Does Banned Realy Mean Banned?

Thanks to Lorian, my PunkBuster problem
has been solved and thanks to more memory,
the game runs smoother. But here's what happened a
while ago. I joined a BFV server that was running the "Operation
Game Warden" map. I don't know the name of the server.
Just as I spawned I see an American. I'm on the NVA side.
I fire a RPG at him and miss. A teammate kills him. A few
seconds later pop, a message comes up saying I'm "Banned
From Server". Banned for what? I was only on the server for about ten
seconds. WTH! I didn't TK or anything. Could I really be banned from
this server for no reason? I've been playing on line games for a long
time and NEVER been banned before. I always play by the rules.
What a disgrace!

"Mitch" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Thanks to Lorian, my PunkBuster problem
> has been solved and thanks to more memory,
> the game runs smoother. But here's what happened a
> while ago. I joined a BFV server that was running the "Operation
> Game Warden" map. I don't know the name of the server.
> Just as I spawned I see an American. I'm on the NVA side.
> I fire a RPG at him and miss. A teammate kills him. A few
> seconds later pop, a message comes up saying I'm "Banned
> From Server". Banned for what? I was only on the server for about ten
> seconds. WTH! I didn't TK or anything. Could I really be banned from
> this server for no reason? I've been playing on line games for a long
> time and NEVER been banned before. I always play by the rules.
> What a disgrace!

Of course, a server's admin can ban anyone they feel like. Your best
recourse would be to contact the admin and see if there's a reason. Have you
tried getting on again? Maybe it was a temporary ban?

--
Visit the [FLOT] MOHAA: Spearhead servers: East Coast server: 12 Player
TDM/Moded: 66.55.134.103!

Carl

GrössKopf FLOT Admin wrote:
> "Mitch" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
>
>>Thanks to Lorian, my PunkBuster problem
>>has been solved and thanks to more memory,
>>the game runs smoother. But here's what happened a
>>while ago. I joined a BFV server that was running the "Operation
>>Game Warden" map. I don't know the name of the server.
>>Just as I spawned I see an American. I'm on the NVA side.
>>I fire a RPG at him and miss. A teammate kills him. A few
>>seconds later pop, a message comes up saying I'm "Banned
>>From Server". Banned for what? I was only on the server for about ten
>>seconds. WTH! I didn't TK or anything. Could I really be banned from
>>this server for no reason? I've been playing on line games for a long
>>time and NEVER been banned before. I always play by the rules.
>>What a disgrace!
>

> Of course, a server's admin can ban anyone they feel like. Your best
> recourse would be to contact the admin and see if there's a reason. Have you
> tried getting on again? Maybe it was a temporary ban?

Sorry to hear that Mitch. It sounds like a mistake to me. Do you know
what admin tool was being used on the server? There are many reasons
why a player gets banned accidentally and usually with our BFRM tool its
selecting the wrong player id by mistake when a player is selected for a
valid reason for a kick or ban. Something else which is common is when
you select a player id to be kicked or banned and before the command is
issued by the admin, or as the command is being issued by the admin,
that player disconnects himself from the server. Then another player
connects (perhaps you) taking the previous players id and the new player
is kicked/banned in error. This would explain why you were only
connected for a few seconds and apparently did nothing wrong.

Of course you cant rule out smacktard admin behaviour, but I do get
annoyed when players shout a load abuse after being kicked accidentally
and call us "power-tripping noob admins" when they return to our server
or shout about it in our forums, when it was a simple human error. If
any of our members abuse restricted admin control I take it away from
them but Ive never had to do that thankfully.

Follow the advice already mentioned and contact the leader of the clan
or server and explain all politely. If its is a rogue admin and its not
adressed then maybe your better off not playing on their server. The
server log can be checked by the leader or full admin to see who banned
you and what for, so dont be fobbed off.

--
[ATF]NoX
(co-leader)

GrössKopf FLOT Admin wrote:
> "Mitch" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
>
>>Thanks to Lorian, my PunkBuster problem
>>has been solved and thanks to more memory,
>>the game runs smoother. But here's what happened a
>>while ago. I joined a BFV server that was running the "Operation
>>Game Warden" map. I don't know the name of the server.
>>Just as I spawned I see an American. I'm on the NVA side.
>>I fire a RPG at him and miss. A teammate kills him. A few
>>seconds later pop, a message comes up saying I'm "Banned
>>From Server". Banned for what? I was only on the server for about ten
>>seconds. WTH! I didn't TK or anything. Could I really be banned from
>>this server for no reason? I've been playing on line games for a long
>>time and NEVER been banned before. I always play by the rules.
>>What a disgrace!
>

> Of course, a server's admin can ban anyone they feel like. Your best
> recourse would be to contact the admin and see if there's a reason. Have you
> tried getting on again? Maybe it was a temporary ban?

I didn't notice the name of the server but I did try getting
on servers that were running that map and didn't have any
problems getting on. If I come across a server that says I'm banned,
I'll try to contact the Admins and explain to them what happened.
It must have been a mistake. If not, there's an Admin out there
that's one mean S.O.B.

