Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Processor fan not spinning? & uknown plug

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 15, 2012 3:20:05 AM

I'm pretty new at taking things apart. I bought a new gateway i5 and just got a new GPU (6870 comes tomorrow) and PSU (installed it today). As I was unplugging the PSU plugs I forgot which plug this small white plug is.... my dvd drive isn't working after I plugged everything in... everything else is working great. As far as the DVD drive the light pops up when I press the button to eject but nothing else....

To make matters worse, that huge fan on my processor isn't working. I had to remove it to put the psu in a mini tower case.. it was just too big. I had the case open for a second to see if I could see it spinning and it wasn't when I turned on the computer. I checked the 2 plugs for the 2 fans, they both are in. I also installed a cpu temp reader... was like 38c under like 60 percent load... so idk if that's good or bad.

Any advice on these two problems would great. Thanks.

pic for you

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg209/scaled.php?server=...

small white one. Has two metal pins. Connects to something red I believe... red & white? idk.

More about : processor fan spinning uknown plug

May 15, 2012 3:33:04 AM

Where does the other end of that wire lead to? Does it come out of the power supply?
m
l
May 15, 2012 3:34:01 AM

yeah. YEAH it was in my old power supply. Forgot to mention that. I don't have that plug on my new power supply. I looked.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 15, 2012 4:13:28 AM

link to your system on gateway
m
l
May 15, 2012 5:34:43 AM

the system you linked do not have a pci-e slot in the specs it only have a onboard graphic card,wil need more info on the parts of this system and you could had picture of the inside your cpu fan should spin if connected correctly and good
m
l
May 15, 2012 6:38:13 AM

look like it clogged with dust
m
l
May 15, 2012 7:48:19 AM

no dust at all.
m
l
May 15, 2012 10:15:02 AM

that white plug is a fan header plug. looks like the old power supply and cpu fan were connected.
you need one of these cables to power the fan from a 4 pin molex.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1089/cab-04/3-pin_to_...
if the fan cable now has 4 pin connector there should be one or two on your mb if the vendor did not remove them.)
all you need to do with any of the cables is to se that the red to red wire and black to black wires line up. the other two are used for mb sence and speed. you dont need them if your fan is set up that way. for the cd-rom not working there should be two cables connected. one is power the other is the data cable. the data cable should go from the cd-rom to a connector on the mb.check to see that it not snapped off on ether end and it connected.
m
l
May 15, 2012 4:16:43 PM

smorizio said:
that white plug is a fan header plug. looks like the old power supply and cpu fan were connected.
you need one of these cables to power the fan from a 4 pin molex.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1089/cab-04/3-pin_to_...
if the fan cable now has 4 pin connector there should be one or two on your mb if the vendor did not remove them.)
all you need to do with any of the cables is to se that the red to red wire and black to black wires line up. the other two are used for mb sence and speed. you dont need them if your fan is set up that way. for the cd-rom not working there should be two cables connected. one is power the other is the data cable. the data cable should go from the cd-rom to a connector on the mb.check to see that it not snapped off on ether end and it connected.

Thank you that should solve the fan problem. I don't have the mobo manual because it's a prebuilt and gateway support doesn't have the manual on their site. I can see it's a Acer mobo mATX but other then that I have no idea. I have 6 sata port things on the mobo and two of them are light orange in color. Says SATA 0-5 I believe. I plugged it into there and it doesn't seem to work.
m
l