Create Data Partition

I have a newly formatted HDD that has XP Pro on it.
How can I create a partition that I can save all my documents to?

Using the Disk Management snap-in
Start|Run|diskmgmt.msc

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"J" wrote:
|I have a newly formatted HDD that has XP Pro on it.
| How can I create a partition that I can save all my documents to?

Then what?

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Using the Disk Management snap-in
> Start|Run|diskmgmt.msc
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "J" wrote:
> |I have a newly formatted HDD that has XP Pro on it.
> | How can I create a partition that I can save all my documents to?

What indeed. I don't know what you're asking.

--

"J" wrote:
| Then what?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Download BootIT-NG from Terabyte.com - I've just finished setting up new
laptop with. First I make the partitions, then I put the operating systems
in the partitions I want, and the music, documents, downloads, etc. in
their own. Always worked a treat for me, and you don't have to buy a thing
to do it.
"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> Using the Disk Management snap-in
> Start|Run|diskmgmt.msc
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "J" wrote:
> |I have a newly formatted HDD that has XP Pro on it.
> | How can I create a partition that I can save all my documents to?

If it has been newly formatted and you XP has been installed I can only
assume that XP has created a partition to include all the available drive
space. In this instance the disk management console in control panel
administrative tools will be of no use to you. You will only be able to use
this option if you have available 'free space'
You can check this by going to Control panel and clicking administrative
tools icon. In admin tools window click computer management icon. When the
computer management window opens look at the menu on the left of the window
and click the disk management option. Another window will open showing the
hard drive/partition details. You will also see, at the bottom of the
window, a coloured graph with the words XP Home (or professional depending
upon which version you have) the size of the partition followed by healthy
(system) or (boot). If you have a 80GB hard drive, for example and xp has
allocated all the space to one partition the graph will show the drive as
being 80GB or whatever the size of your drive. If, on the other hand, you
see the word 'free space' then you can right click on the free space and
from the drop down menu select new partition. A wizard will then guide you
through the creation of a new partition.
If you don't have any free space you will need third party software such as
partition magic to reduce the current xp partition and then allow you to
create a new partition.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"brian" <thefergies_at_inicia.es> wrote:
| Download BootIT-NG from Terabyte.com - I've just finished setting up new
| laptop with. First I make the partitions, then I put the operating systems
| in the partitions I want, and the music, documents, downloads, etc. in
| their own. Always worked a treat for me, and you don't have to buy a thing
| to do it.

BootIT-NG from Terabyte.com is not freeware.

| "J" wrote:
| | Then what?

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote:
| What indeed. I don't know what you're asking.

"How can I create a partition that I can save all my documents to?"
is what he asked.

This cannot be done via "Start|Run|diskmgmt.msc", as you suggested.
He needs a 3rd-party app such as Bootit-Ng or Partition Magic for that.

Why?

Is his HDD formatted as a single partition for the entire HDD?

Yes it can IF there is unallocated space.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff