Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

nokia 3200 modems

Tags:
Last response: in Brands
Share
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 3:52:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Hi,

I just bought a Nokia 3200, which I need for work and play. I have to
provide remote support sometimes so I need to get it working over over a
modem so I can dial into work.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Regards,
Zii.

More about : nokia 3200 modems

Anonymous
May 18, 2004 6:35:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Zii Ell wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I just bought a Nokia 3200, which I need for work and play. I have to
> provide remote support sometimes so I need to get it working over over a
> modem so I can dial into work.
>
> Does anyone know how to do this?
>
> Regards,
> Zii.

Extra info. I read that the 7250i is almost the same as the 3200, so I
tried to install the file Nokia7250iIrDA_2000_XP.inf (Right-click ->
Install), but it never installs the driver. I searched the registry for
the keywords Nokia and 7250, but there's nothing there so I can presume
that it didn't install at all. I'm using WinXP and the version of the
INF as stated above is for WinXP.

Any ideas?

Regards, Zii.
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 1:11:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"Zii Ell" <fakeemailaddr@individual.net> wrote in message
news:2gupqiF6pv4qU1@uni-berlin.de...
>
> Hi,
>
> I just bought a Nokia 3200, which I need for work and play. I have to
> provide remote support sometimes so I need to get it working over over a
> modem so I can dial into work.

Oops. Nokia 3200 does *not* have a modem. Useless for connecting your laptop
to the net. I have one but don't mind this....I don't have a laptop.
Related resources
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 2:57:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Chogaire wrote:

> "Zii Ell" <fakeemailaddr@individual.net> wrote in message
> news:2gupqiF6pv4qU1@uni-berlin.de...
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I just bought a Nokia 3200, which I need for work and play. I have to
>>provide remote support sometimes so I need to get it working over over a
>>modem so I can dial into work.
>
>
> Oops. Nokia 3200 does *not* have a modem. Useless for connecting your laptop
> to the net. I have one but don't mind this....I don't have a laptop.
>
>

According to the specification this is quite regular Series 40 phone.
Why does it not have a modem?
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 8:14:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

On Wed, 19 May 2004 10:57:33 -0400, Zii Ell
<fakeemailaddr@individual.net> wrote:

>Chogaire wrote:
>
>> "Zii Ell" <fakeemailaddr@individual.net> wrote in message
>> news:2gupqiF6pv4qU1@uni-berlin.de...
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I just bought a Nokia 3200, which I need for work and play. I have to
>>>provide remote support sometimes so I need to get it working over over a
>>>modem so I can dial into work.
>>
>>
>> Oops. Nokia 3200 does *not* have a modem. Useless for connecting your laptop
>> to the net. I have one but don't mind this....I don't have a laptop.
>>
>>
>
>According to the specification this is quite regular Series 40 phone.
>Why does it not have a modem?


built in modems are usually in the higher spec nokia 'business'
phones. The 3200 is more a youth, fun, cut-out covers phone.
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 8:14:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

eggster2k wrote:

> On Wed, 19 May 2004 10:57:33 -0400, Zii Ell
> <fakeemailaddr@individual.net> wrote:
>
>
>>Chogaire wrote:
>>
>>
>>>"Zii Ell" <fakeemailaddr@individual.net> wrote in message
>>>news:2gupqiF6pv4qU1@uni-berlin.de...
>>>
>>>
>>>>Hi,
>>>>
>>>>I just bought a Nokia 3200, which I need for work and play. I have to
>>>>provide remote support sometimes so I need to get it working over over a
>>>>modem so I can dial into work.
>>>
>>>
>>>Oops. Nokia 3200 does *not* have a modem. Useless for connecting your laptop
>>>to the net. I have one but don't mind this....I don't have a laptop.
>>>
>>>
>>
>>According to the specification this is quite regular Series 40 phone.
>>Why does it not have a modem?
>
>
>
> built in modems are usually in the higher spec nokia 'business'
> phones. The 3200 is more a youth, fun, cut-out covers phone.

Typically nokia never thought that business people actually like to have
fun and travel to other parts of the world. Saying all this I read
according to the specification this is a quite regular Series 40 phone,
so it strikes me as daft that you are unable to use it as a modem. It
doesn't cost anything extra as far as nokia is concerned. Anyhow, I'm
straying from the topic.

