Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help on my Upgrade... Pls don't ignore...

Last response: in Systems
May 15, 2012 3:58:18 PM

Hi guys, I'm in a bit of confusion here...

I'm planning to upgrade my PC and I'm stuck in this situation...

I have done some research and have these doubts left.

My Questions are:
1). The Motherboard I choose has ATX Form factor and I prefer to buy the Cooler Master Gladiator 600 Mid Tower Cabinet.
On further research I found that one con of Gladiator is that it will restrict room for a large aftermarket cooler due to the size and positioning of Fan at the top.
The cooler I choose is not so large but I plan to upgrade in near future to something like Cooler Master V6 or V8.
Will this be a problem..???
Also the CPU socket of my MoBo is situated away from the Top fan... So crosscheck this fact with the above question.
The 4x4 CPU power connector is near the top fan. Will there be a problem to connect it..???

Check the below given link for images.

Also point out comparisons between Gladiator 600, Antec 300 and Antec 200 so that I can choose from one.

2). I would like to buy an SSD and from the product available here in India, OCZ Agility 3 -60 GB SSD is very good.
I was planning to buy that, then i saw some complaints that shows the failure rate is high for OCZ Agility and their service is poor...
I'm confused... Do I have I have to go for this one? What is your opinion on Intel SSD...???

3). This is regarding the power supply. I'm really stuck with the PSU... I know you guys may recommend Cooler Master, Antec, Seasonic and Corsair.
Here is the real trouble. Its regarding Power Factor Correction(PFC). See, I'm from India. I don't know how or why, but we can't use good PSU's with PFC's without using a Pure Sinewave Generating UPS.

Here a Pure Sinewave Generating UPS will cost around 200$ and I can't afford that. Even the PSU I mentioned is a replaced unit of my friend.
His PSU has burnt 3 times in three years an he's under warranty so that he got it replaced for the third time.

Am I missing something in the third question or is this a total blunder...??? I need advice on using PSU with PFC in India.
Is it safe to use this PSU with a normal UPS...???

4). I have chosen Sapphire HD 6850 over XFX. XFX is a lot cheaper, but I heard their quality is bad. I believe Sapphire is a good company.
And also another doubt. I know its mid-range card and when i Google it, i found that its 23 cm long. Will this easily fit into these 3 cases..??

5). I'm planning to add two more fans to the Cabinet (All 3 has two built-in fans). What should be the positioning of intake and exhaust for good airflow.

I'm gonna put the upgrade configuration below;

Motherboard:
--------------
*ASUS M5A97 Motherboard (AM3+ Socket Type) (ATX Form Factor)
http://www.flipkart.com/asus-m5a97-motherboard/p/itmd5p...

Processor:
--------------
*AMD 3.6 GHz AM3+ FX4100 Processor (Bulldozer Series)
http://www.flipkart.com/amd-3-6-ghz-am3-fx4100-processo...

Graphics Card:
--------------
*Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6850 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
http://www.flipkart.com/sapphire-amd-ati-radeon-hd-6850...

CPU Cooler:
--------------
*Antec Kuhler Box AP CPU Cooler
http://www.flipkart.com/antec-kuhler-box-ap-cpu-cooler/...

Power Supply:
--------------
*Cooler Master GX 550W 550 Watts PSU
http://www.flipkart.com/cooler-master-gx-550w-550-watts...

RAM:
--------
*G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB (DDR3-1600/PC3-12800)
http://www.flipkart.com/g-skill-ripjawsx-ddr3-4-gb-1-x-...

SSD:
--------
*OCZ Agility 3 60 GB SSD Internal Hard Drive (AGT3-25SAT3-60G)
http://www.flipkart.com/ocz-agility-3-60-gb-ssd-interna...

Cabinet
---------
*Cooler Master Gladiator 600 Mid Tower Cabinet
http://www.flipkart.com/cooler-master-gladiator-600-mid...

*Antec Three Hundred Mid Tower Cabinet
http://www.flipkart.com/antec-three-hundred-mid-tower-c...

