Sign in with
Your question

New Gaming Computer reusing GTX 460

Last response: in Systems
May 15, 2012 9:30:40 AM

Hello,
I want to build a new gaming PC, and I already have a GTX 460 from my previous computer. I'd really like to reuse my GTX460, which I think is still a good graphic card, and I'm thinking of buying another one to use in SLI.
I have chosen a few components and I'd like to be sure that everything is compatible. Also if you have some advice for better components of the same price, don't hesitate to comment!

Approximate Purchase Date: This month or the next one
Budget Range: £800-£900
System Usage: Gaming and programming
Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS
Preferred Website for Parts: none so far...
Overclocking: probably a little
SLI: yes
Monitor Resolution: 1920*1080

Details:
case: Antec 1100 (I'd like something smaller than 900 and 1200, which seem huge, but is it cool enough? and what about the noise?)
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 (or 850)
motherboard: Asus Maximus V GENE (it's a mATX, so the 2 GTX will be very close to each others, is that a problem?)
CPU: i5 3750K (or i5 2500K)
GPU: SLI GTX 460 (is it just me or are they becoming rare?)
RAM: 8 Gb DDR3 1600Mhz (any advice?)
SSD: OCZ Agility 120Gb
HD: Western Digital 1To
DVD reader: (can I do without one?)

My main concerns are on the case, PSU and motherboard because I don't have much experience with them. But I'd like them to be reusable when the other components will grow old.
Thank you.
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
May 15, 2012 9:42:49 AM

GTX 460s SLi together very well. The reason they're becoming rare is because they are now officially 2 generations old, but yes, they are still very respectable gaming cards.

Corsair TX750 is sufficient for 2 GTX460s, and they're backed by a 5 year warranty from Corsair, so you can count on it to last you at least that long (a good PSU can last 10 years easy)

Antec 1100 is a nice looking case. It has that sleek, non-flashy look that some people prefer, a good case can last you a lifetime.

For the CPU I would take the i5-2500k, theres no advantage of the more expensive 3750K over the 2500k for gamers, and the Ivy Bridge get pretty toasty when you overclock them for the trouble.

I think the Asus Maximums V GENE is insanely overpriced for a mATX board, if you want fancy, you could consider something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For RAM, its hard to go wrong if you stick with the better brands, Corsair, GSKILL, PNY, Samsung, Kingston, etc.

DVD reader, yes you can go without one, so long as you understand that you can't install software on DVD media (including Windows7) without one. Not a major inconvenience as far as Windows7 since you can purchase an iso download and install it from a bootable USB drive. DVD/CD burners are only $20USD or so nowadays, its not like they're a budget breaker.
May 15, 2012 9:56:06 AM

GTX 4** series are the best value on the market, when you can find the right ones. Your 256bit model will not SLI properly with the ones they are currently selling new , they are 192bit.

Get a refurb gtx 460 from newegg, this asus model is preferable because its 100.00 bucks

BUT its usually out of stock, so you can go with this evga model for 119.00:

The TX750 is plenty of wattage and amps for dual gtx 460's :) 

Also, stick to sandy bridge, as of now ivy bridge k series CPU's are failures.
!