Sign in with
Your question

AMD FX 8150 overclocking error

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 2, 2012 3:23:54 PM

Hi.

SO i got net cpu AMD FX 8150 liquid cooleed and mobo. I was doing benchmarks with turbo mode on, then I got idea to just change clock from 4,2ghz to 5,2ghz...

And bam now when I start computer from power button it just starts normally even CPU liquid system runs correctly but screen stays black... I can't even get to post screen to reset it from bios to default settings.

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-UD3

So is there any solutions to try to get clock rate to back normal by myself? Or could it be better to carry my comp in experts hand? Could the expert fix this?

Thx for help already.
a c 109 à CPUs
September 2, 2012 3:25:52 PM

Turn off your comp, take out the battery on the mobo for a few minutes (5-10 minutes) and put it back in shiny side up.
September 2, 2012 3:27:15 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
Turn off your comp, take out the battery on the mobo for a few minutes (5-10 minutes) and put it back in shiny side up.

I am such a noob so do you mean that the "battery" is the lithium battery or the psu or the CPU? : p
Related resources
a c 109 à CPUs
September 2, 2012 3:31:59 PM

The CPU isn't a battery, nor is the PSU unless you have a UPS.

It looks like this kinda-

And yes the lithium battery.
September 2, 2012 3:41:11 PM

Thx very much :)  got it back on damn I first scared :p  this is my first custom CPU+mobo setup.
a c 109 à CPUs
September 2, 2012 3:42:44 PM

Your welcome, if your OC goes bad always do this, its called clearing CMOS (you might of heard of it), it basically resets the bios to default.

Next time though go up in small steps and test stability and make sure you have a adequate cooler.
September 2, 2012 8:31:01 PM

Erkki554 said:
I am such a noob so do you mean that the "battery" is the lithium battery or the psu or the CPU? : p

there is a battery on your motherboard, just follow this guide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdp_L5IxaNI
a b à CPUs
September 2, 2012 9:04:21 PM

Check your mobo manual there should be a pin to reset CMOS maybe even a button. For when it happens again ;) 
a c 480 à CPUs
a c 122 À AMD
September 2, 2012 9:20:42 PM

It's generally a bad idea to go from stock speed to an instant 1.0GHz overclock especially if you are a noobie. Overclocking involves much more than just increasing the frequency / multiplier.
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 2, 2012 10:33:19 PM

After re-setting your CMOS (or pulling the battery), you will have to re-configure your HDD/SSD setup and properly set your boot sequence...
!