Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Build - Failing to boot

Last response: in Systems
May 15, 2012 1:10:47 PM

Just put together a new computer this morning and when I tried the first boot it failed.

Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3
CPU - i5-2500k LGA1155
PSU - Antec Earthwatts 650w
Memory - Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB (On the motherboards compatibility list in the manual)

I've read through the Motherboards manual & shortstuff's thread but none of the solutions in there have helped. I've taken it al apart and re-assembled it double checking all of the cables are connected. I've tried booting with my GPU and with the onboard GPU. I have one stick of compatible memory in the recommended slot. I've disconnected all the harddisks and optical drives.

The Power LED indicator on the motherboard lights up but that's it. When I try to power on the the machine the VGA and the CPU LED indicators flash red. No fans come on.

I hope I've given enough information.

Thanks from someone filled with dread.

More about : build failing boot

a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2012 1:25:17 PM

take the MB out of the case and put it on an insulated surface. only attach the cpu, ram, and use the onboard gpu. attach the power supply as well. do not connect anything else. See if you can get your system to post now. if it doesnt, try resetting the bios. if that still fails one of those components may be defective: cpu, ram, MB.
m
l

Best solution

a c 80 V Motherboard
May 15, 2012 1:43:19 PM

Take the system out of the case and put it on a non conductive surface (e.g. wood, the box the mobo came in), remove the graphics card, all but one stick of RAM and whatever else you'v got in the PCI slots. Hook it all up to the PSU and Monitor, clear the CMOS. If it doesn't boot, change the RAM with the other one. If it still doesn't work, some part of it's broke. It could be the CPU (check for bent pins), RAM (chances of both being dead are low), motherboard itself or maybe the PSU (grab an old one and see if that works). Also make sure you are grounded when touching the components, its possible your static electricity fried something.

While doing all this, the Motherboard may start beeping at you. The manual should tell you what these beeps mean and could tell you what's wrong with the system.

Thats all I can think of at the moment, hope it works out for you.
If its any consolation, sometimes a PC just randomly decides not to work. Had a system on a bench that just refused to POST. Tried everything and nothing happened. Then it just worked one time I turned it on, so go figure.
Related resources
May 15, 2012 2:07:56 PM

Cheers guys. Breadboarding seems to have kick started my brain. First attempt it just did the same, nothing happened. Swapped the memory, nothing happened. Tried the cpu fan in different slots, nothing happened. Noticed my power supply also had a 4 pin connector so I plugged that in instead of the 8-pin and voila - Fans started spinning and I even heard a beep.

Time to put it back in the case and hope it works once inside.
m
l
May 25, 2012 9:00:49 AM

Best answer selected by dairylee.
m
l
!