Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

PSU Help

Last response: in Components
Share
September 2, 2012 3:01:51 AM

I am needing to upgrade my power supply unit as I am getting the error "System Fan Error. Please service to prevent from damage. Press F2 to continue." All of the fans are running, I just don't think they're running at the fastest speeds/RPM. I basically moved all of my parts out of my stock case into an Apevia X-Trooper case and that's when I got the error. I am assuming my power supply unit is not giving off enough power for them to run at the proper speeds? The PSU I'm currently using is a dinky stock one.

However, there are 5 case fans total. Each one has 2 molex connectors (1 female & 1 male - I believe). The PSU I am using doesn't have enough molex connectors therefore I bought splitters, but I think it's my PSU not having enough wattage. So this is the PSU I had in mind.

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OR

Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Would either one have enough connectors for my fans + whatever else is using molex connectors? Basically I have the standard motherboard, 1 ODD, 1 SATA HDD, case, PSU, card reader setup for now.

This would be much appreciated for the help!

Thanks,
Tyler

More about : psu

a c 148 ) Power supply
September 2, 2012 3:11:47 AM

I doubt your fans are a problem. They require very little power. The error you are getting doesn't relate to your fans unless they are plugged into the fan headers on the motherboard. And from your discription, it sounds like you have them plugged directly into the PSU Molex's. Try setting your BIOS to default settings to clear up the error. Another thing to check is your CMOS battery. IT may be time to change it. It could be losing BIOS settings.

The only fan you probably have plugged into the motherboard header is the CPU cooler fan. But an error msg pertaining to that would state CPU FAN, not SYS FAN.

But If you want a larger PSU anyway, list your system's specs for us. CPU, GPU, Memory, etc.
m
0
l
September 2, 2012 3:16:12 AM

So basically I should just reset my BIOS/CMOS battery?
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
September 2, 2012 3:19:31 AM

The 650w Corsair is a strong unit and can handle everything you listed and more.

However, the system fan error may have nothing to do with your power supply.

If your "stock" case had fans with 3 or 4 pin connectors and your new case uses molex connectors, there may simply be a fan header on your motherboard that was abandoned in the move and threw an "I'm lonely" error code when it awakened in the new case to find it's life-long companion (a fan in the old case) no longer attached.

Most over-the-counter motherboards simply take what they find (regarding system fans) and carry on. I would not be surprised if an OEM motherboard "expects" to see the fan(s) it left the factory attached to the same header(s) and working, every time it starts.

The male-female molex connectors on the new case fans are set up that way just to "give back" the connector it uses. You "give up" a connector from your PSU to run the fan, and that same connector is "given back" at the other end of that little pigtail.

*edit*

I type too slow.....
Share
September 2, 2012 3:30:56 AM

Z1NONLY said:
The 650w Corsair is a strong unit and can handle everything you listed and more.

However, the system fan error may have nothing to do with your power supply.

If your "stock" case had fans with 3 or 4 pin connectors and your new case uses molex connectors, there may simply be a fan header on your motherboard that was abandoned in the move and threw an "I'm lonely" error code when it awakened in the new case to find it's life-long companion (a fan in the old case) no longer attached.

Most over-the-counter motherboards simply take what they find (regarding system fans) and carry on. I would not be surprised if an OEM motherboard "expects" to see the fan(s) it left the factory attached to the same header(s) and working, every time it starts.

The male-female molex connectors on the new case fans are set up that way just to "give back" the connector it uses. You "give up" a connector from your PSU to run the fan, and that same connector is "given back" at the other end of that little pigtail.

*edit*

I type too slow.....


The thing is, the only fan that's plugged into the motherboard is the CPU fan. Everything else is plugged into the PSU. Now, I'm not 100% sure if the case fan was plugged into the motherboard too in the old case (which I'll be looking at in a second). But if so, then that may be the error? How would I be able to solve that then? Would I have to buy a new case fan, or what?

And I think I am wanting to up my PSU regardless as the current one is a low wattage one and the fans look like they're not spinning at the highest RPM they can go.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
September 2, 2012 3:35:50 AM

You could add another fan (with the needed connector) to your case somewhere and connect it to the "lonely" fan header. The fan doesn't need to be the same size, just the right connector. You may be able to clear the BIOS and hope that it "forgets" that there was ever a fan connected to that header in the first place. But OEM boards resist change. (For lack of a better way to put it)

Larger fans move more air at slower RPM's. That allows them to get the job done with less noise.

If you want a nice power supply, there's no harm in getting one. But I wouldn't consider it a "needed" upgrade at this stage of troubleshooting.
m
0
l
a c 148 ) Power supply
September 2, 2012 3:38:29 AM

TDUBS said:
So basically I should just reset my BIOS/CMOS battery?

That would be the very first thing I'd do, yes.
m
0
l
September 2, 2012 4:26:17 AM

Best answer selected by TDUBS.
m
0
l
September 2, 2012 4:32:40 AM

Z1NONLY said:
You could add another fan (with the needed connector) to your case somewhere and connect it to the "lonely" fan header. The fan doesn't need to be the same size, just the right connector. You may be able to clear the BIOS and hope that it "forgets" that there was ever a fan connected to that header in the first place. But OEM boards resist change. (For lack of a better way to put it)

Larger fans move more air at slower RPM's. That allows them to get the job done with less noise.

If you want a nice power supply, there's no harm in getting one. But I wouldn't consider it a "needed" upgrade at this stage of troubleshooting.


The one I selected "best answer" was indeed the problem. The case fan that was in the previous case was not put into this one. So, I removed it from the old case and removed the one from the new case and added it in and found where it was plugged into, in the motherboard. Now, it works. Feels so good not having to press F2 every time. The only thing is, it's a small fan so I basically have a case fan that came with the new one - out and not in use. So I need to buy a bigger case fan then the one that's in now - that has the 3 pin connector.

Thanks for the help everyone! :) 

Also, should I up my PSU since I'm planning on getting a new motherboard? It's 250W I believe and Bestec brand.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
September 2, 2012 4:40:22 PM

A motherboard upgrade alone shouldn't warrant a new PSU, but if you indent to use the new MB for overclocking or adding more components, yes, a PSU upgrade is in order.
m
0
l
!