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Bump up the CPU to normal speeds, and we're talking about the $760 area.

Desktops under 500 (screen, keyb, and mouse excluded), you'll get last generation hardware, which really isn't all that bad; it was the newest 6months to 3/4 a year ago, and it's not like you won't be able to run latest games on it (all but perhaps a handful).

This one even comes with a keyboard and mouse, $509 but the $9 over the budget are well invested in the keyboard and mouse!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you want to create your own desktop from parts,
Windows 7 costs $100.
Get a corei3 with integrated graphics, cheap SATA2 harddrive (upgradeable in the future)
Motherboard that supports USB3.0 ports, at least 4 or 8Gb of DDR3 2000 RAM memory (or faster), and a 450W powersupply.

You could also select a Linux OS (which is free), and saves you $100 for the initial setup, so you can invest in a better CPU (core i5), mobo (more feats) and PSU (500W, for later expansion with a plugin graphics card), and/or RAM speed (faster RAM only costs marginally more).
Only problem is, there's really not much you'll need a fast computer for in Linux.
!