Under 500$ including OS

Hi everybody.
I'm trying to get my sister a computer for under $500 because she doesn't want to pay much, but she is willing to go a higher if the benifits are great enough.

I've never built a computer before, I've only upgraded video cards, installed DVD drives and PSU's and thats it.
So I want the least amount of building as possible.
I want a computer that has a 2nd gen core i3 or i5. unless the 3rd gen is coming soon.. any info on that?
anyway, 4 gigs of ram and an OS.
any ideas?
thanks!!
4 answers Last reply
More about under including
  1. what is the computer going to be used for?
  2. Mostly internet stuff, with some HD video and very mild gaming (I think intel HD 2/3000 would suffice)
  3. well then

i3 2100
    H61 mb
    2 x2 gig of RAM
    400 watt psu
  4. cuts it really short on funding!
    Ofcourse, there's always a $500 laptop, but if you want desktop items, $100 already go into the operating system (if you want Windows).

That leaves $400 for remaining parts.

For that money it's best to go with combo deals, or a preconfigured pc.
    If you want all in one, you'll have to do with netbook speeds like this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113196

Bump up the CPU to normal speeds, and we're talking about the $760 area.

Desktops under 500 (screen, keyb, and mouse excluded), you'll get last generation hardware, which really isn't all that bad; it was the newest 6months to 3/4 a year ago, and it's not like you won't be able to run latest games on it (all but perhaps a handful).

This one even comes with a keyboard and mouse, $509 but the $9 over the budget are well invested in the keyboard and mouse!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220152

If you want to create your own desktop from parts,
    Windows 7 costs $100.
    Get a corei3 with integrated graphics, cheap SATA2 harddrive (upgradeable in the future)
    Motherboard that supports USB3.0 ports, at least 4 or 8Gb of DDR3 2000 RAM memory (or faster), and a 450W powersupply.

You could also select a Linux OS (which is free), and saves you $100 for the initial setup, so you can invest in a better CPU (core i5), mobo (more feats) and PSU (500W, for later expansion with a plugin graphics card), and/or RAM speed (faster RAM only costs marginally more).
    Only problem is, there's really not much you'll need a fast computer for in Linux.
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Computer Systems Product