Sign in with
Your question

I can't get my OS to load on my new build

Last response: in Systems
May 15, 2012 3:06:56 AM

:) 
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
CPU Brand : Sandy Bridge Intel i3 ( 3.3)
Operation System : Win 7 64-bit
Memory Brand : Corsair DDR3 Memory Size : 6GB Speed : 1600
Power Supply : 500 W

No VGA card.
OCZ 60GB SSD.
HD monitor.
Wireless keyboard
Wireless mouse

I am building a custom PC, and I am having problems loading my OS. I downloaded windows 7 onto the SSD I'm using for this build by connecting it to my other computer, so I know it works fine. So, I install the SSD in my new build and it gets to the "Windows startup screen" and about 1.0032 seconds later it quickly goes to a blue screen for a split second, and then proceeds to shutdown, and suggests I repair.

-I have set the bootorder, and the boot prority to the SSD
-I have tried to repair startup, recovery.
-I checked my memory

I am really stuck here, are there settings that I need to change in the BIOS from factory settings? The CPU and the motherboard are compatible, but do I need to do a firmware update?
Please Help:( 

More about : load build

May 15, 2012 3:11:40 AM

zmanxmans said:
I downloaded windows 7 onto the SSD

Not quite sure what you mean by that, but I take it to mean you're transferring your SSD with Win 7 already installed into your new build. You should do a clean install of Windows 7 in your new rig.
m
l
May 15, 2012 3:12:30 AM

you would seem to have something wrong in your bios or your SSD drivers. Did you load our Marvell drivers prior to installing? Your SSD is not being recognized, make 100% sure your SATA connections are good, if so then something in your bios setup is wrong. Check your AHCI settings, check your hard drive settings, compare the settings to the computer that works.
m
l
Related resources
May 15, 2012 3:16:59 AM

Hey 'pdxalex',

Yeah, I through my new SSD into my GF's computer and used her optical drive to transfer over windows 7 from disk. So, now I throw it into my new rig and it won't start up. Thanks for the reply. Any ideas what it could be?
m
l
May 15, 2012 3:22:03 AM

You used her PC to "transfer over" Windows... you can't really just migrate your SSD with a Windows installation from one hardware environment into another.

Connect your SSD drive to your new build, boot into bios and make sure SATA is set to AHCI mode. Insert your Win7 disc in your drive, save and exit bios to reboot, install a fresh copy of Windows onto your SSD.
m
l
May 15, 2012 3:25:37 AM

Good suggestions mmilner1,

I like you icon. Ok, so I need to download driver to my SSD. I never knew you had to do that before use. I guess I thought it was plug-and-play. It seems strange to me that I would have to look for/add drivers, and change BIOS settings, just to get the OS to boot. That seems a little much. Anyways thank you for the suggestions. Can I add these drivers to my loaded SSD or do I need to delete my OS first?
m
l
May 15, 2012 3:31:07 AM

That last reply seemed a little off, what I meant was this should be easier:) 
m
l
May 15, 2012 3:34:51 AM

zmanxmans said:
That last reply seemed a little off, what I meant was this should be easier:) 

It is. You don't need to install or update any drivers. Install a fresh copy of Windows first. See my previous reply.

edited to add... if your SSD wasn't being recognized, you wouldn't be catching a glimpse of the Windows startup screen.
m
l
May 15, 2012 4:04:12 AM

Buy a Windows disk, boot from it on new machine and install end of story. You can't always expect a install from totally different hardware to work on new hardware.

Some idiot noobs will tell you that you can, and once in a while it seems like it works, but it is never ever a good idea. You have specific drivers and regisrtys for the old hardware left on the drive and it will always lead to problems.
m
l
May 15, 2012 4:21:18 AM

OK!! wu hu. I win, VICTORY. I know that's lame but whatevs. it was the AHCI settings thanks PDX Alex. You da man, BIG ups homie
m
l
May 15, 2012 6:22:30 AM

lol... to be fair, mmilner1 mentioned the AHCI setting as well. But who cares, really... main thing is you got it running.

Not lame. I always do the happy dance when I triumph over my naughty machine :) 
m
l
May 26, 2012 12:42:16 AM

;) 
pdxalex said:
lol... to be fair, mmilner1 mentioned the AHCI setting as well. But who cares, really... main thing is you got it running.

Not lame. I always do the happy dance when I triumph over my naughty machine :) 

m
l
!