Computer randomly crashes

Bryantdl7

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Hi, I recently built my own computer, it worked fine for a while but now is shutting down like it's overheating (which its not) I have to unplug the power supply for a few seconds before it can turn on again. is there any diagnostic programs that check everything from the power supply to the video card?

Solution
It might be the power source or something is causing a short circuit somewhere.

When you can only turn the PC on after power down by unplugging the power cord, it normally means one of the PSU's protection circuits kicked in.

Try a different power socket.
If that does not work, unplug un-critical devices in the PC to track down the culprit.

jchurch83

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
what are you doing when it shuts down? playing games, browsing, etc. I had issues when I was playing games that used DX11 - my computer would lock up and I had to hard reboot. I turned DX11 off and it worked flawlessly. I also use an ATI Video card (sapphire hd 7970)

Bryantdl7

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
8 core AMD FX 8120 3.1 GHZ
Sapphire AMD video card with 1 GB DDR3 RAM
8 GB of DDR3 RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
BIOSTAR TA990FXE Motherboard
Sony Optiarc DVD/CD Reader/Burner
575 Watt LOGISYS Power Supply
RALINK WiFi card

Bryantdl7

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

it doesnt matter, i could be playing minecraft or watching something on youtube it just black screens... (DX11 off? whats that?)

blakwidowrsa

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
It might be the power source or something is causing a short circuit somewhere.

When you can only turn the PC on after power down by unplugging the power cord, it normally means one of the PSU's protection circuits kicked in.

Try a different power socket.
If that does not work, unplug un-critical devices in the PC to track down the culprit.

Solution

Bryantdl7

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

well i tried that and no luck as well
any other ideas? i dont really have any extra things other than a dvd burner (which is working fine) and an internet card (which is working fine)

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
You could try removing one piece of hardware at a time to see if it continues stuttering. I would start with removing all but one stick of RAM ( don't know how many you have ); then CD burner, and any extra hard drives if installed. If you have onboard graphics, remove the GPU.

blakwidowrsa

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
it worked fine for a while but now is shutting down like it's overheating (which its not) I have to unplug the power supply for a few seconds before it can turn on again.

Like I said before it has something to do with the PSU. Try/borrow another PSU and see what happens...