Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I have this 450w power supply, need to know if it supports these..

Last response: in Components
September 2, 2012 2:01:49 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

this is the power supply i have.

this is my current computer along with a 1GB DDR3 Radeon HD 4670

now my real question is, im pretty sure that this setup is good enough to run any game on LOW settings, but Diablo 3 and skyrim and counter strike source and dota 2 are all on LOWEST settings that it could go. and im still lagging.

i was looking forward to getting a EVGA Geforce GTX 550 TI, but im wondering if this power supply barely can run the card i have right now? if not should i also upgrade my Power supply again once i get the GTX 550?

any help is appreciated, thank you very much
a b ) Power supply
September 2, 2012 2:27:52 AM

You are right on the borderline, powerwise. If you get a new video card (which it appears you badly need) go for the at least 560. The 550 still won't give you satisfaction.

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
September 2, 2012 2:30:49 AM

Power supplies impact stability, not performance. If your power supply is insufficient then you may experience crashes and shutdowns, but when it's stable it will run as well as it would on a 1200 watt power supply.

As far as an upgrade recommendation goes, I would recommend something from AMD's midrange lineup. The 550 Ti is old news and AMD's 7000 series midrange processors offer some very good bang for your buck. See if anything in the 7700 or 7800 range fits your budget as both will run without issue on that power supply.
Related resources
September 2, 2012 2:39:27 AM

Best answer selected by sjetsl.
a b ) Power supply
September 2, 2012 2:40:01 AM

sjetsl said:
now my real question is, im pretty sure that this setup is good enough to run any game on LOW settings, but Diablo 3 and skyrim and counter strike source and dota 2 are all on LOWEST settings that it could go. and im still lagging.

If you still have the stock 3GB RAM, that might also be part of your problem but with the ridiculously high prices on DDR2 these days, I cannot recommend upgrading that at this point unless you decide to go for a the whole CPU+MoBo+RAM combo.

GPU-wise, you could get the much faster HD6870 for about the same price as a HD7770.
September 2, 2012 2:41:54 AM

pinnhedd i thank you so much thanks!
September 2, 2012 2:44:56 AM

lets say i have a price range for 80-120$ whats best recommended?
a b ) Power supply
September 2, 2012 2:55:24 AM

sjetsl said:
lets say i have a price range for 80-120$ whats best recommended?

If you can muster up $150 you can get an HD 6850 which is very nice. An extra $50 on top of that will get you a much newer HD 7850. It depends on whether you want to invest now and future proof yourself for a bit, or upgrade again sooner.
September 2, 2012 2:59:58 AM

in a year ima buy a whole new gaming rig but i was thinking the GTX 550 TI is good enough to run WoW and diablo3 and skyrim etc on atleast MEDIUM with the shitty computer i have right now, i cant afford to buy a super beast video card and have to upgrade my psupply :( 
a b ) Power supply
September 2, 2012 3:03:52 AM

sjetsl said:
in a year ima buy a whole new gaming rig but i was thinking the GTX 550 TI is good enough to run WoW and diablo3 and skyrim etc on atleast MEDIUM with the shitty computer i have right now, i cant afford to buy a super beast video card and have to upgrade my psupply :( 

Both of the cards that I mentioned would run on your current PSU without issue.
!