Sign in with
Your question

Monitor goes to standby after heavy cpu usage

Last response: in Systems
May 15, 2012 2:42:05 PM

ok i have this annoying problem and the similar posts here havent solved it.

i upgraded my PC about 2 weeks ago to a quad core cpu, new MB and 8gb ram.
im using my original graphics card which is a ati radeon HD 5450 1gb pci-e
and the problem i am having is that when i play certain games, the monitor fgoes into standby mode. i never had problems with the games on my old machine.

eg: on th old machine i could play mincraft, use teamspeak and record with fraps at the same time, now i can only play minecraft cause the minite i try to use fraps or TS my monitor goes to standby. same with playing startrek online. i could play it on the old machine but goes to standby after a coule of minites playing it on this one.

specs of my old machine:
3.06Ghz cpu (single core)
Intel D100 MB
2Gb ram
ATI Radeon Hd 5450 1Gb Pci-e graphics card
450W Psu

New Machine:

Amd Athlon II Quad core 2.8Ghz
Asrock A55m-Hvs MB
8Gb AMD perfornace ram
the Same ATI radeon graphics card
700W PSU

The new PSU i went out and got this morning and am still having the same trouble.

i hope that the comunity can help me figure this out. im pulling so much hair out in fustraition that i might go bald before this is sorted.

thanks in advance
May 15, 2012 5:04:02 PM

This sounds like the GPU is not sending a pic to the monitor.

If the monitor does not get signal then it would think the computer is off.

Do you happen to have an on board video card? if so try that and see what happens.

if not you do have an on board gpu then i would see if you can find one to check if it is the GPU.
May 15, 2012 11:15:33 PM

i do have one but i cant seem to figure out how to switch it over to onboard. it isnt in bios
Related resources
May 15, 2012 11:38:35 PM

In order to switch to VGA on board You'll find somewhere in the bios something called Graphics adapter or something which more than likely will be allocated to PCI-Express 16x. You can change this to The on-board chipset, save and reset bio's. Or alternatively, Insert your VGA cable and remove the GPU from the system which will then make the computer boot from the recognized Graphics adapter which obviously will be your on-board chipset. :D 
Hope this helps you diagnose whether or not it is the Graphics card :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2012 12:26:27 AM

Also rule out thermal problems.

Use a monitor like HWMonitor from CPUID or REALTEMP to get temps (google them).
May 16, 2012 2:51:16 AM

Might be worth while running it though a different monitor, But as i last recall you was running HDMI on you screen via your GPU, Under the situation that the onboard chipset works fine for example try running a different out put whether thats VGA or DVI, Through your HD5450 because with what your saying those particular applications may very well have flaws with running on HDMI output. One of the other things I can think of currently for you to check out would be the Hertz that the applications are running when executed/Launched because if the Hertz of the applications are more than that of the screen, The display will go black to prevent damage.
I'll keep your situation in mind and if I witness anything alike I'll PM you and give you a heads up, Likewise If i see anything online with regards to something similar I'll link you the HTML.

Hope this help's you bud :) 

[MSI G41M-P25| Intel Core2Duo E6750 (2666Mhz)| 2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance (1333Mhz)| Nvidia EVGA GTX460 EE| Asus Xonar DG 5.1| Corsair Hydro Series H60 Water Cooler| Corsair CX430W Non-Modular PSU| Zalman z9+]
!