Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Whining Noise

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 12, 2012 10:40:03 PM

Hi there, whilst in any game, i hear a whining noise, but not from the PSU or Case, but through my headset, they work perfectly fine in my laptop and ipod, but as soon as i start a game up and click different things to load my saves, or change my graphics settings, the whining changes pitch, its very similar to the ones people hear from there PSUs/GPU's But ive not found anyone who has that kind of sound coming through their headset.
My Specs are as follows:
- (Asus) Amd 6850 1gb
- 8gb DDRM @ 1333ghz
- i5 2500k ( i have another problem with this)
- Asus p8z68- Vlx MB
- Winpower PSU 850W (i didnt order this, i ordered a 700W PSU, but they gave me 4 x 2gb ram rather than 2 x 4Gb ram *that maybe why?*)
- Asetek watercooling
- Hitachi 1TB Sata2 32mb

im not sure whether any of these components are the cause

More about : whining noise

Best solution

March 12, 2012 11:46:50 PM

It is your 2500k, I've heard many problems like this and have the same problem myself. It has to do with the onboard sound card, I went out and bought a 50$ sound card and not only is my audio quality much better, but it lacks the whining/droning noise on my speakers. I haven't heard of any solution to this short of buying a new sound card, but i'm sure there is information on the web of how to fix it. :)  start with the intel site.
March 13, 2012 1:27:28 PM

Best answer selected by Wiggy59.
Score
Related resources
March 13, 2012 1:29:41 PM

Thank you very much! I will definitely see if the Intel people know of a fix, and also look into buying a new sound card along with the other 5 things i desperately need! Cheers
Score
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 1:42:21 PM

yep, it is interference between your CPU and sound card (some of the wires in the sound card are not properly grounded, and they pick up CPU radiation like a radio, and that is what you are hearing). There is no way to solve this through any type of software as it is a physical issue.
To solve this on my PC I could either plug into the rear panel jack which did not have the issue like the front panel jack did, or go digital output to a receiver. After moving on to digital you will never need to buy another sound card again :) 
Score
March 13, 2012 1:54:46 PM

Careful that noise could be a ghost in the wire.
Score
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 2:18:45 PM

lol Motoko could jump out and kick your ass lol
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 8:01:56 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!