Sign in with
Your question

New Build (New to Building) - <$1500

Last response: in Systems
May 15, 2012 7:37:31 AM

EDIT (5/15):

Changed CPU cooler to something cheaper and went with the GTX670 instead.
Changed Mobo/CPU to support SLI.

Picture updated 5/15

I was wondering how this build is. I am completely new to this. My budget is ~ $1500 so things are free to change. This is just a rough draft, as I am saving up for the summer, and prices could drop on some of these.

I already have a 24" Acer Monitor, Logitech G110 keyboard, and a Logitech mouse. Are there any other parts I need?

Also, which graphics card would best suite my needs for games such as SCII, League of Legends, Battlefield 3

Please help. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

More about : build building 1500

May 15, 2012 8:01:14 AM

Everything seems to be there.

Most likely you won't need the sound card, the onboard audio should be quite sufficient.

If you can find it in stock, going for GTX670 instead of the 7870 would be nice, but the availability is low at the moment.

Also from usability perspective, getting a 120GB+ SSD as your OS drive would make the computer feel snappier.
m
l
Related resources
May 15, 2012 8:04:20 AM

rvilkman said:
Everything seems to be there.

Most likely you won't need the sound card, the onboard audio should be quite sufficient.

If you can find it in stock, going for GTX670 instead of the 7870 would be nice, but the availability is low at the moment.

Also from usability perspective, getting a 120GB+ SSD as your OS drive would make the computer feel snappier.

Alright I replaced the 7870 with the GTX670.

A SSD would make it too expensive. Maybe sometime in the future :) 
m
l
May 15, 2012 8:06:21 AM

Are you planning on overclocking a lot? If not, drop the CPU cooler - or at least just get a lower priced one like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have it and it works great.

Also, (correct me if I'm wrong) but drop the sound card. Your motherboard has built in sound of similar or better quality.

Used the saved money to upgrade the video card or add in an SSD
m
l
May 15, 2012 8:09:03 AM

elayman said:
Are you planning on overclocking a lot? If not, drop the CPU cooler - or at least just get a lower priced one like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have it and it works great.

Also, (correct me if I'm wrong) but drop the sound card. Your motherboard has built in sound of similar or better quality.

Used the saved money to upgrade the video card or add in an SSD

No I don't plan on overclocking it much. I am still new to this so I just want a gaming desktop that will last me a few years. The only future upgrades I plan on are a SSD and maybe more RAM :) 

Thank you for your input. I will find a cheaper cooler.
m
l
May 15, 2012 8:11:13 AM

Also you selected an EXTERNAL cd/DVD drive.. did you mean to? This means it will sit on your desk and not inside your case :) 
m
l
May 15, 2012 8:12:02 AM

elayman said:
Also you selected an EXTERNAL cd/DVD drive.. did you mean to? This means it will sit on your desk and not inside your case :) 

Ahh shoot. I totally overlooked that because I was so focused on everything else. Nice catch!
m
l
!