CPU cooler going full while doing simple tasks

Justhavocman

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Hello there , im running an i7-2600 3.4GHz , i got a Coolermaster V8 cpu cooler which for some reason makes an immense ammount of noise when doing simple tasks , such as opening some programes , playing games that require low graphics and so on ! Thing is , this has been going on for only the past week , didnt happen when i first bought the Cooler , i have considered replacing the stock fan just in case , any other explenations?

What has changed?

Some possible reasons:

1) The fan is spinning up because the cpu cooler is not keeping the cpu cool enough.
Check your cpu temperatures. Possibly the cooler has come loose.

2) The bios has been set to run the cpu fan at maximum speed at all times.

3) You are using a 3 pin fan on the cooler which will run at full speed. A PWM 4 pin fan will be controlled by the motherboard.

jay_nar2012

Distinguished

A 3 pin can also be controlled but by voltage instead of frequency.

InvalidError

Titan
Since the way OP worded it makes it sound like the fan goes from normal to full speed when going from idle to low load, I would place my bet on HSF mounting problem.

Use CPUID HardwareInfo or other temperature monitoring software to take a look at what your idle/load temperatures are. If your idle temperatures are over 45C and almost instantaneously jump to over 75C under load, you definitely have a major HSF mounting issue.

Justhavocman

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

Hmmm 1) Im getting 35-40 idle temps and 40-50 TOPS on full load , what do you mean by coming loose? i will need to re-mount it on the mobo?

2) i dont know how to configure my bios im afraid , although when idle it does not go full out on me , only when doing some tasks as opening programes\games

3) Well the cooler has a manual fan speed controll but when i open the programes it goes on auto-mode , thus spining up !

Justhavocman

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

Current temps 36 on idle , not exceeding 47 on mid-load

1) You temps are fine, no need for a cooler remount or such.

2) Read your motherboard manual, where it explains all of the bios settings.
Look for some option such as fan control options. If there is an option to set the fan to run at a constant 50% or such, I would pick that. I find it annoying to have a constantly fluctuating fan sound. Yes, the cpu will get a bit hotter under load, but that is not dangerous. The cpu will throttle to protect itself if it gets too hot.

3) I am not much in favor of software speed controls and prefer a constant speed.

If you want, you can buy a simple fan controller like the Zalman fanmate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118217&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

InvalidError

Titan
Next time you reboot, check your BIOS options for CPU fan profile, maybe it is set for the highest-speed profile. On Asus boards, the profiles are usually named "Quiet", "Normal" and "Performance" with Performance being the loudest of the three. Turn that option down a notch or two.

In my PC, my 212+ fan runs at 700RPM idle and 900RPM full-load on a hot day on Quiet setting while the "Performance" range is from 1200RPM idle to 1800RPM full-load which starts to get pretty loud.

Justhavocman

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

As mentioned above , the cooler already has a fan controller , but it goes on auto-drive when opening a programe and starts spining up ! I will try to find my mobo's manual online and see what i can do about configuering the speed on bios ! thank you for your help , any chance its just a noisy fan? could it be fixed by replacing the stock fan?

InvalidError

Titan

Look at idle/load fan RPMs to see how much of a jump you get to have an idea of whether this is the fan controller over-reacting to load/temperature change or the fan being noisy.