Thanks.

carl wrote:
> GrössKopf FLOT Admin wrote:
>
>> "Mitch" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Thanks to Lorian, my PunkBuster problem
>>> has been solved and thanks to more memory,
>>> the game runs smoother. But here's what happened a
>>> while ago. I joined a BFV server that was running the "Operation
>>> Game Warden" map. I don't know the name of the server.
>>> Just as I spawned I see an American. I'm on the NVA side.
>>> I fire a RPG at him and miss. A teammate kills him. A few
>>> seconds later pop, a message comes up saying I'm "Banned
>>> From Server". Banned for what? I was only on the server for about ten
>>> seconds. WTH! I didn't TK or anything. Could I really be banned from
>>> this server for no reason? I've been playing on line games for a long
>>> time and NEVER been banned before. I always play by the rules.
>>> What a disgrace!
>>

>> Of course, a server's admin can ban anyone they feel like. Your best
>> recourse would be to contact the admin and see if there's a reason.
>> Have you tried getting on again? Maybe it was a temporary ban?
>>

> Sorry to hear that Mitch. It sounds like a mistake to me. Do you know
> what admin tool was being used on the server? There are many reasons
> why a player gets banned accidentally and usually with our BFRM tool its
> selecting the wrong player id by mistake when a player is selected for a
> valid reason for a kick or ban. Something else which is common is when
> you select a player id to be kicked or banned and before the command is
> issued by the admin, or as the command is being issued by the admin,
> that player disconnects himself from the server. Then another player
> connects (perhaps you) taking the previous players id and the new player
> is kicked/banned in error. This would explain why you were only
> connected for a few seconds and apparently did nothing wrong.
>
> Of course you cant rule out smacktard admin behaviour, but I do get
> annoyed when players shout a load abuse after being kicked accidentally
> and call us "power-tripping noob admins" when they return to our server
> or shout about it in our forums, when it was a simple human error. If
> any of our members abuse restricted admin control I take it away from
> them but Ive never had to do that thankfully.
>
> Follow the advice already mentioned and contact the leader of the clan
> or server and explain all politely. If its is a rogue admin and its not
> adressed then maybe your better off not playing on their server. The
> server log can be checked by the leader or full admin to see who banned
> you and what for, so dont be fobbed off.

Thank you carl.
Didn't notice the server name but I'll watch
and see if any servers say I'm banned. If I come across one,
I'll try to get in touch with them and explain what happened. If
their reasonable, they'll un-ban me and if their not, I don't want
to play on their server anyway.

carl wrote
>Sorry to hear that Mitch. It sounds like a mistake to me. Do you know
>what admin tool was being used on the server? There are many reasons
>why a player gets banned accidentally and usually with our BFRM tool
>its selecting the wrong player id by mistake when a player is selected
>for a valid reason for a kick or ban. Something else which is common
>is when you select a player id to be kicked or banned and before the
>command is issued by the admin, or as the command is being issued by
>the admin, that player disconnects himself from the server. Then
>another player connects (perhaps you) taking the previous players id
>and the new player is kicked/banned in error. This would explain why
>you were only connected for a few seconds and apparently did nothing wrong.

Some good points there especially about the possibility of human error
or being assigned the same player ID as someone that has just
disconnected. It is easy to make a mistake especially if you're farting
about Alt/tabbing out of the game to access the server software. We
used BFRM in the past and switched to BFCC a while back. That has text
to voice support so in theory you don't have to Alt/tab out of the game,
but to be honest I find that feature a bit too time consuming.

One recommendation to anyone who gets booted from a server and feels it
was unjustified. Connect to the server again and ask politely why you
were booted. If it was a mistake any decent admin will say so and
apologise. If you connect with an attitude and call them lame ass n00bs
or whatnot you'll just end up on the receiving end of a ban, regardless
of whether the initial kick had been accidental.

--
[AGB]Villy Vonka
Sheffield, UK

"Villy Vonka" <Villy@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
> carl wrote
>>Sorry to hear that Mitch. It sounds like a mistake to me.
>>Do you know what admin tool was being used on the server?
>>There are many reasons why a player gets banned
>>accidentally and usually with our BFRM tool its selecting
>>the wrong player id by mistake when a player is selected
>>for a valid reason for a kick or ban. Something else
>>which is common is when you select a player id to be
>>kicked or banned and before the command is issued by the
>>admin, or as the command is being issued by the admin,
>>that player disconnects himself from the server. Then
>>another player connects (perhaps you) taking the previous
>>players id and the new player is kicked/banned in error.
>>This would explain why you were only connected for a few
>>seconds and apparently did nothing wrong.
>
> Some good points there especially about the possibility of
> human error or being assigned the same player ID as
> someone that has just disconnected. It is easy to make a
> mistake especially if you're farting about Alt/tabbing out
> of the game to access the server software. We used BFRM
> in the past and switched to BFCC a while back. That has
> text to voice support so in theory you don't have to
> Alt/tab out of the game, but to be honest I find that
> feature a bit too time consuming.
>
> One recommendation to anyone who gets booted from a server
> and feels it was unjustified. Connect to the server again
> and ask politely why you were booted. If it was a mistake
> any decent admin will say so and apologise. If you
> connect with an attitude and call them lame ass n00bs or
> whatnot you'll just end up on the receiving end of a ban,
> regardless of whether the initial kick had been
> accidental.
>
> --
> [AGB]Villy Vonka
> Sheffield, UK
> http://www.villyvonka.co.uk

If you're banned from a server can you reconnect to the
server?
I thought you'd get a message saying you're banned and not
be
able to connect.

Mitch wrote
>If you're banned from a server can you reconnect to the
>server?
>I thought you'd get a message saying you're banned and not
>be
>able to connect.

Sorry, no you wouldn't be able to reconnect if you had been banned, you
would need to contact the people who run the server, perhaps they have
forums where you could post a message?

--

> Mitch wrote
>>If you're banned from a server can you reconnect to the
>>server?
>>I thought you'd get a message saying you're banned and not
>>be
>>able to connect.
>
> Sorry, no you wouldn't be able to reconnect if you had
> been banned, you would need to contact the people who run
> the server, perhaps they have forums where you could post
> a message?
>
> --
> [AGB]Villy Vonka
> Sheffield, UK