Disable Windows XP's builtin zip support: How?

Hi

I want to Disable Windows XP's builtin zip support.

There are a few websites that recommend "regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll" to
unregister the dll that does this. However, whilst this appears to work
temporarily, it doesn't persist. I'm running XP / SP2. I've tried rebooting
immediately after and renaming zipfldr.dll (but XP then forcibly recreates
it from the backup copy).

Anyone know how to make zip support go away permanently?

Cheers

Brian Abbott

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 09:08:09 -0000, "Brian Abbott"
<brian@msdnacasystems.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I want to Disable Windows XP's builtin zip support.
>
>There are a few websites that recommend "regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll" to
>unregister the dll that does this. However, whilst this appears to work
>temporarily, it doesn't persist. I'm running XP / SP2. I've tried rebooting
>immediately after and renaming zipfldr.dll (but XP then forcibly recreates
>it from the backup copy).
>
>Anyone know how to make zip support go away permanently?
>
>Cheers
>
>Brian Abbott

It's easy.
1. Do that command to unregister the dll.
2. Then do a search for zipfldr.dll in the registry. After unregistering
it, there is usually just one instance of it. Delete that key.
3. Reboot so it's not loaded anymore.
4. Delete that file from your Windows\System32\dllcache folder.
5. Delete that file from your Windows\System32 folder. Answer No to the
prompt that WFP will pop up at you.
6. Use your favorite Zip program and associate it with zip files.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

To Disable:
1) Start Menu > Run
2) Type: regsvr32 /u %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll

To Enable:
1) Start Menu > Run
2) Type: regsvr32 %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll

"Brian Abbott" <brian@msdnacasystems.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I want to Disable Windows XP's builtin zip support.
>
> There are a few websites that recommend "regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll" to unregister the
> dll that does this. However, whilst this appears to work temporarily, it doesn't
> persist. I'm running XP / SP2. I've tried rebooting immediately after and renaming
> zipfldr.dll (but XP then forcibly recreates it from the backup copy).
>
> Anyone know how to make zip support go away permanently?
>
> Cheers
>
> Brian Abbott

I already tried that, as my original post said ...

"Taurarian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> To Disable:
> 1) Start Menu > Run
> 2) Type: regsvr32 /u %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll
>
> To Enable:
> 1) Start Menu > Run
> 2) Type: regsvr32 %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll
>

> "Brian Abbott" <brian@msdnacasystems.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I want to Disable Windows XP's builtin zip support.
>>
>> There are a few websites that recommend "regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll" to
>> unregister the dll that does this. However, whilst this appears to work
>> temporarily, it doesn't persist. I'm running XP / SP2. I've tried
>> rebooting immediately after and renaming zipfldr.dll (but XP then
>> forcibly recreates it from the backup copy).
>>
>> Anyone know how to make zip support go away permanently?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Brian Abbott

Thanks Michael, that sounds like it will do the job. I'll try it later - if
I'm not back here it worked!