I heard that if I connected a USB cable to it and ran a data-cable
driver down it then it might work. Anyone ever done something like
this. I'm a bit out of my league here...
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 10:29:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

On Wed, 19 May 2004 10:57:33 -0400, Zii Ell wrote:

> According to the specification this is quite regular Series 40 phone.
> Why does it not have a modem?

All *series-40* defines is a certain minimum spec. namely memory, Java
capabilities, screen-size. And NOT things like modems, Bluetooth, cameras,
radios, MP3 players.

Which is why the *series-40* 6100 has an internal modem, but it does NOT
have a camera and FM radio.

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 10:29:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

michael turner wrote:

> On Wed, 19 May 2004 10:57:33 -0400, Zii Ell wrote:
>
>
>>According to the specification this is quite regular Series 40 phone.
>>Why does it not have a modem?
>
>
> All *series-40* defines is a certain minimum spec. namely memory, Java
> capabilities, screen-size. And NOT things like modems, Bluetooth, cameras,
> radios, MP3 players.
>
> Which is why the *series-40* 6100 has an internal modem, but it does NOT
> have a camera and FM radio.
>
OK, thanks for all your info Micheal.

Zii.
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 12:14:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"eggster2k" <eggster2k@NOSPAMbreathe.com> wrote in message
news:8buma0pi1rfbrps4sc2tha6ske0einofaf@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 19 May 2004 10:57:33 -0400, Zii Ell
> <fakeemailaddr@individual.net> wrote:
>
> >Chogaire wrote:
> >
> >> "Zii Ell" <fakeemailaddr@individual.net> wrote in message
> >> news:2gupqiF6pv4qU1@uni-berlin.de...
> >>
> >>>Hi,
> >>>
> >>>I just bought a Nokia 3200, which I need for work and play. I have to
> >>>provide remote support sometimes so I need to get it working over over
a
> >>>modem so I can dial into work.
> >>
> >>
> >> Oops. Nokia 3200 does *not* have a modem. Useless for connecting your
laptop
> >> to the net. I have one but don't mind this....I don't have a laptop.
> >>
> >>
> >
> >According to the specification this is quite regular Series 40 phone.
> >Why does it not have a modem?
>
>
> built in modems are usually in the higher spec nokia 'business'
> phones. The 3200 is more a youth, fun, cut-out covers phone.

I heard it's targeted at 'youths', but I'm 32 and quite comfortable with
it's style. I have no need for a modem either, so it's great for me. For the
price, compared with say the 7250i and other series 40 phones, it's a
bargain. The camera and screen display are the same specs, and it even has
16 chord polyphony over the 7250i's 4 chord, which is good. The memory, at
only 1MB, is a bit off putting for some, but I have 13 java games, 16
polyphonic tones and a healthy gallery of pics on it (and a data cable to
transfer to and from your PC makes memory even more of a non-issue).

Some are put off by the keypad, but I mastered it in hours, not days. I
would be a bit peeved if I was the OP who is in need of a modem, but I'm
absolutely over the moon with it.

I used the supplied cutter and cut out some gun metal coloured thick paper
and put it inside the fascia, it looks well sleek.....much better than the
gaudy '3D'/wobbly effect internal covers. It has totally transformed the
look.

I think for the money, unless you want a lot more than my own needs, it's a
great phone at an unbelievable price. It went down to £99.99 in 'The Link'
on Monday....I paid £130 in 'Carphone Warehouse' only a couple of weeks
ago:( This is a phone that should have had a £200 RRP when it was released
not too long ago. The guy in the shop says it's look is responsible for it
not selling too well, but you'd be amazed how different it can look with a
bit of effort. The effort in learning the key layout is miniscule compared
with say the new Nokia 7600 too (and a doddle compared to using your finger
nails on the 7210).

