Dramatic decrease in performance after driver update!

w71kevin

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
Hi guys. I have a radeon 5670 HD. Just last week I updated drivers without uninstalling the old one. I began to experience performance issues especially in League of Legends. My fps usually ran around 58-60 consistently. However, now it fluctuates dramatically (33-65fps). I tried many solutions. I tried a system restore and even a driver roll back, and it successfully restored me to my old drivers. However, I am still experiencing the same performance issues. I did research and read that some old driver remenants can stay and one should use Driver Sweeper. But, I also read that uninstalling old ATI drivers with Driver Sweeper will cause a SP1 failure. I also uninstalled the old driver and reinstalled it ( it automatically reinstalled it when I reboot) So thats out of the equation. Right now, I'm all out of options except reinstalling Windows 7. I doubt its a hardware problem because I just cleaned the inside a while ago and never had any issues with hardware. Currently, I have the old driver installed and the fps problem still persists.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks, Kev

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
there is no need to reinstall windows, just uninstall all graphics drivers, and reinstall again, are you sure you didn't changed game settings? sometimes upgrading drivers changes the game settings, maybe before you were running at lower graphics?

Also some old driver may perform better than new drivers for some specific games, that is why you must check if there was performance improvements before upgrading.

Just Uninstall every graphics driver/and catalyst, and reinstall them.

Can you just restore to before the driver change ?
that would be the easiest thing to do.

Did you actually have a reason to update the drivers ? Or did you just do it on a whim or because you thought you had to ?
Either way I trust that you wont be so ready to fix something that is not broken in future. :D

Just pulling your leg but the advise is serious I wouldn't update unless there was a real issue that teh update would potentially fix

Mactronix :)

w71kevin

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
yeah , i updated the driver because i had a little freeze every now and then in game. The game would freeze for about a second and the sound would jumble up. I did some research and read updating drivers could fix it. And I tried restoring before the driver change and the problem still persisted. Next time, I won't touch anything lol.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

that is one of the reasons i don't buy amd, driver problems.

Just do what i've said, uninstall all video driver, and reinstall them (update directx also may help) make sure you have installed all your game directx dlls (game redist folder normally).