Sign in with
Your question

Building onto a Dell Optiplex 210l

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 13, 2012 12:24:57 AM

Hi guys, kinda new to this just know the basics. I have a Dell Optiplex 210l that I want to upgrade, starting with the video card. I have been looking into it a lot and am looking for a video card that would work well with the system, I have 2 gigs in it and it is the full size tower version not the slim one. I realize it's a computer that should be tossed and just put money into a better computer but I want to see how far I can push this machine. Any advice on known video cards that are decent with games and videos, and work well with this system would be well appreciated. (Note I see a lot of things around the web about power issues on these machines, as they were supposedly tuned down power wise)
March 13, 2012 12:59:04 AM

"I want to see how far I can push this machine"... Why???

What games that you can't currently play are you hoping/expecting to work with the new graphics card?

To be honest don't waste your money, save up for a new build.

Related resources
March 13, 2012 1:17:24 AM

aaab said:
"I want to see how far I can push this machine"... Why???

What games that you can't currently play are you hoping/expecting to work with the new graphics card?

To be honest don't waste your money, save up for a new build.

Well I have a machine to play more recent games with, that's not the problem. I want to upgrade this system for my brother to play games like the Sims smoothly.
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 1:27:42 AM

Budget? Without upgrading your PSU, though, I would recommend a Radeon 6670.
March 13, 2012 1:34:03 AM

fb39ca4 said:
Budget? Without upgrading your PSU, though, I would recommend a Radeon 6670.

Not too worried about the budget right now, although I don't want to put a lot of money into any equipment for this machine as you can imagine. I'll take a look at it thanks
March 13, 2012 1:40:19 AM

What CPU do you have in it?
March 13, 2012 1:48:13 AM

aaab said:
What CPU do you have in it?

Intel Pentium 4 3.20 Ghz
a c 179 U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 2:26:05 AM

Could you list all of your spec's. Also your P4 is going to keep you on a low end card and does your MOBO even have a PCIe x 16 slot. One of my Dells is a Optiplex 320.

When I bought it they said that this was one of the upgrads with the PCIe x 16 slot. So that is why I am asking. Just make sure if you have a PCIe slot find out if it is a 1.0 or a 2.0. Then repost and thanks.
a c 179 U Graphics card
March 13, 2012 2:36:10 AM

I just went looking and found this a mother board (MOBO) for the optiplex 210 and it does not have a PCIe x 16 slot. You have the AGP type slots which is really going to be hard to find one.

I hope I am wrong about your MOBO. But look at this and see if it looks like yours.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-0HC918-Optiplex-210L-Mothe...
March 20, 2012 12:13:48 AM

DM186 said:
I just went looking and found this a mother board (MOBO) for the optiplex 210 and it does not have a PCIe x 16 slot. You have the AGP type slots which is really going to be hard to find one.

I hope I am wrong about your MOBO. But look at this and see if it looks like yours.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-0HC918-Optiplex-210L-Mothe...

Ha yeah that's it, ive been looking around and decided to give up ill stick with keeping this machine for strictly business ventures, thanks very much for your help though
a c 179 U Graphics card
March 20, 2012 1:41:14 AM

Your welcome and I hope you can put together a rig for little brother. Believe or not they sometime deserve it. Good luck
October 20, 2012 10:55:20 AM

ManPanda92 said:
*Was looking at a MSI N8400GS-MD256H/TC GeForce 8400 GS 512MB Turbocache (256M) 64-bit PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card on Newegg*
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

you do know you will have to find a basic pci video card they are still around but memory is sometimes limited along with cup range
the system does not have a pci express slot
November 19, 2012 11:59:58 AM

Actually, the white slots are standard PCI. The small black connector is a PCIe (x1) slot. I would look for a PCIe card. I am also look for a decent graphics board, to upgrade one of the computers for my user here at work.
!