Chogaire
A proud, non-youth, 3200 owner.
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 12:14:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Chogaire wrote:
> "eggster2k" <eggster2k@NOSPAMbreathe.com> wrote in message
> news:8buma0pi1rfbrps4sc2tha6ske0einofaf@4ax.com...
>
>>On Wed, 19 May 2004 10:57:33 -0400, Zii Ell
>><fakeemailaddr@individual.net> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Chogaire wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>"Zii Ell" <fakeemailaddr@individual.net> wrote in message
>>>>news:2gupqiF6pv4qU1@uni-berlin.de...
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>>I just bought a Nokia 3200, which I need for work and play. I have to
>>>>>provide remote support sometimes so I need to get it working over over
>
> a
>
>>>>>modem so I can dial into work.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>Oops. Nokia 3200 does *not* have a modem. Useless for connecting your
>
> laptop
>
>>>>to the net. I have one but don't mind this....I don't have a laptop.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>According to the specification this is quite regular Series 40 phone.
>>>Why does it not have a modem?
>>
>>
>>built in modems are usually in the higher spec nokia 'business'
>>phones. The 3200 is more a youth, fun, cut-out covers phone.
>
>
> I heard it's targeted at 'youths', but I'm 32 and quite comfortable with
> it's style. I have no need for a modem either, so it's great for me. For the
> price, compared with say the 7250i and other series 40 phones, it's a
> bargain. The camera and screen display are the same specs, and it even has
> 16 chord polyphony over the 7250i's 4 chord, which is good. The memory, at
> only 1MB, is a bit off putting for some, but I have 13 java games, 16
> polyphonic tones and a healthy gallery of pics on it (and a data cable to
> transfer to and from your PC makes memory even more of a non-issue).
>
> Some are put off by the keypad, but I mastered it in hours, not days. I
> would be a bit peeved if I was the OP who is in need of a modem, but I'm
> absolutely over the moon with it.
>
> I used the supplied cutter and cut out some gun metal coloured thick paper
> and put it inside the fascia, it looks well sleek.....much better than the
> gaudy '3D'/wobbly effect internal covers. It has totally transformed the
> look.
>
> I think for the money, unless you want a lot more than my own needs, it's a
> great phone at an unbelievable price. It went down to £99.99 in 'The Link'
> on Monday....I paid £130 in 'Carphone Warehouse' only a couple of weeks
> ago:( This is a phone that should have had a £200 RRP when it was released
> not too long ago. The guy in the shop says it's look is responsible for it
> not selling too well, but you'd be amazed how different it can look with a
> bit of effort. The effort in learning the key layout is miniscule compared
> with say the new Nokia 7600 too (and a doddle compared to using your finger
> nails on the 7210).
>
> Chogaire
> A proud, non-youth, 3200 owner.
>
>

Likewise, I love the 3200. The keypad is easy to get used to. To be
honest its no difference. They keys are still in the same place, and
its easier for typing SMS.

I compared the developer specs (forum.nokia.com) for the 7250i and the
3200 and they are identical except the 4.6mb memory, heap size, and
extra features. Oddly enough it makes no meantion as to whether the
model includes a modem or not.

Its a great phone bar my unhappy experience.
Still feeling misled,
Zii.
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 5:50:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

On Wed, 19 May 2004 12:18:17 -0400, Zii Ell wrote:

> Typically nokia never thought that business people actually like to have
> fun and travel to other parts of the world.

A typical business traveller is probably more interested in getting
his/her laptop connected to the company's intranet as soon as he/she jumps
off the plane, rather than printing out the latest Teletubbies or whatever
Xpress-on cover. Anyway they can have a bit of fun, AFAIK all currently
available phones do have built-in or downloadable games.

> Saying all this I read
> according to the specification this is a quite regular Series 40 phone,
> so it strikes me as daft that you are unable to use it as a modem. It
> doesn't cost anything extra as far as nokia is concerned.

Actually the internal modem feature does cost something. It takes up space
in the phones operating firmware. And if the firmware ROM is already full,
you either need a bigger ROM (more cost), or one of the other features has
to go.

<snipped>

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 7:01:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"michael turner" <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in
> Actually the internal modem feature does cost something. It takes up space
> in the phones operating firmware. And if the firmware ROM is already full,
> you either need a bigger ROM (more cost), or one of the other features has
> to go.

Interesting. So the modem in a phone is a software modem as apposed to a
mini bit of hardware. So in theory if the ROM had more space, a firmware
update (not that it would ever happen of course) could include a modem?
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 5:01:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

On Thu, 20 May 2004 15:01:28 +0100, Chogaire wrote:

>
> "michael turner" <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in
>> Actually the internal modem feature does cost something. It takes up space
>> in the phones operating firmware. And if the firmware ROM is already full,
>> you either need a bigger ROM (more cost), or one of the other features has
>> to go.
>
> Interesting. So the modem in a phone is a software modem as apposed to a
> mini bit of hardware.

Yup thats basically it. The *firmware* provides a AT-command(Hayes
compatible) modem like interface to the phones connecting port, iRDA, or
Bluetooth.

The *real* modem portion (analogue POTS) of a data connection, is actually
handled by the service provider.

> So in theory if the ROM had more space, a firmware
> update (not that it would ever happen of course) could include a modem?

Yup.

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg
!