AMD FX 6100 or Intel i5-3570k

npolite

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
Hi All,

I'm looking at building a new system from what I currently have which is an Intel C2D 6850. I don't play games on it and will probably not install my Nvidia 9600GT in my new build (unless something comes out that I want to play). I mostly video encode and just use it for browsing. I think I'm looking at either a FX 6100 or a Ivy Bridge 3570k so I can get the $50 off the motherboard at Microcenter. I remember reading that per core the Intel is superior over the FX 6100. As I am encoding though and hopefully apps like Handbrake will take advantage of all of the cores, would it be worthwhile to get the AMD instead of the Intel. Keep in mind there is about $100 difference between the AMD and Intel.

I'm happy with my SSD drive that I currently have and think that my current setup is great, just that encoding video takes forever and since I have a Nvidia chipset on my current MB, I've lost dual channel DDR and not sure when this board is going to eventually go.

Well, if you won't be using a discreet GPU, then the 3570K is really the way to go, since the 6100 doesn't have integrated graphics.

There are a few AM3+ boards that do have integrated graphics though, like this one http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A88V_EVO/#specifications

Also, Handbrake only uses the CPU for encoding, as far as I know, but for other programs that have GPU accelerated encoding, Quick Sync with the iGPU of the 3570K would speed up encoding tremendously.

Yeah, that'll work, actually (like the one that I posted will). As long as the chipset has a "G" at the end, you're good.

I was just making sure that you knew that you couldn't just use any board. It needs to be a board with a chipset that has integrated graphics (usually not the best chipsets to use, but the 880G board I linked is good. Not so hot about the 760G boards though).

You won't have that problem with the 3570K, though. Any compatible board that has video outputs (7 series, since you would need to update the BIOS of a 6 series board) will work with the 3570K's iGPU.

I honestly don't know how much better, if any, the 6100 is for CPU only video encoding over the 3570K, but the 3570K is my choice because it's the better CPU at everything else.

I should add that I despise the 6xxx CPU's in general though. I just plain don't like them and think that they don't have any place in the market.

If you don't want to go with the 3570K, then get a 8120/50. That actually will be at least slightly better at video encoding and is actually a CPU worth owning. The 3570K is still the better overall CPU, though.