Windows Installation with a Marvell 91xx controller and an SSD

benbenolson

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
Okay, so earlier today I got the BSOD directly after installing Winamp. So I restarted the computer, which now won't start up. It sits at "Starting Windows..." for about a minute, then Blue Screens again and shuts down.

So I want to reinstall Windows, and I have a disk for it. I boot from the DVD, and it doesn't recognize my SSD that I have plugged into the SATA 6GB/s ports. So I try switching it to 3GB/s, which doesn't work either, and then try plopping in my mobo's driver installation disk, and try installing every Marvell driver that's on there. Of course, Windows fails to install any of the drivers because they're "unsigned." Well, the message also says that I can try installing unsigned x32 drivers, but when I try that I get the exact same message.

Frustrated, I dunno what else to do. I installed Windows 7 on the computer originally when I built it, using a different CD, but now I can't find that disc. Any suggestions/driver links? I've already scoured the Internet and tried installing every driver known to Man, but apparently all of these are unsigned (even though they are signed when I copy them from my laptop to a flash drive).

So Windows 7 installation doesn't detect my SSD, but an old Mandriva disk that I had laying around does? SERIOUSLY? I just want to install Windows again! I don't even care how I have to do it.

alexpho

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Ha Ha. I am sorry to get a giggle out of your misery but I just came off the same fiasco. I would love to help would probably need more info. I have actually become an expert in this after reinstalling Windows 7 like a zillion times on my SSD drive. Would it be by chance you have a Gigabyte motherboard , an OCZ SSD, and an Intel I7?

benbenolson

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
Yes, I have a Gigabyte motherboard, but unfortunately my SSD is a Mushkin and my processor is an i5 (I cheaped out on that one...). Yeah, but how the heck do I get it working? I ended up installing Windows on one of my other hard drives, but I still really want to install on my SSD. So what do I do?

alexpho

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
First, What is the model of your Gigabyte MB? And you don't have the utility disc right? And Windows 7 64 disc you have?

Get that info first and I'll try to help.

Thanks

annietimgrewe

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

Did you ever find a solution to your Marvell 91xx and SSD issue? I have a new build that started having issues. Some I linked to the nvidia dirver (I think... I am using an older driver for my 560ti 2G based on other threads about nvidia's bad drivers).
The initial problems caused me to force shut down. I have since had the computer sent back to the vendor for replacement parts:

mobo ASUS P6867 Deluxe
nvidia 560ti 2G
secondary hard drive (which was not visible all the time) Hitachi 2GB

I replaced basically everything in the unit except the RAM sticks (2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance) and the SSD (64GB ADATA S501 V2). Windows is still telling me that the Marvell 91xx device is not compatible with my version of windows. I am individually testing the RAM sticks by running 1 at a time per my vendor's suggestion.

I am still having problems with slow computer, especially with high memory tasks. CPU is Intel 7600K, I have 8 GB RAM, I should not have issues here. I am getting ready to install NEW ram and test it (I was going to add 8GB anyway), but I want to see if there's a way to test the SSD. The OS is on the SSD. I have reformatted, done memory tests, everything. I don't know how to look at or change bios. If the new RAM doesn't work, is it worth reinstalling windows (7, 64bit) on the Hitachi drive and uninstall the SDD? I appear to be having system memory issues that I can't nail down. But I have read about many issues with the Marvell controllers and the nvidia drivers.

What did you find out about the Marvell controllers and SSD drives? What alternative is there to a Marvell controller on my ASUS mobo?

I've seen threads that say to update the SSD firmware and download the latest Marvell driver, but I don't want to keep chasing my tail here! Primary problem right now is that computer starts up fine, but becomes very slow when working with spreadsheets, downloads, photoshop, etc. The computer is now totally getting hung up on very small tasks and I am having to force shut down. No errors warnings are occurring (that I've noticed).

benbenolson

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011

Well, this is bad news for you, but I finally found my problem after installing Windows on one of my other hard drives. See, I had two 1TB hard drives already installed which I used as my secondary and tertiary drives to store games, some big apps, etc., on, and that worked wonderfully. Until strange stuff started happening, like that BSOD and other stupid things like apps crashing, etc.

My problem was that my SSD had died. Completely. I installed Windows on one of the other hard drives, and even with a full Windows installation, my computer could not detect the SSD with any drivers whatsoever. Bringing up the hard drive management window after putting the SSD in would crash my computer, and going to "My Computer" would do the same. So, I turned to my old friend Linux to help out. After testing the SSD out with multiple Linux distros (including BackTrack, Ubuntu 11.10, and, I think, Lubuntu), I determined that the SSD was gone for good. One of my friends even took apart an old external hard drive with a SATA controller inside of it, and plugged the SSD up to his computer through USB. The computer detected that the SSD existed, but would not view any of the contents, format it, or partition it.

So, my problem was not with the Marvel drivers. I repeat, this was not a drivers problem. I thought that it was because the Windows installer wouldn't install on my SSD. It was merely because my Mushkin SSD had breathed its last (I think it was only a few months that it lived) breath. So. Lesson learned. Don't buy Mushkin.

annietimgrewe

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

Thanks for the info. I am installing new RAM and will get a new SSD from Ibuypower when they get one in stock. After my troubles with SSDs, however, I'm reluctant to use it. What a pain! I think that my SSD, being only 64GB, also had issues with temp memory when I was using any type of graphics. The SSD was not full, but that may have contributed to some of the memory crashes.