Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need advice on new build. New gamer here.

Last response: in Systems
May 15, 2012 4:24:06 AM

I would like the community's advice on my new build. This will be my first custom build computer and I am not as tech smart as most of you here so really appreciate your opinions. Here is the build I am considering. It's a mid tower build with Ivy Bridge and hopefully the GTX 680 if I can find a place that has one in stock. I would like to play Skyrim with a lot of HD mods and still run smoothly. Other games I would like to play in high to ultra settings are Battlefield 3 and Shogun 2. I don't have air conditioning in my room and so I am looking for a build that can keep things at low temp as possible even doing the summer.

Antec P280
Ivy Bridge 3770K
ASUS Z77 Deluxe
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
EVGA GTX 680 (Want to SLI in future?)
Corsair Force GT 120GB
Corsair AX 850 PSU
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

I especially need advice in the choice of my motherboard, CPU cooler and case. I picked the Antec P280 because I LOVE how it looks. (I don't like cases that look like an alien mothership). If one of you has a huge objection to the antec p280, please let me know. Again, this is my first build and although I've done a ton of research online, I am still new.

Thank you guys. I understand you guys get a lot of requests for advice so appreciate the time you guys take in helping me out.

J

More about : advice build gamer

Best solution

May 15, 2012 5:05:48 AM

Asus Sabertooth, 3570k and Antec H2O 920! Everything else looking good!
May 15, 2012 6:03:47 AM

Thanks for the fast response man! Can I ask for the reason for the Sabertooth over the Asus deluxe and the H20 920? Is the H20 920 difficult to put in the system? It is my first build so I am a bit nervous about attempting water cooling. What are the benefits of the Antec H20 920 vs the Cooler Master 212 EVO? Are there any other parts I need to buy to have water cooling?
m
l
Related resources
May 15, 2012 6:29:07 AM

Watercooling kits, like the antec and corsair ones, are not hard to put in at all. You attach a thing to the cpu socket, screw the radiator up just like you would fans, and twist the cpu block into place. Its not super easy, but just as easy as air cooling.
An antec 920 would probably be much better than the 212, giving you lower temps and more OC headroom.
The sabertooth board is the top of the line board. Only reason to buy it over the p8 series would be extreme OCing, aesthetics, or triple/quad sli or something.
m
l
May 15, 2012 7:00:47 AM

Thanks for the advice! Good to know that the antec 920 is not too difficult to put in. Although I don't think I will be over clocking intensively, it might be a good idea since my room can get pretty warm during summer. The reason I picked the ASUS P8Z77 Deluxe is because my friend told me that it comes with wife capabilities and I won't need to install a wifi card...err again I'm sorry if I just sound like a complete noob right now. My room doesn't have an ethernet connection so the only way I can connect to the internet is through wifi. If I get the ASUS sabertooth, does that mean I need to install a wifi card? If so, is that easy to do and set up as well?

Anyone else have any thoughts on CPU cooling? If not, I think I will go with the Antec 920 :) 
m
l
May 15, 2012 7:13:43 AM

Also, would I see a significant difference with the Antec 920 vs the CM 212? Cause the price difference is about $50.
m
l
May 15, 2012 9:57:47 AM

Well like I said, the antect will probably (i really dont know) be alot better than the CM 212, but the 212 will be good enough for stock clocks.
m
l
May 25, 2012 2:28:28 AM

Best answer selected by yakitoriboy.
m
l
May 26, 2012 12:06:19 AM

yakitoriboy said:
Thanks for the fast response man! Can I ask for the reason for the Sabertooth over the Asus deluxe and the H20 920? Is the H20 920 difficult to put in the system? It is my first build so I am a bit nervous about attempting water cooling. What are the benefits of the Antec H20 920 vs the Cooler Master 212 EVO? Are there any other parts I need to buy to have water cooling?

First I like the Sabertooth! It looks great, has a lot of features and I love the shield, it rly protects the mb. The H2O from Antec, or H Series from Corsair are Great! I have a H50 myself, I just got it on the realease, its cool, silent, and keep the weitgh and hot air far from the motherboard. WC closed systems are easy to install, only the one from Intel is a bit hard. I say H2O 920 other then H80 because I like the tubing of the Antec, its easier to manage!
m
l
!