Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What else do I need?

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 15, 2012 5:50:52 PM

Here are my PC components (that I have ordered)


Intel i7 3770k 3.5GHz
Gigabyte (OC) 2GB GTX 670
Corsair 8GB RAM 1600MHz LP
Corsair 650W PSU
Noctua NH-U12P Double Fan
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Sata 3 HDD
Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Motherboard
Pioneer DVD Drive
Lexa S Case
BenQ 21.5" 1920x1080p Monitor

When these components arrive, would I be able to put all the components together, and use my PC on the same day? Or do I need extra wires?

If so, what do I need? ^_^

More about : question

a b B Homebuilt system
May 15, 2012 6:04:52 PM

You will probably need a screw driver, that's all. If you're interested in cleaning up the wiring, get some extensions. If not, you're good.
May 15, 2012 6:14:03 PM

FinneousPJ said:
You will probably need a screw driver, that's all. If you're interested in cleaning up the wiring, get some extensions. If not, you're good.


Omg, really?

So where do all those wires come from that plug from the motherboard into the graphics card and case and 'stuff like that' ? o.O

Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
May 15, 2012 6:16:04 PM

Yup, all present and correct there except for a phillipshead screwdriver, cup of coffee and a decent undisturbed clean space to assemble it in,
you may want to read through Section four here before it all arrives though,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/288241-13-read-post...
Section three is a troubleshooter, but shout up if theres anything you are unsure of, BEFORE trying to glue the ram into place with epoxy resin :p 
Just kidding, we are here to help man,
**Edit, all the cables in your case come from the powersupply, except the frontpanel cables for power switch, reset, and some lights
Moto
a b B Homebuilt system
May 15, 2012 6:16:45 PM

You don't plug any wires from the mobo to the GPU. The GPU goes into the PCIE slot on the mobo :lol: 
a b B Homebuilt system
May 15, 2012 6:17:36 PM

From the power supply of course. What Fin is talking about is, have Cable extensions to make the build look clean. But the cables that plug into the motherboard and graphics cards and such.. Come from the power supply
a b B Homebuilt system
May 15, 2012 6:18:38 PM

Yup and the cables to the case come with the case ;) 
May 15, 2012 6:19:44 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Yup, all present and correct there except for a phillipshead screwdriver, cup of coffee and a decent undisturbed clean space to assemble it in,
you may want to read through Section four here before it all arrives though,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/288241-13-read-post...
Section three is a troubleshooter, but shout up if theres anything you are unsure of, BEFORE trying to glue the ram into place with epoxy resin :p 
Just kidding, we are here to help man,
**Edit, all the cables in your case come from the powersupply, excpet the frontpanel cables for power switch, reset, and some lights
Moto


Oh... dude....

God bless the PSU! xD

How long did it take you to build your first time PC?

I watched the newegg tutorial, will have it playing when fixing my PC >.>

So the motherboard is super glued to the outside of the case, right?
May 15, 2012 6:20:16 PM

FinneousPJ said:
You don't plug any wires from the mobo to the GPU. The GPU goes into the PCIE slot on the mobo :lol: 


*Facepalm*
May 15, 2012 6:31:53 PM

jediarron said:
Oh... dude....

God bless the PSU! xD

How long did it take you to build your first time PC?

I watched the newegg tutorial, will have it playing when fixing my PC >.>

So the motherboard is super glued to the outside of the case, right?


Yes, make sure all the solder points on the bottom of the mobo make contact with the metal siding of your case after its superglued.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 15, 2012 6:37:41 PM

**So the motherboard is super glued to the outside of the case, right**
EPOXY Glue! ffs don't you people listen.....
:p 
You'll be fine man, despite our best efforts hehe
First build? bout an hour, because like you I asked the questions first, so I'd already done it in my head a ton of times before the hardware arrived,
and it was only a couple of years ago...
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...
Latest one,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...
and I modified the graphics cards to take waterblocks while keeping the shrouds, and built a radbox for more cooling,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/272443-11-asus-6950...
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274180-11-psycho-ri...
Seriously, don't worry, relax and ask before trying something you aren't sure of and you'll be powering up later today no problem
(Hardware factory faults notwithstanding ofc, doa kit does happen)
Moto
May 15, 2012 6:57:45 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
**So the motherboard is super glued to the outside of the case, right**
EPOXY Glue! ffs don't you people listen.....
:p 
You'll be fine man, despite our best efforts hehe
First build? bout an hour, because like you I asked the questions first, so I'd already done it in my head a ton of times before the hardware arrived,
and it was only a couple of years ago...
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...
Latest one,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...
and I modified the graphics cards to take waterblocks while keeping the shrouds, and built a radbox for more cooling,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/272443-11-asus-6950...
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274180-11-psycho-ri...
Seriously, don't worry, relax and ask before trying something you aren't sure of and you'll be powering up later today no problem
(Hardware factory faults notwithstanding ofc, doa kit does happen)
Moto


Well there was a problem with my order, so my mum... LAWL... is reordering tomorrow. Should arrive on Friday.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 15, 2012 7:03:47 PM

Cool, more time to research and plan cable management hehe :) 
I'm a cable tidying monster by the way, check the galleries for some great looking builds, and some not so great, they soon tidy up nicely though,
I got your Pm and responded btw
Moto
May 15, 2012 7:43:43 PM

Few tips from me:

When inserting the ram make sure they properly click, sometimes you need to put suprisingly big amount of pressure till they are properly in. (Also check Mobo manual on which dimm slots to use first, if only 2 ram sticks)

Find and peal off any plastic cover off graphics card and any other parts.
Today I found out my graphics card from last january still had a "Peal plastic cover before use". Hmm

Plan where all the case wires, and all the PSU cables will go to try and keep it as neat as possible. I skipped this step when I did my build (First time) and kind of regret it. (Looks messy)
May 15, 2012 8:15:24 PM

orkie said:
Few tips from me:

When inserting the ram make sure they properly click, sometimes you need to put suprisingly big amount of pressure till they are properly in. (Also check Mobo manual on which dimm slots to use first, if only 2 ram sticks)

Find and peal off any plastic cover off graphics card and any other parts.
Today I found out my graphics card from last january still had a "Peal plastic cover before use". Hmm

Plan where all the case wires, and all the PSU cables will go to try and keep it as neat as possible. I skipped this step when I did my build (First time) and kind of regret it. (Looks messy)


Hehe, thanks, helpful tips.

Btw, what is a 'dimm slot' ?

Also, what games do you play? ^_^
May 15, 2012 9:27:39 PM

Dimm slots are the slots for RAM in the motherboard.

I don't play that many games anymore but the 2 games I do play occasionally atm are Battlefield 3 and League of Legends. I'm also waiting for delivery on Diablo 3 but got exams all month so won't be playing much at all. :/ 
May 15, 2012 10:27:47 PM

orkie said:
Dimm slots are the slots for RAM in the motherboard.

I don't play that many games anymore but the 2 games I do play occasionally atm are Battlefield 3 and League of Legends. I'm also waiting for delivery on Diablo 3 but got exams all month so won't be playing much at all. :/ 


I think it's worth mentioning the greaty irony and coincidence this is.

My machine was designed primarily for league of legends, and battlefield 3 (secondly)..

I had EXACTLY those two games in mind... I think we are long lost brothers o.o
!