Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE vs. FX 8150 BE? Or Intel?

Last response: in CPUs
September 1, 2012 7:57:54 PM

Alright guys, I currently have the 965 BE, and I have a good and steady OC at 3.88 Ghz.

I use a GTX 670 for gaming, and I fear that my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU. I am considering an upgrade, but I just bought my board, a Gigabyye GA-990FXA-UD3. It is set up for AM3+ socket CPU's, and I don't believe it is rated for Intel processors, so choosing an Intel would cost me a lot more money for a new MOBO.

I have about $250 or so that I am willing to spend on this upgrade. I could stick with my current CPU, which is newish and I like, and try a higher OC (with a new cooler? But I already have semi-custom water radiator and MX-2 paste, so I probably won't get much better without overheating). Maybe I could up the NB clock? Any ideas?

Another option is that I could also buy one of the new AMD chips, if anyone would suggest doing so to help with gaming. The reviews are still pretty mixed. When can we expect the new CPU from AMD?

Also, I could try a new MOBO and an Intel chip if that would be better.

I am not opposed to eBay as well. :sol: 

So , what do you guys think?

More about : amd phenom 965 8150 intel

September 1, 2012 8:21:53 PM

Do yourself a favor and don't buy an FX series CPU. If I were you I would buy a new heatsink and OC the phenom too 4.3 ghz or something. I have the same CPU as you and at stock speed it blows the FX4170 out of the water ; /
m
l
September 1, 2012 8:53:15 PM

The piledriver chips from AMD are coming out soon - these are reputed to be 15% faster than the bulldozer chips and also much cooler.
m
l
Related resources
September 1, 2012 9:44:07 PM

Do we have an exact date? I kind of want to future proof this thing, because I have a decent savings now.
m
l

Best solution

a c 283 à CPUs
a b å Intel
September 1, 2012 9:48:08 PM

Borochadwicsays said:
Do we have an exact date? I kind of want to future proof this thing, because I have a decent savings now.

Mid October-Mid November is what I've seen
September 2, 2012 1:32:10 PM

Best answer selected by Borochadwicsays.
m
l
!