*Antec Two Hundred V2 Cabinet
http://www.flipkart.com/antec-two-hundred-v2-cabinet/p/...

Awaiting your reply.

More about : upgrade pls ignore

May 15, 2012 4:10:46 PM

If your concerned with space for your parts, i recommend a full ATX tower, and for the CPU pin by the top fan, as long the wires are not interfering with the fan it should be ok.

For the GPU, im an Nvidia person, but I hear Sapphire is good as far as Radeon is.

For the PSU im not an expert on that either.

Hope this helps.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

May 15, 2012 4:34:14 PM

Hi,

Answers below:

1. According to the manual, the Gladiator 600 has 165mm of clearance for the CPU cooler. That is more than enough for the cooler you selected. The only thing you will have to worry about is clearance with your RAM. G.Skill makes a low profile line of RAM called ARES but I didn't see it on the website you linked. (Sidenote: The v6 and v8 are generally regarded as adequate coolers but a little overpriced.)

2. Last I heard, OCZ was having a lot of problems with their SSD firmware. I'd normally recommend the Crucial M4 or something from Intel or Samsung but I don't see any of them on that website you linked. If there are other places you can buy from, it might be worth looking into.

3. Someone else is going to have to step in here. I'm not sure and I don't want to give you bad advice/have your system explode. Although I will say that if you are using your friend's PSU that has blown out 3 times in 3 years, it is probably time to find something new.

4. I've always thought of XFX as a top tier company. They have 5-year or lifetime warranties on a lot of their products, at least in the US. I would check the warranty info on the XFX card you mentioned and if it is decent, go with the cheaper option. As far as fitting in the cases you selected, you shouldn't have any issues.

5. You're probably going to have to play with the intake/exhaust layout of your fans to find the best. Each case and layout is going to be slightly different. Personally, I tend to have more intake fans than exhaust fans to try to keep the case at a higher pressure than outside air. The idea being higher pressure=higher density, higher density=higher capacity for heat transfer. It's not very scientific but there it is.

Some other notes:

A. What is the primary purpose for this system? I'm assuming gaming but I want to be sure. Also, what is your monitor resolution?

B. I notice you chose to go with bulldozer. You might be better off picking up an Intel Sandy Bridge CPU. They are pretty superior to bulldozer in almost every way and should be slightly cheaper now that Ivy Bridge is out. If you can find an i3-2100 or an i5-2500k for a reasonable price, I'd suggest looking into it.

C. You'd probably be better off going with a 2x2Gb or 2x4Gb set of RAM as opposed to the single 4Gb stick. The memory is dual-channel which means it'll run ever so slightly faster with 2 sticks instead of 1.

Good luck and happy building
May 15, 2012 4:41:57 PM

subasteve5800 said:
Hi,

Answers below:

1. According to the manual, the Gladiator 600 has 165mm of clearance for the CPU cooler. That is more than enough for the cooler you selected. The only thing you will have to worry about is clearance with your RAM. G.Skill makes a low profile line of RAM called ARES but I didn't see it on the website you linked. (Sidenote: The v6 and v8 are generally regarded as adequate coolers but a little overpriced.)

2. Last I heard, OCZ was having a lot of problems with their SSD firmware. I'd normally recommend the Crucial M4 or something from Intel or Samsung but I don't see any of them on that website you linked. If there are other places you can buy from, it might be worth looking into.

3. Someone else is going to have to step in here. I'm not sure and I don't want to give you bad advice/have your system explode. Although I will say that if you are using your friend's PSU that has blown out 3 times in 3 years, it is probably time to find something new.

4. I've always thought of XFX as a top tier company. They have 5-year or lifetime warranties on a lot of their products, at least in the US. I would check the warranty info on the XFX card you mentioned and if it is decent, go with the cheaper option. As far as fitting in the cases you selected, you shouldn't have any issues.

5. You're probably going to have to play with the intake/exhaust layout of your fans to find the best. Each case and layout is going to be slightly different. Personally, I tend to have more intake fans than exhaust fans to try to keep the case at a higher pressure than outside air. The idea being higher pressure=higher density, higher density=higher capacity for heat transfer. It's not very scientific but there it is.

