Here's a config and a half

I'm buying 3 x IBM 60GXP 40Gb drives.

Now drive 1 will be partioned.
C: 2Gb - system stuff, Swap file etc.
D: 38Gb - All other apps, utilities etc.

Drives 2 & 3 will be configured to RAID 0 for games.

This should give me the faster access for gaming.

Question. Is my logic correct here? Should the swap file be on the RAID drive instead? Can I move my History/Temp Internet Folders/Recycle Bin to the D: partition?

Assuming any of this can be done, what is the ATA cable arrangement? Usually it is system = channel 1 master, but due to RAID, I am unsure. Does RAID recognise master/slave, or does the config rule this factor out?

P.S. OS will be Win98SE

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
You will get about 1-2 seconds of waiting time reduced for games. Raid excels in sustained writing to your hard drives. Your games will install faster, but that's about it. If your going to be doing some heavy data maneuvering then Raid 0 will get you some performance increases. Be prepared to back up your data regularly, the life of a Raid0 config before failure is anywhere from 1-2 years.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

G

An aside to the main point of your post:

Give a bigger partition to your C: drive. (This assumes that you're going to be using the system under Windows, which is reasonable since you plan to run games.) Microsoft often can't think outside of the vanilla box that contains one hard drive letter, and they believe everything should go on C:. All their drivers, system DLLs like DirectX and every version of MFC ever created, all go under C:\Windows. Some of their apps put more under C: than they do under their home directory.

If you give yourself only 2GB under C:, you'll fill it before you know it. Scads of space on the other drives, and you won't be able to install some software because it can't fit some files it thinks everyone wants access to under C:\Windows\System32.

At least get PartitionMagic so that you can resize the C: drive when necessary.

--dv

<font color=purple><b><i>--Insert witty saying or aphorism here--</i></b></font color=purple>

Bearing in mind that I'll have 512Mb RAM, I reckon the need for swap file space is limited only to games and when I've been running for extended periods of time.

Should I put the Windows managed swap file onto thr RAID drive?

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

G

I'd put the swap file on the fastest hard disk, as long as it has space. Sounds like the RAID array would be the best bet there.

--dv

<font color=purple><b><i>--Insert witty saying or aphorism here--</i></b></font color=purple>