Trying to find a good cpu cooler, Cooler Master vs Arctic Cooling

roostre

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Ok guys I'm at an impasse here I recently upgraded my cpu to an AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE 125 w. When I ordered it I browsed around newegg for a while looking for a cooler. I came upon the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2, which looked like it would be amazing, 5000+ reviews and still 5 eggs. Got it installed, pointing up (not so great for my case ((NZXT Apollo Black))), and was getting idle temps of 38-40 ^c and during gaming (Crysis 2) I was hitting 63 ^c. I decided to switch to the stock cooler that came with my 965 to see if it did any better. It gets low 30 ^c idle temps and during gaming still hits arounds 60 ^c.

I did some searching on forums and came across a lot of 965 owners going with the Cooler Master 212 plus saying they were getting idles in the 20's and max loads of 45. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these coolers/cpu's. I need to achieve lower temperatures, will the Cooler Master 212 plus or Cooler Master 212 Evo out perform the Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
Arctic Cooling or Cooler Master (YOU DECIDE!)
Asus m3a79-t Deluxe Motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5770
4x 2 Gb Gskill DDR2
3 Case fans (Front, Side, Back)
NZXT Apollo Case

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Check your Q-Fan settings in your BIOS, see if you can increase your cpu fan speed to performance or turbo setting. I do not know how your case fans are connected, to the power supply or motherboard, if motherboard you can try the same as you did for cpu. Let us know what you find out.

roostre

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Well I have my case fans hooked up to a Zalman ZM-MFC1 Combo, and have them turned all the way up. As for the stock cpu fan that I have on, It is hooked up to the motherboard, it's pwm controlled, it's noisy and I hate it. Basically I want to get rid of this stock cpu cooler and want to know if the Cooler Masters would outperform the Arctic Cooling. I'll get back with the bios settings.

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Yes the coolermaster will out perform the artic cooling freezer slightly. I have a phenom IIx4 965be also, with stock cooling and i play crysis2 on ultra setting and my cpu temp. will max out at 49c. just idle it is 38c but I have an antec 300 case with five fans.

roostre

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010

First of all thank you for the heads up on the Q-fan settings. I just got this motherboard from a friend, didn't really mess with it yet. Went into the bios set Q-fan to performance, restarted and it was silent, didn't really do anything for the temps it's idling around 36 right now, but this being an HTPC the reduction in noise is amazing! I'll have to give Crysis another go a bit later, see how the temps handle with Q-fan turned on. Thanks again!