Sign in with
Your question

AMD - Phenom X6 1055T OC VS Phenom x4 965BE

Last response: in CPUs
September 2, 2012 4:55:58 PM

Alright, so right now I have a AMD Phenom x6 1055T and would like to upgrade. I have 2 things I can do to increase performance on games.

1) Get a new CPU with higher clock speeds Price:$100
2) Buy a Mobo and CPU Fan for OC my 1055T to around 3.4GHz Price:$130

I need a new motherboard because I cannot overclock with mine right now. What do you guys think? Which one should I take that will be better for gaming?

I mainly want to get better CPU speeds because I have a Radeon 7850 that is not getting its full potential.
a c 184 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 2, 2012 6:44:37 PM

Depends.

But your 7850 is getting it's full potential, nothing really is wrong with your rig.
September 2, 2012 7:56:43 PM

amuffin said:
Depends.

But your 7850 is getting it's full potential, nothing really is wrong with your rig.

Runs at 60% ultra settings on skyrim when I am getting 40fps. CPU is holding it back.
Related resources
September 3, 2012 2:11:43 AM

Anyone else? I was also thinking about getting a i5 3570k with a new motherboard but I would need to wait it out.
a c 163 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 3, 2012 2:33:05 AM

get an am3+ motherboard and wait for piledriver, my 1055t at stock plays bf3 no prob with a 6770, lower end card but i play high settings @1080p with 30+ fps and cpu isnt near %100. I know Skyrim isnt going to use 6 cores, but OC it with a new board and if it still hurts turn off 2 cores and upgrade to a piledriver fx cpu, those will prob and hopefully will be better than bulldozer and older Phenom II x4/x6.

I've had my cpu to 3.4Ghz, and i dont notice any difference but my gpu isnt being bottlenecked by the cpu so i guess i dont see anything, i dont keep it oc'd cause my fire starting msi mobo, and low end psu, but there getting replaced and will enjoy my 6 core with hope of not upgrading for a while.
a c 448 à CPUs
a c 111 À AMD
September 3, 2012 2:55:06 AM

lazyboy947 said:
get an am3+ motherboard and wait for piledriver...

PileDriver will probably be only a 10% improvement over Phenom II / FX which will make it as fast as a 1st generation Core i3/i5/i7 CPU. At this point we can only wait for the CPU to be released and benchmarked, but I believe a 10% improvement is a fair assessment.

If you believe you CPU is holding back your performance, then you want an 3rd gen Ivy Bridge Core i5 CPU. Naturally it will likely cost more than a PileDriver CPU, then again if PileDriver can indeed match the 1st gen Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs, then Ivy Bridge CPUs will be about 18% faster than PileDriver. I'm sure the price difference will likely be a little more than 18% between a PileDriver CPU and it's comparable Ivy Bridge competitor, but going for a more powerful CPU means that in future you are more likely to upgrade later rather than sooner, thus saving you some money in the long run since you are more likely to postpone upgrading.
!