Some other notes:

A. What is the primary purpose for this system? I'm assuming gaming but I want to be sure. Also, what is your monitor resolution?

B. I notice you chose to go with bulldozer. You might be better off picking up an Intel Sandy Bridge CPU. They are pretty superior to bulldozer in almost every way and should be slightly cheaper now that Ivy Bridge is out. If you can find an i3-2100 or an i5-2500k for a reasonable price, I'd suggest looking into it.

C. You'd probably be better off going with a 2x2Gb or 2x4Gb set of RAM as opposed to the single 4Gb stick. The memory is dual-channel which means it'll run ever so slightly faster with 2 sticks instead of 1.

Yeah.. You are right.. The purpose is sheer gaming... I'm gonna stick with my current 17" LCD and the resolution will be 1280X1024.. So i can adjust...
And about the RAM, I'm planning to add another 4 GB stick soon...
m
l
May 15, 2012 4:46:18 PM

At that resolution, the 6850 is almost overkill. You could probably get away with a 6770 if money is tight. (check out these benchmarks from Anandtech)

As far as the RAM goes, that makes sense although if you are going to add another stick soon, you might consider just buying a 2x4Gb kit now.
m
l
May 15, 2012 4:47:20 PM

The only problem is the UPS right ??? Well IMO no need for UPS , I also don't use it

Its just my Opinion .....
(I am also Indian ...... Power Cuts :p  )

Yes your components will get damaged if that borrowed PSU explodes !!
m
l
May 15, 2012 5:08:54 PM

You are over thinking about PSU .... I am using Corsair Gs600 without any problems .
m
l
May 15, 2012 6:06:11 PM

Question 3:

You are right, you can not use a regular UPS (steped sine wave) with a Active Power Factor Power Supply.

Here in the US, I have an APC Back-UPS ES 725 and it works fine with my older Antec SmartPower 2.0 Power Supply, but with the newer Active Power Factor Antec Earthwatts when the UPS switches to battery the Power Supply shuts down!

And you are right Pure Sine Wave UPS are more expensive.
m
l
May 16, 2012 3:50:55 AM

subasteve5800 said:
At that resolution, the 6850 is almost overkill. You could probably get away with a 6770 if money is tight. (check out these benchmarks from Anandtech)

As far as the RAM goes, that makes sense although if you are going to add another stick soon, you might consider just buying a 2x4Gb kit now.

I just want to be future proof... I like to play games on Square monitor... I don't like game play in wide screen monitors...

And about 6850, i just want to be future proof... Atleast for a year... I think for the given resolution, FX 4100 is ok and it leaves a good upgrade path if i'm not mistaken...
m
l
May 16, 2012 3:53:20 AM

bkoop said:
Question 3:

You are right, you can not use a regular UPS (steped sine wave) with a Active Power Factor Power Supply.

Here in the US, I have an APC Back-UPS ES 725 and it works fine with my older Antec SmartPower 2.0 Power Supply, but with the newer Active Power Factor Antec Earthwatts when the UPS switches to battery the Power Supply shuts down!

And you are right Pure Sine Wave UPS are more expensive.

Thats the trouble.. I can't switch to a better branded PSU because all of them has PFC...!!!
m
l
May 16, 2012 4:28:26 AM

subasteve5800 said:
Hi,

Answers below:

I MoBo i chose has 4 RAM slots, and i'm planning only to use 2 slots for now or in the near future...
And also GSkill is far better in clearance than Corsair Vengeance....
For the CPU cooler, how about Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Cooler..??? I hope it is better that the one that i chose...
Could you tell me how to add another quality fan in the Push-Pull configuration on Hyper 212 EVO...???
And does the Hyper 212 EVO also blocks the RAM slots..???
[/msgquoted said:

I believe going for an Intel SSD is a wise thing... A 60 GB, as a boot drive... said:
I believe going for an Intel SSD is a wise thing... A 60 GB, as a boot drive...

