Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sony BD-DVDRW SATA conflict

Last response: in Systems
May 15, 2012 12:45:15 PM

I just moved all of my new PC guts from an old case to a new one. Everything was working fine in the old case and now there's a strange problem. When my Sony BD-DVD drive is connected to any of the SATA ports on my MOBO my boot drive is no longer accessible.

With the Sony disconnected the boot drive reads properly and the system boots up beautifully. I don't believe the Sony has totally crapped out because it reads discs just fine and allows me to boot from my Win 7 disc while the boot drive is unreadable. What the deuce?

Sony connected: Bios shows Sony Optical & WD 2TB
Sony disconnected: Bios shows Crucial, Seagate & WD

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Build:
ASUS Z77 Deluxe
Crucial M4 256GB SSD
Sony BWU-5002 BD-DVDRW
Seagate 750GB Hybrid
WD 2TB 5400RPM
Win 7
May 15, 2012 1:02:18 PM

Plug in the bluray drive and boot into bios, change the boot sequence / priorities so it looks for SSD first.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 15, 2012 1:04:10 PM

make sure your boot drive is connected to the intel controller preferably SATA0. If your optical drive continues to give you trouble, put it on the 3rd party controller instead of the intel one.
m
l
Related resources
May 15, 2012 1:20:47 PM

pdxalex said:
Plug in the bluray drive and boot into bios, change the boot sequence / priorities so it looks for SSD first.

So here's the rub, with the Bluray connected the bios doesn't even register my boot drive (Crucial M4) as a boot option. The only drives that show up are the Sony and the WD 2TB. Disconnect the Bluray and the Crucial M4 pops up as a bootable option on reloading bios.

I've also tried nearly every possible variation of SATA connections, different wires (MOBO came with plenty), different connection ports, I'm baffled. Darn me for buying a new case!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 15, 2012 1:29:17 PM

I understand the MB has a lot of sata connectors. have you identified which belong to the integrated intel chipset and which ones belong to the 3rd party controller? If you attach the optical drive to the 3rd party controller it may not show up in the bios, but it will be detecting during post.
m
l
May 15, 2012 1:52:50 PM

nhasian said:
I understand the MB has a lot of sata connectors. have you identified which belong to the integrated intel chipset and which ones belong to the 3rd party controller? If you attach the optical drive to the 3rd party controller it may not show up in the bios, but it will be detecting during post.

The SATA connectors I'm using are the Dark Blue and White connection ports. I've experimented with combinations in all four slots. I even tried connecting the Bluray drive to one of the 3Gb/s light blue ports and that didn't change anything. I'll dig deeper into the manual when I get home from work today.

One additional factoid: The bios seems to have reset prior to booting up for the first time in the new case. I'm wondering if I need to reinstall the SATA drivers. Balls, why didn't I think of that before?
m
l

Best solution

May 15, 2012 2:39:06 PM

In the bios' boot menu, first go to "Hard Drive BBD Priorities" and select your SSD as #1. Then go back to where it says "Boot option 1" and your SSD should show up.

Without changing HDD BBD Priorities I don't get my SSD to show up as one of the two options in "Boot option 1" either. I think I get my optical drive and a HDD.
May 18, 2012 12:40:42 AM

Best answer selected by Crowbait.
m
l
May 18, 2012 12:41:34 AM

pdxalex said:
In the bios' boot menu, first go to "Hard Drive BBD Priorities" and select your SSD as #1. Then go back to where it says "Boot option 1" and your SSD should show up.

Without changing HDD BBD Priorities I don't get my SSD to show up as one of the two options in "Boot option 1" either. I think I get my optical drive and a HDD.

Worked like a charm. Thanks a billion!
m
l
!