The problem is not with his PSU, it is with his UPS... We can't afford a pure sine wave UPS here... We can buy an i5-2500k with that amount here.. :kaola:
Its a fine working PSU... But the PFC messes with the UPs, and after a year.. Kaboom..!!! :pt1cable:
said:

The problem is not with his PSU, it is with his UPS... We can't afford a pure sine wave UPS here... We can buy an i5-2500k with that amount here.. :kaola: 
Its a fine working PSU... But the PFC messes with the UPs, and after a year.. Kaboom..!!! :pt1cable: 

I'm sorry to say this. But we can't expect same quality for the products made by any company to be same in US and India.
A lot of Indian users have bad experience with XFX products and their Customer Service... Thats why I turned to Sapphire...
said:

I'm sorry to say this. But we can't expect same quality for the products made by any company to be same in US and India.
A lot of Indian users have bad experience with XFX products and their Customer Service... Thats why I turned to Sapphire...

I will stick to this one.... thanx for the advice bro'...
said:

Some other notes:

Another sad fact... It will take months for IvyBridge to launch here... We had to wait 3 years for the Iphone to launch in India...
Still the Sandy Bridge price is high here... I would luv to have a Sandy Bridge i5 2500k, but no use... But I can't wait months for the prices to drop.. Maybe 2 weeks... Lets wait and see...

And do you think there will much notable difference between the performance of Bulldozer and Phenom..??? Consider my monitor resolution and the GPU i chose..
I have to consider TDP here... Electrical bills is now shocking here....
Bulldozer TDP=95 Watts
Phenom TDP=125 Watts
said:

Another sad fact... It will take months for IvyBridge to launch here... We had to wait 3 years for the Iphone to launch in India...
Still the Sandy Bridge price is high here... I would luv to have a Sandy Bridge i5 2500k, but no use... But I can't wait months for the prices to drop.. Maybe 2 weeks... Lets wait and see...

And do you think there will much notable difference between the performance of Bulldozer and Phenom..??? Consider my monitor resolution and the GPU i chose..
Bulldozer TDP=95 Watts
Phenom TDP=125 Watts

I have to leave it to the end. If i can spare another $300 in the end then i will surely go for another 4GB stick...
said:

I have to leave it to the end. If i can spare another $300 in the end then i will surely go for another 4GB stick...

Good luck and happy building]
I MoBo i chose has 4 RAM slots, and i'm planning only to use 2 slots for now or in the near future...
And also GSkill is far better in clearance than Corsair Vengeance....
For the CPU cooler, how about Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Cooler..??? I hope it is better that the one that i chose...
Could you tell me how to add another quality fan in the Push-Pull configuration on Hyper 212 EVO...???
And does the Hyper 212 EVO also blocks the RAM slots..???

I believe going for an Intel SSD is a wise thing... A 60 GB, as a boot drive... said:
I believe going for an Intel SSD is a wise thing... A 60 GB, as a boot drive...

said:

said:

said:

Some other notes:

Bulldozer TDP=95 Watts
Phenom TDP=125 Watts
said:

Bulldozer TDP=95 Watts
Phenom TDP=125 Watts

said:

m
l
May 16, 2012 5:56:32 AM

hasnain11 said:
The only problem is the UPS right ??? Well IMO no need for UPS , I also don't use it

I don't think you are living in india at all :kaola:
Buddy I have a dozen power failures a day and if i don't keep a UPS, my components will be fried in a week... :pt1cable: [/msgquoted said:

Yes your components will get damaged if that borrowed PSU explodes !!]
I don't think you are living in india at all :kaola: 
Buddy I have a dozen power failures a day and if i don't keep a UPS, my components will be fried in a week... :pt1cable: 

Yes your components will get damaged if that borrowed PSU explodes !!
m
l
May 17, 2012 5:00:09 PM

^+1,seasonic>cooler master for power supplies
212 evo is a great cooler for it's price.
for case antec 300 is good.
m
l
May 27, 2012 4:45:11 AM

Best answer selected by roshithbalu.
m
l
!